318 replies to this topic

#21 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

I will say, some of the harmonies in this were pretty great-especially between Mark and Roger. The two songs I come back to the most are "Rent," and "What You Own" followed closely by "I'll Cover You."

I hate, I hate, hate "One Song Glory" and "I Should Tell You."
Walker: Hey, I know all the good words.

Timecop (1994)

Gaston: It was a bore!

Gigi (1958)

#22 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

One general note. It REALLY bothered me that Angel killed a dog to earn the money and that was celebrated later. Well, it turns out I'm a hypocrite. I've seen La Boheme several times and missed that Schaunard kills a parrot! (Angel's last name is Schunard.)
Lorelei: "Pardon please, is this the boat to Europe, France?"
Steward: "To where?"
Dorothy: "Not Europe, France, honey. France is in Europe."
Lorelei: "Well who said it wasn't?"
Dorothy: "Well, you wouldn't say 'Is this the way to North America, Mexico', would you?"
Lorelei: "If that's where I wanted to go I would."
Dorothy: "The dealer passes."
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

#23 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

I had trouble getting Roger. Like I get the initial "I like you, but I moved away from that lifestyle so stay away from me" but he seemed to flip flop so often I kinda stopped caring.

He had pretty hair though.

Also what kind of guitar did he have that he could buy a car after selling it?

I'll admit we were working on a jigsaw puzzle while watching this, so I may have missed some stuff. Please feel free to correct me if I error.

#24 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Roger is way better in the stage version too.

Yes! He's 100% less terrible.

It's worth pointing out that - with two exceptions - this is the original Broadway cast. The original Mimi couldn't be in the movie because she was pregnant, and the original Joanne felt she was too old.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#25 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

I will say, some of the harmonies in this were pretty great-especially between Mark and Roger. The two songs I come back to the most are "Rent," and "What You Own" followed closely by "I'll Cover You."

I hate, I hate, hate "One Song Glory" and "I Should Tell You."

I remember the first time I saw this in high school I thought that "Light My Candle" was the dumbest song in the fuckin' world. I have lightened up my stance on that but I still don't want to revisit it really. Actually everything Roger & Mimi sing I don't want to revisit ever. (Nothing to do with voices because I thought Rosario sounded beautiful but their songs are booooring.)

My faves are still forever and ever "La Vie Boheme" and "Take Me or Leave Me"
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#26 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

One general note. It REALLY bothered me that Angel killed a dog to earn the money and that was celebrated later.

Yea that bothered me too.
Two MM in a row with dog killing :( plz no more.

#27 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Yes! He's 100% less terrible.

It's worth pointing out that - with two exceptions - this is the original Broadway cast. The original Mimi couldn't be in the movie because she was pregnant, and the original Joanne felt she was too old.

Yeah, CakeBug has made some comments about how old they were in the movie, and it didn't really bother me. I was also impressed they used the original cast even though they were older.

Then I watched the stage version with age appropriate actors...

No, these fuckers need be young. I couldn't stand Old Mark. I get Young Mark. It feels much more tragic when you're thinking, "These are just young, scrappy (sometimes dumb) kids."

Timecop (1994)

Gigi (1958)

#28 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yea that bothered me too.
Two MM in a row with dog killing :(/>/> plz no more.

Well there goes my pick...your loss though. The rap opera The Dogs on Death Row is amazing! Rolling Stone said it was "Bow wow WOW!"

Timecop (1994)

Gigi (1958)

#29 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

No, these fuckers need be young. I couldn't stand Old Mark. I get Young Mark. It feels much more tragic when you're thinking, "These are just young, scrappy (sometimes dumb) kids."

Yeah, they all looked old, but I figured they were supposed to be around college age? Given how they lived and acted.

#30 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostJammerLea, on 27 March 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Yeah, they all looked old, but I figured they were supposed to be around college age? Given how they lived and acted.

Yeah, Tom is in college and Mimi says she's 19.
Pre-stage version me was able to suspend my disbelief. Post-stage version? Not so much.

Timecop (1994)

Gigi (1958)

#31 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yeah, Tom is in college and Mimi says she's 19.
Pre-stage version me was able to suspend my disbelief. Post-stage version? Not so much.

Man I always thought Tom was post college age rather than around 22 or so. Cause he mentions teaching at NYU and you would need at least a Master's degree for that. I always assumed he was working on a PhD or something in Boston and his theory was too risque for them so they kicked him out (which is crazy dumb).

I never once believed Mimi was actually 19 but I guess I could suspend my disbelief to say that the drugs made her a "hard 19" lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#32 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Also how the heck did Tom rewire the ATM to give out free money upon using the code A-N-G-E-L? I mean it's been a while since I've used an ATM, but I thought they only had number pads?

#33 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

I remember the first time I saw this in high school I thought that "Light My Candle" was the dumbest song in the fuckin' world.

I woke up with that song in my head this morning. It's grown on me (I blame it on the stage version). I still HATE "I Should Tell You," though.

I like "La Vie Boheme" (but it took the stage version to really win me over on it), but I absolutely loved "The Tango Maureen," "Take Me or Leave Me," and "I'll Cover You" the first time I heard them. "I'll Cover You" is my favorite by far, and when Tom starts signing the reprise at the end, I was all tears.

I also had a problem with the dog getting killed, but as someone who is usually furious with dogs being killed as plot points, it somehow didn't bother me as much. I think part of it was it happening off-screen, and part of it was that Angel is so fucking great in every other way that I forgot about it until Benny brought it up in the Life Cafe.

Yeah, CakeBug has made some comments about how old they were in the movie, and it didn't really bother me. I was also impressed they used the original cast even though they were older.

Totally agree. Like, you're able to say, "Oh yeah, I was young and stupid once, too." But also, the stage version isn't THAT age appropriate. I think they just looked younger. Mimi is still in her 30s, but she looks a lot younger.

#34 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

My faves are still forever and ever "La Vie Boheme" and "Take Me or Leave Me"

I wasn't too impressed with "Take Me or Leave Me," but I wasn't really invested in their relationship either. Same with (movie version) Roger and Mimi.

Timecop (1994)

Gigi (1958)

#35 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostJammerLea, on 27 March 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Also how the heck did Tom rewire the ATM to give out free money upon using the code A-N-G-E-L? I mean it's been a while since I've used an ATM, but I thought they only had number pads?

You could still do it. Angel would translate into 2-6-4-3-5.

#36 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostJammerLea, on 27 March 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Do ATM keypads have corresponding letters like (old-ass) phones? That was my assumption.

#37 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Man I always thought Tom was post college age rather than around 22 or so. Cause he mentions teaching at NYU and you would need at least a Master's degree for that. I always assumed he was working on a PhD or something in Boston and his theory was too risque for them so they kicked him out (which is crazy dumb).

I never once believed Mimi was actually 19 but I guess I could suspend my disbelief to say that the drugs made her a "hard 19" lol.

Oh, he's definitely post grad. But I would say none of them are over, say, 25?

Timecop (1994)

Gigi (1958)

#38 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

I also had a problem with the dog getting killed, but as someone who is usually furious with dogs being killed as plot points, it somehow didn't bother me as much. I think part of it was it happening off-screen, and part of it was that Angel is so fucking great in every other way that I forgot about it until Benny brought it up in the Life Cafe.

Same!!! Also if y'all hadn't mentioned it I think I would have honestly missed that entire plot because the way it is sung does not sound like she is killing a dog at all. Plus with the amount of times I've listened to La Vie Boheme I legit never put two and two together that is was the same fuckin' thing. I thought they were just still really sad about Eva Peron dying LOL.

#39 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

I haven't watched the stage version (yet--I may have to now).. but it watching the movie it did bother me that they looked older than they were supposed to be playing. Cause when Mark was complaining about "selling out" all I could think was "good, get a real job!"
Maybe I could have been a little more forgiving too if while watching I thought they were "dumb kids". But watching the movie I felt like most of them needed to grow up.

#40 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Okay I did think because of that injury he was just imagining Joanne having the same issues as him because he was a jealous ex.

This was the one time I thought Columbus used the medium well. When he hits his head, they go into the sequence where Maureen shows up, and there's all the other people dancing, and she keeps jumping from partner to partner. Then Joanne is like, "Are you okay?" and he snaps back to reality.

That sequence wasn't in the stage production, and I think it would have been hard to pull off as well as in the movie. I wish they had made more use of the medium change, as it might have helped it feel less...off.