#41 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

I haven't watched the stage version (yet--I may have to now).. but it watching the movie it did bother me that they looked older than they were supposed to be playing. Cause when Mark was complaining about "selling out" all I could think was "good, get a real job!"

I had the exact same reaction when I watched it the first time. When they were like, "We're not gonna pay last year's reeeeennnnnnt!"

I was like, "Okay. Then get the fuck out of Benny's property."

Also, the line "RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT" makes me laugh so hard. It's...silly.

And speaking of the building, when they break back in, Joanne tells them that once they are inside, they are squatters, so Benny can't kick them out or call the police.

Posted Image

They are still trespassing on private property, and he can still have them arrested or at least kicked out. (Again, handled much better in the stage version)
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#42 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

This was the one time I thought Columbus used the medium well. When he hits his head, they go into the sequence where Maureen shows up, and there's all the other people dancing, and she keeps jumping from partner to partner. Then Joanne is like, "Are you okay?" and he snaps back to reality.

That sequence wasn't in the stage production, and I think it would have been hard to pull off as well as in the movie. I wish they had made more use of the medium change, as it might have helped it feel less...off.

I think it's like it broke reality and showed us more than what the real world could show. So that was a really fun scene, and I also wish it was used more.

Compared to "I should tell you", which neither showed or told us anything lol

#43 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

I haven't watched the stage version (yet--I may have to now).. but it watching the movie it did bother me that they looked older than they were supposed to be playing. Cause when Mark was complaining about "selling out" all I could think was "good, get a real job!"
Maybe I could have been a little more forgiving too if while watching I thought they were "dumb kids". But watching the movie I felt like most of them needed to grow up.

I think this is where getting older as an artist helped me understand his thought process a little better. I imagine it's something like a writer being offered a job at BuzzFeed. They're #theworst but they give you a good paycheck soooo do you take it or do you stick to your principles? In this day and age it would have been much easier for him to make money doing what he was doing but that could also make him feel like he was selling out. I've heard a lot of bands in particular say that for a long time the thought of making money at all made them uncomfortable because it felt like selling out. That could be something that contributed to his awfulness.

Gdi I am Mark aren't I
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#44 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

This was the one time I thought Columbus used the medium well. When he hits his head, they go into the sequence where Maureen shows up, and there's all the other people dancing, and she keeps jumping from partner to partner. Then Joanne is like, "Are you okay?" and he snaps back to reality.

That sequence wasn't in the stage production, and I think it would have been hard to pull off as well as in the movie. I wish they had made more use of the medium change, as it might have helped it feel less...off.

To touch on a point you made last page, I also wondered if there was a "good" cinematic version of Rent that could be made. While I think Columbus did the best that he could, after watching the stage version, Rent feels like it was specifically made for the theater. The claustrophobia. The audience interaction. Even the way Mark would speak to the audience was more rapid fire, like there wasn't enough time and he had to get it all out before it was too late.

That change from stage to screen made their issues seem smaller and not as urgent.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#45 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Oh, a note about Tracie Thoms (Joanne). She's currently on the Netflix show Love. She plays the creator/producer of the show Gus works on, and it's a TOTALLY different role that she is wonderful in.

#46 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

To touch on a point you made last page, I also wondered if there was a "good" cinematic version of Rent that could be made. While I think Columbus did the best that he could, after watching the stage version, Rent feels like it was specifically made for the theater. The claustrophobia. The audience interaction. Even the way Mark would speak to the audience was more rapid fire, like there wasn't enough time and he had to get it all out before it was too late.

That change from stage to screen made their issues seem smaller and not as urgent.

I LOVED Marks' narration in the stage version. Not only did it help with some of the story elements that seemed weak in the movie, it fleshed out his character so much better.

#47 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Oh, a note about Tracie Thoms (Joanne). She's currently on the Netflix show Love. She plays the creator/producer of the show Gus works on, and it's a TOTALLY different role that she is wonderful in.

Another note about her - she was catfished and made it onto the MTV show and it's a crazy interesting episode and you get to hear her rehearsing for another project and she still sounds amazing.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#48 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

I had the exact same reaction when I watched it the first time. When they were like, "We're not gonna pay last year's reeeeennnnnnt!"

I was like, "Okay. Then get the fuck out of Benny's property."

And speaking of the building, when they break back in, Joanne tells them that once they are inside, they are squatters, so Benny can't kick them out or call the police.

Posted Image

They are still trespassing on private property, and he can still have them arrested or at least kicked out. (Again, handled much better in the stage version)

Haha yes exactly!!

But then I don't get why Benny was letting them stay there for free in the first place??

#49 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Me too! I just heard Team America's "AIDS, AIDS, AIDS, AIDS, AIDSAIDSAIDS, AIDS AIDS. AIDS!"

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Gdi I am Mark aren't I

Posted Image
Miami Connection (1988)

#50 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

But then I don't get why Benny was letting them stay there for free in the first place??

They WERE friends (They reconcile in the stage version). He owns the building and is letting them stay there. When Maureen decides to do her protest, he decides to kind of extort (not quit the right word) them for unpaid rent unless they deal with her.
Miami Connection (1988)

#51 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

I can see why I would be Maureen too though lol

But you and CakeBug are definitely Angel & Tom!

#52 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Haha yes exactly!!

On this note, I don't think I ever understood what a cyber studio was supposed to be. Or why Benny had to buy a whole neighborhood and kick people out to make it.

#53 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

They WERE friends (They reconcile in the stage version). He owns the building and is letting them stay there. When Maureen decides to do her protest, he decides to kind of extort (not quit the right word) them for unpaid rent unless they deal with her.

Yeah, but was he letting the whole building stay for free as well? Looked like the whole building of tenants were singing that "they weren't gonna PAAAAAY" either

#54 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

I want to reply to every comment in this thread with "But in the stage version...!"

But I'm refraining. Guys, I really loved the stage version. So if nothing else, I appreciate Cinco DeNino picking this and then Cameron for logging the stage version on Letterboxd so I realized it was available to watch a recording of that. Because that is definitely a new favorite.

#55 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 March 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

I want to reply to every comment in this thread with "But in the stage version...!"

But I'm refraining. Guys, I really loved the stage version. So if nothing else, I appreciate Cinco DeNino picking this and then Cameron for logging the stage version on Letterboxd so I realized it was available to watch a recording of that. Because that is definitely a new favorite.

Same. Movie Version was okay. Stage version was legit great. Not only did it make more sense, but it was just more of a spectacle.
Miami Connection (1988)

#56 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 March 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Same. Movie Version was okay. Stage version was legit great. Not only did it make more sense, but it was just more of a spectacle.

It also made more sense why, like, everything was done on those metal tables.

After the movie, I was like, "This should be called Tables: The Musical."

But it's for economy on the stage, and it's done REALLY well because the sets are so barebones and efficient.

#57 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Another note about her - she was catfished and made it onto the MTV show and it's a crazy interesting episode and you get to hear her rehearsing for another project and she still sounds amazing.

WTF! I need to watch this episode, but it's not available on mtv anymore, grrr.

View Postkateacola, on 27 March 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Yeah, but was he letting the whole building stay for free as well? Looked like the whole building of tenants were singing that "they weren't gonna PAAAAAY" either

In the stage version (lol, I can't help it either), it was supposed to be just Mark & Roger who were being evicted (and later Mimi too I guess).

View PostJammerLea, on 27 March 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

On this note, I don't think I ever understood what a cyber studio was supposed to be. Or why Benny had to buy a whole neighborhood and kick people out to make it.

He wanted the homeless ("tent city") gone from the vacant lot so he can build on it. He wanted the "cyber studio" on the bottom floor and condos on top. As per what this cyber studio was supposed to be like, I imagine it would have been something similar to Entertainment 720?

Posted Image

#58 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Or was Benny just crazy smart and was seeing the future of the internet laid before his eyes and was prepared to make that cash money??? Maybe it would have been like a cyber cafe without the cafe part???

#59 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 27 March 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

He wanted the homeless ("tent city") gone from the vacant lot so he can build on it. He wanted the "cyber studio" on the bottom floor and condos on top. As per what this cyber studio was supposed to be like, I imagine it would have been something similar to Entertainment 720?

Posted Image

That visual makes everything better lmao I hope Cyber Studio is exactly Entertainment 720.

He could also idk repurpose another building. Might as well work with the crappy apartments you already own before putting more on your plate.

#60 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 March 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Or was Benny just crazy smart and was seeing the future of the internet laid before his eyes and was prepared to make that cash money??? Maybe it would have been like a cyber cafe without the cafe part???

Maybe it was to prepare for 1993's virtual reality craze!