🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 7 (Cinco DeNio's Pick)

And if she had a reason for encouraging that assumption, I'm sure she appreciates your nullifying it.

Chandler+Parsons+leaves+fan+hanging.gif

• Like 3

I've never seen, except I did start watching it last week (only saw like the first 10 minutes) and fell asleep.

Was not sure how I felt, but now I have to try again!

• Like 5

I really enjoyed this movie. I grew up with Jesse L. Martin as Detective Greene on Law and Order.

I went in cold, not knowing he was in it and he made me cry so hard.

• Like 7

Maybe she could change to Tomspanx and get some sweet sponsorship money.

No thanks, they can keep their money. Spanx (and other similar shapewear) is the debil. I got talked into buying one for a formal event, but I ended up taking it off and throwing it in the trash because I couldn't fucking breathe.

• Like 6

I don't know where else to post this, so totally off topic. But guys, I'm working on a new digital edition of an Elizabethan play which includes going through the Oxford English Dictionary for period definitions. So, I was working on the word 'Tragedia', and found this:

http://imgur.com/a/7tBY3

Look at the author of the last sample quotation. What's happened to you, OED? You used to be cool.

My point of course is that it's weird to see noted drug cheating baseball player turned reality TV star Jose Canseco is in the Oxford English Dictionary. From his book Juiced.

• Like 4

I don't know where else to post this, so totally off topic. But guys, I'm working on a new digital edition of an Elizabethan play which includes going through the Oxford English Dictionary for period definitions. So, I was working on the word 'Tragedia', and found this:

http://imgur.com/a/7tBY3

Look at the author of the last sample quotation. What's happened to you, OED? You used to be cool.

My point of course is that it's weird to see noted drug cheating baseball player turned reality TV star Jose Canseco is in the Oxford English Dictionary. From his book Juiced.

I didn't think it was possible to cover such a wide swath of my obsessions (baseball, dictionaries, translation) in such a small number of words, but here we are...

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I'm currently watching Rent and I'm noticing the bottles of Dos Equis on the table. I can't help but think that they're being a tad presumptuous.

• Like 7

I didn't think it was possible to cover such a wide swath of my obsessions (baseball, dictionaries, translation) in such a small number of words, but here we are...

giphy.gif

carmodel.gif

• Like 7

I've seen a stage version of Rent before, when I was a young lad, and watching the movie now (which I have never seen)... Jesus, this thing feels more dated than an Al Jolson number from The Jazz Singer.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I've heard the "dated" accusation twice now, and at the risk of sounding horribly naive or like an insensitive clod, I'm not sure I understand why.

Granted, I haven't finished it yet, so maybe something wildly offensive is waiting for me just around the corner, but since the movie establishes itself in the first line as taking place in 1989, I've been able to chalk a lot of the things that wouldn't fly today as "it was the Eighties, almost Nineties."

Please forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something huge. It's also possible that maybe this is a discussion that should be saved for the movie thread proper.

• Like 2

Please forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something huge. It's also possible that maybe this is a discussion that should be saved for the movie thread proper.

Gifs_62d919_5538250.gif

• Like 3

Gifs_62d919_5538250.gif

Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

I will say that it's the first MM movie to make me cry...

• Like 5

For me, it just feels very deliberately 90s, in the performances and in the songs. I say that being someone who feels the phrase "timeless" is overrated. Something like Star Trek is something that could ONLY have happened on TV in 1966, design-wise, aesthetically, it's cast, its social message, etc. The X-Files could have only happened in the 1990s, and is very 90s, for the same reasons, and you feel that watching those shows. I love that about those shows and I feel that it adds to their authenticity. They were genuine artifacts of their time and that's beautiful.

Rent just feels... disingenuous and engineered. Like the people who designed Poochie the Dog decided to write a musical. I know that might be an arbitrary distinction, but it's something I feel pretty distinctly while watching it.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I will say that it's the first MM movie to make me cry...

Except Across the Universe but you were crying about that mostly from seeing John Lennon murdered again.

• Like 4

For me, it just feels very deliberately 90s, in the performances and in the songs. I say that being someone who feels the phrase "timeless" is overrated. Something like Star Trek is something that could ONLY have happened on TV in 1966, design-wise, aesthetically, it's cast, its social message, etc. The X-Files could have only happened in the 1990s, and is very 90s, for the same reasons, and you feel that watching those shows. I love that about those shows and I feel that it adds to their authenticity. They were genuine artifacts of their time and that's beautiful.

Rent just feels... disingenuous and engineered. Like the people who designed Poochie the Dog decided to write a musical. I know that might be an arbitrary distinction, but it's something I feel pretty distinctly while watching it.

giphy.gif

But it was written during the late Eighties/ early Nineties...If you were to find a screenplay written and set in 1950, but decided to film it today, but keep it in the year it was set, wouldn't that be the same thing?

But it was written during the late Eighties/ early Nineties...If you were to find a screenplay written and set in 1950, but decided to film it today, but keep it in the year it was set, wouldn't that be the same thing?

• Like 2

I haven't rewatched it yet (and I mostly want to wait til next week to talk about it) but I saw the original production on Broadway and then the movie as soon as it came out, and the difference a decade made was amazing. The grittiness, youth, and energy of the zeitgeist that was present in the minimalist Broadway production, with music exactly suited to the gloomy 90's, felt strangely out of place with the more wrinkled, much more prosperous-looking original cast in the movie version to me. There are moments (and I will be sure to note them when I rewatch) that feel as clunky and old-fashioned as the synths in The Phantom of the Opera feel today. Maybe Rent needs a Chicago-style reboot/reorchestration to feel less dated. But I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it again.

• Like 1

Or maybe just adapting any piece of literature set in the past? Maybe I should be looking at this as a period piece? I was cognizant of Rent's origins going in, but it still just feels very forced to me. Maybe I am being unfair?

• Like 2

Or maybe just adapting any piece of literature set in the past? Maybe I should be looking at this as a period piece? I was cognizant of Rent's origins going in, but it still just feels very forced to me. Maybe I am being unfair?

Not at all. And I'm trying not to talk about it, but that's how I watched it. I chose to view Mark's camera as a time capsule preserving a very specific moment in time.

Several people have posted the Broadway filmed performance on YouTube. I'll watch this weekend to compare and contrast.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2

Damn it, I got 2 wrong. Can you do better?

Gdi I missed 1!

La Vie Boheme is the best song (until the very end because fuck the whole "you?" "me" "mimiiiiii" part)

• Like 3

Why can't it be Monday?

tenor.gif

I should have waited to watch this...

• Like 3

Why can't it be Monday?

tenor.gif

I should have waited to watch this...

I put it on when I got home last night, was surprised at how many songs I recognized/ knew I have heard before. But I'm not really sure how, because I've never watched this and I don't think I've listened to the soundtrack?

maybe I June'd it, and it left me immediately after watching or it's a repressed memory??

I still did not finish watching..haha. But it was just something I put on-- and was listening to as I was attempting to fall asleep, so I wasn't really trying to watch it.

I'll watch it for REAL soon. But wanted to comment on how crazy familiar the songs were even though I swear I haven't seen it before.

• Like 3