🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Deacon

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (1987)

Yes, I was lucky enough to have seen this movie in theater. I was able to choose any movie for my birthday that year, pretty sure I was in 4th grade. I 'd remember it fondly for years, then I rented it when I was like 22 and couldn't believe just how amazingly bad it was. It is the first movie that came to mind for HDTGM to tackle. I think I would also give it another try now too. I may love it more than ever now.

People need to start up-voting this on the "For Your Inconsideration" page. http://fyi.earwolf.com/movie/10337

It's not even in the top ten. I mean Space Jam? C'mon. That has no place alongside elite garbage like GPK.

That's not how the poll works. The ten choices in the poll are the contenders for this week, after the next show they will be swapped out with new choices. So, you can vote for Garbage Pail Kids when it's on the poll, but for now you can give it 5 garbage cans!

Thanks for clarifying that Shannon, I wasn't clear on how that worked.

Here's where it gets weird. The cards this movie was based on were designed by Pulitzer prize winning comic book creator Art Speigelman, creator of Maus.

Wow, that is deeply depressing... almost moreso than "Maus" itself.

This is one of those few movies that is funner to talk about than actually watch. The movie is about 90 minutes long, but I spent 2 1/2 hours explaining the movie to my friend.

This movie is the DEFINITION of "next level bonkers."

I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said. It is not on Netflix Instant anymore, but is on Youtube in its entirety for free. (Note: You will, unfortunately, not be able to read some of the amazing signs on the Youtube version, including some of the signs for the "Too Ugly" prisoners and the sewage pipe labels.)

Also, is it the only movie based solely on a trading card series?

Also, is it the only movie based solely on a trading card series?

"Mars Attacks" was also a trading card series before it was a movie, I think.

This movie is #2 on the voting page, we need to move this up. This could be as good of a podcast as the sleepaway camp episode. Please vote this one up people.

• Like 2

Although I haven't seen this one yet, based on the trailer I think this would make for a great episode. It's Pat was pretty crazy/bad but I don't know how good of an episode it would make.

And if I had seen this movie when I was a kid I definitely would have had nightmares.

Finally watched this last night. Even if you edit out the garbage pail kids and just follow the humans, it's already one of the strangest and most incomprehensible things I've ever seen. Juice and the gang throw Dodger down the sewer, kick him unconscious, and then try to DROWN HIM because he gave Tangerine a pin and touched her hand? And why does Manzini have magic powers? Where are everyone's parents? At the fashion show, Juice is on the phone orchestrating a massive drug deal? THE STATE HOME FOR THE UGLY? As mentioned above, there are just so many WTF moments in this movie.

And then once you throw in the titular characters it's just next level bananas. GPK would make for one of the most entertaining episodes of HDTGM ever. Such a missed opportunity if this doesn't get chosen.

I can't stop thinking about this movie. Two things in it that I genuinely liked, full stop. 1) The title sequence with the GPK cards floating is space was well done. 2) The generic labels/signs are baffling but really cool in a Repo Man/They Live kind of way.

Everyone needs to get the word out about voting for this. Seriously. It's going to lose to Pat and Double Dragon. DO IT!

http://fyi.earwolf.com/

To be honest, I don't know if I can vote for this, because I'd feel a little guilty about Paul, June and Jason having to sit through it.

Man, this is so frustrating. It's Pat is pulling away on the FYI page. How? Why? The GPK Movie makes It's Pat look like Citizen Kane. There's not much noise about it on the forum, either, just mostly rejoicing the fact that Ween is in it.

• Like 1

Guys, don't give up hope! Slowly but surely, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is gaining some ground. During your Fourth of July celebrations this week, please make sure to tell all your friends that if they truly love America, they'll vote for GPK!!

"6 Kids Movies Clearly Made By People Who Hate Children"

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-kids-movies-clearly-made-by-people-who-hate-children/

This article popped up on Cracked the other day and features HDTGM alumni "Mac & Me" and "Super Mario Brothers" as well as perennial HDTGM-hopefuls "Baby Geniuses 2" and THIS.

Here's an excerpt:

Get past all of the bizarre and uncomfortable plot points and you're still left with the Garbage Pail Kids themselves. Imagine for a moment your blender. Imagine if the glass container of your blender could be removed, but the base, with the spinning blades, is intact. Now imagine those blades spinning away and someone maintaining eye contact with you as they begin doing naked squats over those blades. Squat after naked squat, each time getting a little lower, never breaking eye contact with you. And the horror builds and builds until the inevitable moment when that person squats their junk right down on that blender. That's what The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is like, a slow, terrible build up to something that has been terrible all along but just keeps getting worse.

[/left]

190302.jpg?v=1

That is 100% nightmare fuel if ever there was such a thing.

• Like 3

Oof, I spoke too soon, "It's Pat" is back to a commanding lead. But maybe that's not such a bad thing, as "Howard The Duck" was the previous third place finisher.

Oof, I spoke too soon, "It's Pat" is back to a commanding lead. But maybe that's not such a bad thing, as "Howard The Duck" was the previous third place finisher.

I see a bunch of boring movies so hopefully we can vote this movie up again.

Maybe they know how bad this movie is and they're just waiting till they really need it. Everything else will be down hill after GPK.

I mean, the Garbage Pail Kids were fashion designers? Amazing.

new-garbage-pail-kids-movie-in-development-86623-470-75.jpg

It's almost exactly a year since I last posted about this and still this movie hasn't been done by HDTGM. GPK is AMAZING. It will own your life. Seriously, worth watching. Nothing HDTGM has touched has been as strange as this movie. Ok, maybe Cool As Ice, but still.

I saw this a couple of years ago at a dive bar in Seattle as part of a long running series of beer and bad movies called Kung Fu Grindhouse. Advertised as "Like the Super Mario Bros. movie, only barfier!", it did not disappoint (but only as far as being something stupider and grosser than Super Mario Bros.) I don't know if its availability is a factor, but c'mon, we all watched "Mr. Nanny" and "Gooby", and those were not too easy to come by. So creepy, so wrong, so upsetting... So do this, already. Also,

• Like 1