🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 8-Rent

One general note. It REALLY bothered me that Angel killed a dog to earn the money and that was celebrated later.

Yea that bothered me too.

Two MM in a row with dog killing :( plz no more.

• Like 4

Yes! He's 100% less terrible.

It's worth pointing out that - with two exceptions - this is the original Broadway cast. The original Mimi couldn't be in the movie because she was pregnant, and the original Joanne felt she was too old.

Yeah, CakeBug has made some comments about how old they were in the movie, and it didn't really bother me. I was also impressed they used the original cast even though they were older.

Then I watched the stage version with age appropriate actors...

No, these fuckers need be young. I couldn't stand Old Mark. I get Young Mark. It feels much more tragic when you're thinking, "These are just young, scrappy (sometimes dumb) kids."

• Like 6

Yea that bothered me too.

Two MM in a row with dog killing :(/>/> plz no more.

Well there goes my pick...your loss though. The rap opera The Dogs on Death Row is amazing! Rolling Stone said it was "Bow wow WOW!"

• Like 3

No, these fuckers need be young. I couldn't stand Old Mark. I get Young Mark. It feels much more tragic when you're thinking, "These are just young, scrappy (sometimes dumb) kids."

Yeah, they all looked old, but I figured they were supposed to be around college age? Given how they lived and acted.

• Like 5

Yeah, they all looked old, but I figured they were supposed to be around college age? Given how they lived and acted.

Yeah, Tom is in college and Mimi says she's 19.

Pre-stage version me was able to suspend my disbelief. Post-stage version? Not so much.

• Like 3

Yeah, Tom is in college and Mimi says she's 19.

Pre-stage version me was able to suspend my disbelief. Post-stage version? Not so much.

Man I always thought Tom was post college age rather than around 22 or so. Cause he mentions teaching at NYU and you would need at least a Master's degree for that. I always assumed he was working on a PhD or something in Boston and his theory was too risque for them so they kicked him out (which is crazy dumb).

I never once believed Mimi was actually 19 but I guess I could suspend my disbelief to say that the drugs made her a "hard 19" lol.

• Like 6

Also how the heck did Tom rewire the ATM to give out free money upon using the code A-N-G-E-L? I mean it's been a while since I've used an ATM, but I thought they only had number pads?

• Like 4

I remember the first time I saw this in high school I thought that "Light My Candle" was the dumbest song in the fuckin' world.

I woke up with that song in my head this morning. It's grown on me (I blame it on the stage version). I still HATE "I Should Tell You," though.

I like "La Vie Boheme" (but it took the stage version to really win me over on it), but I absolutely loved "The Tango Maureen," "Take Me or Leave Me," and "I'll Cover You" the first time I heard them. "I'll Cover You" is my favorite by far, and when Tom starts signing the reprise at the end, I was all tears.

I also had a problem with the dog getting killed, but as someone who is usually furious with dogs being killed as plot points, it somehow didn't bother me as much. I think part of it was it happening off-screen, and part of it was that Angel is so fucking great in every other way that I forgot about it until Benny brought it up in the Life Cafe.

Yeah, CakeBug has made some comments about how old they were in the movie, and it didn't really bother me. I was also impressed they used the original cast even though they were older.

Totally agree. Like, you're able to say, "Oh yeah, I was young and stupid once, too." But also, the stage version isn't THAT age appropriate. I think they just looked younger. Mimi is still in her 30s, but she looks a lot younger.

• Like 6

My faves are still forever and ever "La Vie Boheme" and "Take Me or Leave Me"

I wasn't too impressed with "Take Me or Leave Me," but I wasn't really invested in their relationship either. Same with (movie version) Roger and Mimi.

• Like 1

Also how the heck did Tom rewire the ATM to give out free money upon using the code A-N-G-E-L? I mean it's been a while since I've used an ATM, but I thought they only had number pads?

You could still do it. Angel would translate into 2-6-4-3-5.

• Like 5

Do ATM keypads have corresponding letters like (old-ass) phones? That was my assumption.

• Like 5

Man I always thought Tom was post college age rather than around 22 or so. Cause he mentions teaching at NYU and you would need at least a Master's degree for that. I always assumed he was working on a PhD or something in Boston and his theory was too risque for them so they kicked him out (which is crazy dumb).

I never once believed Mimi was actually 19 but I guess I could suspend my disbelief to say that the drugs made her a "hard 19" lol.

Oh, he's definitely post grad. But I would say none of them are over, say, 25?

• Like 3

I also had a problem with the dog getting killed, but as someone who is usually furious with dogs being killed as plot points, it somehow didn't bother me as much. I think part of it was it happening off-screen, and part of it was that Angel is so fucking great in every other way that I forgot about it until Benny brought it up in the Life Cafe.

Same!!! Also if y'all hadn't mentioned it I think I would have honestly missed that entire plot because the way it is sung does not sound like she is killing a dog at all. Plus with the amount of times I've listened to La Vie Boheme I legit never put two and two together that is was the same fuckin' thing. I thought they were just still really sad about Eva Peron dying LOL.

• Like 6

I haven't watched the stage version (yet--I may have to now).. but it watching the movie it did bother me that they looked older than they were supposed to be playing. Cause when Mark was complaining about "selling out" all I could think was "good, get a real job!"

Maybe I could have been a little more forgiving too if while watching I thought they were "dumb kids". But watching the movie I felt like most of them needed to grow up.

• Like 7

Okay I did think because of that injury he was just imagining Joanne having the same issues as him because he was a jealous ex.

This was the one time I thought Columbus used the medium well. When he hits his head, they go into the sequence where Maureen shows up, and there's all the other people dancing, and she keeps jumping from partner to partner. Then Joanne is like, "Are you okay?" and he snaps back to reality.

That sequence wasn't in the stage production, and I think it would have been hard to pull off as well as in the movie. I wish they had made more use of the medium change, as it might have helped it feel less...off.

• Like 6

I haven't watched the stage version (yet--I may have to now).. but it watching the movie it did bother me that they looked older than they were supposed to be playing. Cause when Mark was complaining about "selling out" all I could think was "good, get a real job!"

I had the exact same reaction when I watched it the first time. When they were like, "We're not gonna pay last year's reeeeennnnnnt!"

I was like, "Okay. Then get the fuck out of Benny's property."

Also, the line "RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT" makes me laugh so hard. It's...silly.

And speaking of the building, when they break back in, Joanne tells them that once they are inside, they are squatters, so Benny can't kick them out or call the police.

v8ccqht.jpg

They are still trespassing on private property, and he can still have them arrested or at least kicked out. (Again, handled much better in the stage version)

• Like 7

This was the one time I thought Columbus used the medium well. When he hits his head, they go into the sequence where Maureen shows up, and there's all the other people dancing, and she keeps jumping from partner to partner. Then Joanne is like, "Are you okay?" and he snaps back to reality.

That sequence wasn't in the stage production, and I think it would have been hard to pull off as well as in the movie. I wish they had made more use of the medium change, as it might have helped it feel less...off.

I think it's like it broke reality and showed us more than what the real world could show. So that was a really fun scene, and I also wish it was used more.

Compared to "I should tell you", which neither showed or told us anything lol

• Like 5

Maybe I could have been a little more forgiving too if while watching I thought they were "dumb kids". But watching the movie I felt like most of them needed to grow up.

I think this is where getting older as an artist helped me understand his thought process a little better. I imagine it's something like a writer being offered a job at BuzzFeed. They're #theworst but they give you a good paycheck soooo do you take it or do you stick to your principles? In this day and age it would have been much easier for him to make money doing what he was doing but that could also make him feel like he was selling out. I've heard a lot of bands in particular say that for a long time the thought of making money at all made them uncomfortable because it felt like selling out. That could be something that contributed to his awfulness.

Gdi I am Mark aren't I

• Like 7

To touch on a point you made last page, I also wondered if there was a "good" cinematic version of Rent that could be made. While I think Columbus did the best that he could, after watching the stage version, Rent feels like it was specifically made for the theater. The claustrophobia. The audience interaction. Even the way Mark would speak to the audience was more rapid fire, like there wasn't enough time and he had to get it all out before it was too late.

That change from stage to screen made their issues seem smaller and not as urgent.

• Like 7

Oh, a note about Tracie Thoms (Joanne). She's currently on the Netflix show Love. She plays the creator/producer of the show Gus works on, and it's a TOTALLY different role that she is wonderful in.

• Like 6

To touch on a point you made last page, I also wondered if there was a "good" cinematic version of Rent that could be made. While I think Columbus did the best that he could, after watching the stage version, Rent feels like it was specifically made for the theater. The claustrophobia. The audience interaction. Even the way Mark would speak to the audience was more rapid fire, like there wasn't enough time and he had to get it all out before it was too late.

That change from stage to screen made their issues seem smaller and not as urgent.

I LOVED Marks' narration in the stage version. Not only did it help with some of the story elements that seemed weak in the movie, it fleshed out his character so much better.

• Like 4

Oh, a note about Tracie Thoms (Joanne). She's currently on the Netflix show Love. She plays the creator/producer of the show Gus works on, and it's a TOTALLY different role that she is wonderful in.

Another note about her - she was catfished and made it onto the MTV show and it's a crazy interesting episode and you get to hear her rehearsing for another project and she still sounds amazing.

• Like 5

I had the exact same reaction when I watched it the first time. When they were like, "We're not gonna pay last year's reeeeennnnnnt!"

I was like, "Okay. Then get the fuck out of Benny's property."

And speaking of the building, when they break back in, Joanne tells them that once they are inside, they are squatters, so Benny can't kick them out or call the police.

v8ccqht.jpg

They are still trespassing on private property, and he can still have them arrested or at least kicked out. (Again, handled much better in the stage version)

Haha yes exactly!!

But then I don't get why Benny was letting them stay there for free in the first place??

• Like 4

Me too! I just heard Team America's "AIDS, AIDS, AIDS, AIDS, AIDSAIDSAIDS, AIDS AIDS. AIDS!"

Gdi I am Mark aren't I

stephen-colbert-told-you-so.gif

• Like 7

But then I don't get why Benny was letting them stay there for free in the first place??

They WERE friends (They reconcile in the stage version). He owns the building and is letting them stay there. When Maureen decides to do her protest, he decides to kind of extort (not quit the right word) them for unpaid rent unless they deal with her.

• Like 3