🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 8-Rent

stephen-colbert-told-you-so.gif

I can see why I would be Maureen too though lol

But you and CakeBug are definitely Angel & Tom!

• Like 6

Haha yes exactly!!

But then I don't get why Benny was letting them stay there for free in the first place??

On this note, I don't think I ever understood what a cyber studio was supposed to be. Or why Benny had to buy a whole neighborhood and kick people out to make it.

• Like 5

They WERE friends (They reconcile in the stage version). He owns the building and is letting them stay there. When Maureen decides to do her protest, he decides to kind of extort (not quit the right word) them for unpaid rent unless they deal with her.

Yeah, but was he letting the whole building stay for free as well? Looked like the whole building of tenants were singing that "they weren't gonna PAAAAAY" either

• Like 5

I want to reply to every comment in this thread with "But in the stage version...!"

But I'm refraining. Guys, I really loved the stage version. So if nothing else, I appreciate Cinco DeNino picking this and then Cameron for logging the stage version on Letterboxd so I realized it was available to watch a recording of that. Because that is definitely a new favorite.

• Like 6

I want to reply to every comment in this thread with "But in the stage version...!"

But I'm refraining. Guys, I really loved the stage version. So if nothing else, I appreciate Cinco DeNino picking this and then Cameron for logging the stage version on Letterboxd so I realized it was available to watch a recording of that. Because that is definitely a new favorite.

Same. Movie Version was okay. Stage version was legit great. Not only did it make more sense, but it was just more of a spectacle.

• Like 2

Same. Movie Version was okay. Stage version was legit great. Not only did it make more sense, but it was just more of a spectacle.

It also made more sense why, like, everything was done on those metal tables.

After the movie, I was like, "This should be called Tables: The Musical."

But it's for economy on the stage, and it's done REALLY well because the sets are so barebones and efficient.

• Like 4

Another note about her - she was catfished and made it onto the MTV show and it's a crazy interesting episode and you get to hear her rehearsing for another project and she still sounds amazing.

WTF! I need to watch this episode, but it's not available on mtv anymore, grrr.

Yeah, but was he letting the whole building stay for free as well? Looked like the whole building of tenants were singing that "they weren't gonna PAAAAAY" either

In the stage version (lol, I can't help it either), it was supposed to be just Mark & Roger who were being evicted (and later Mimi too I guess).

On this note, I don't think I ever understood what a cyber studio was supposed to be. Or why Benny had to buy a whole neighborhood and kick people out to make it.

He wanted the homeless ("tent city") gone from the vacant lot so he can build on it. He wanted the "cyber studio" on the bottom floor and condos on top. As per what this cyber studio was supposed to be like, I imagine it would have been something similar to Entertainment 720?

anigif_enhanced-24548-1450455041-14.gif

• Like 8

Or was Benny just crazy smart and was seeing the future of the internet laid before his eyes and was prepared to make that cash money??? Maybe it would have been like a cyber cafe without the cafe part???

• Like 8

He wanted the homeless ("tent city") gone from the vacant lot so he can build on it. He wanted the "cyber studio" on the bottom floor and condos on top. As per what this cyber studio was supposed to be like, I imagine it would have been something similar to Entertainment 720?

anigif_enhanced-24548-1450455041-14.gif

That visual makes everything better lmao I hope Cyber Studio is exactly Entertainment 720.

He could also idk repurpose another building. Might as well work with the crappy apartments you already own before putting more on your plate.

• Like 6

Or was Benny just crazy smart and was seeing the future of the internet laid before his eyes and was prepared to make that cash money??? Maybe it would have been like a cyber cafe without the cafe part???

Maybe it was to prepare for 1993's virtual reality craze!

• Like 5

I thought it was going to be some sort of studio for digital installations. But they never really specify what it is, so....I think it's a safe bet that it is exactly Entertainment 720.

• Like 6

Now I can't get the image of Benny as Jean-Ralphio out of my head

eLygr.gif

Do you think he bought the building after....

got-run-over-by-a-lexus.gif

• Like 7

In the stage version (lol, I can't help it either), it was supposed to be just Mark & Roger who were being evicted (and later Mimi too I guess).

Oh well then that makes more sense. I can get if he was just letting his friends stay for free, but think the movie made it seem like he was letting everyone stay for free.

But who was paying for their electricity, water/utilities? I'm sure they weren't.. I mean Mark couldn't even pay for tea at that Cafe.

It seems like they were taking advantage of Benny.

Idk guys, I side with Benny / probably am a Benny.

• Like 6

RE: Cyber Studio

I can't say for sure, for sure, but I thought Benny said something to Mark about it being good for him (i.e. his movie making). I thought of it as being kind of a place where you could go and rent equipment and studio time to put together your multimedia projects. If that's the case, then there was an irony in it as he's basically co-opting their scene. On a pragmatic level, the Cyber Studio sounds like something that would actually be beneficial to the artsy bohemian types living in Alphabet City, but since the price is "selling out" and gentrification, they gang is against it.

Does that make sense or did I just make up a thing?

• Like 8

Oh well then that makes more sense. I can get if he was just letting his friends stay for free, but think the movie made it seem like he was letting everyone stay for free.

But who was paying for their electricity, water/utilities? I'm sure they weren't.. I mean Mark couldn't even pay for tea at that Cafe.

It seems like they were taking advantage of Benny.

Idk guys, I side with Benny / probably am a Benny.

I wondered this, too. Because Benny shuts off the power. Maybe he was covering power for the building and then charging it as part of rent to everyone else? Some places do have utilities included in the rent, but I've always had to take care of my own electric bill. Maybe it's more common in NYC?

I really don't know.

• Like 6

RE: Cyber Studio

I can't say for sure, for sure, but I thought Benny said something to Mark about it being good for him (i.e. his movie making). I thought of it as being kind of a place where you could go and rent equipment and studio time to put together your multimedia projects. If that's the case, then there was an irony in it as he's basically co-opting their scene. On a pragmatic level, the Cyber Studio sounds like something that would actually be beneficial to the artsy bohemian types living in Alphabet City, but since the price is "selling out" and gentrification, they gang is against it.

Does that make sense or did I just make up a thing?

That does make sense but I think the problem is that if you are pushing out the people you want to come into your space because they can't pay rent then how do you expect them to afford to rent space in your fancy updated building?

Soon it'll just be the hipster white kids who actually grew up on the upper east side wanting the "real deal" of that part of the city and it'll be exactly what we have now in a lot of places.

• Like 6

I wondered this, too. Because Benny shuts off the power. Maybe he was covering power for the building and then charging it as part of rent to everyone else? Some places do have utilities included in the rent, but I've always had to take care of my own electric bill. Maybe it's more common in NYC?

I really don't know.

In the stage version (he, he), Mark makes a point of saying they get they have a single, industrial strength extension cord that provides their power. He never says where it's plugged into though. I imagine they were stealing power from one of Benny's (or his father-in-law's) properties.

Another one of those, "I'll turn a blind eye to this-for now."

• Like 4

Wait my last sentence reminds me of a glaring issue!

What the FUCK is up with Mark and the distaste for his parents???

They seemed like perfectly nice Jewish Jersey people who call their son on Christmas and want to have a good relationship with him and he's acting like they're the worst things in the world. What an asshole!

• Like 8

That does make sense but I think the problem is that if you are pushing out the people you want to come into your space because they can't pay rent then how do you expect them to afford to rent space in your fancy updated building?

Soon it'll just be the hipster white kids who actually grew up on the upper east side wanting the "real deal" of that part of the city and it'll be exactly what we have now in a lot of places.

That's the problem. It would be artificial instead of Art (oh, fuck that was good! I'm becoming one with the Musical, guys! ETA: or I'm just figuring out the etymology of the word "art.")

He does offer them rent for life if they comply, though. Maybe this lends authenticity to his Hipster Mecca?

• Like 6

They seemed like perfectly nice Jewish Jersey people who call their son on Christmas and want to have a good relationship with him and he's acting like they're the worst things in the world. What an asshole!

That's because he's actually...

giphy.gif

• Like 6

That's because he's actually...

giphy.gif

Except Greg has a thousand times more depth and gave up going to Emory to stay and take care of his father THAT IS SOME DAMN FAMILIAL LOVE RIGHT THERE

• Like 1

Except Greg has a thousand times more depth and gave up going to Emory to stay and take care of his father THAT IS SOME DAMN FAMILIAL LOVE RIGHT THERE

But there was the episode where he was a total dick to his mom and her new family just....because he's a dick.

• Like 3

But there was the episode where he was a total dick to his mom and her new family just....because he's a dick.

Oh that is true. I totally forgot about that. At least he had that realization moment (which we never see Mark have.)

• Like 3

I think it helps when you see him as Young Mark. Young Mark is just a couple years out of high school and trying to forge his own identity apart from his parents. Old Mark is a dickish man-child who should take a decent paying job for once in his life and start assuming some adult responsibilities.

• Like 7