168 replies to this topic

#21 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 31 March 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Also did you guys realize that the Fugees sampled part of the end credit song by Enya for their version of "Ready or Not?"

To be fair, Boadicea was released in 1987 so there's still a decent possibility that Wyclef wasn't inspired by Sleepwalkers.

#22 Maximiliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

Is the girl from the "Fade" Music video a Sleepwalker??? Is this Kanye West's favourite movie???

#23 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

I love June's refusal to believe they are mother and son. I wonder if she is thinking, like how with vampires, they often have a maker who isn't their literal mother but is sometimes called mom. (Or in those annoying vampire books, sire and childe with an e, for extra e).

I feel like relying on cats to fight shapeshifting creatures is going to be tough. They are going to decide you haven't given them enough attention and let your lifeforce get sucked out, then pee on your clothes.

#24 Jamie Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostChunkStyle, on 31 March 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

I think part of what makes the world building in this movie so poor is that King seems to want the sleepwalkers to embody both the vampire myth and also just be their own weird species. There definitely seems to be a sire type relationship between the mom and the son like she created him the way vampires do. Because they seem to be locked into an emotional age that matches their human form. But I think we're also supposed to assume that sleepwalkers are "naturally occurring" and we're supposed to feel some sympathy for them up until Charlie takes his villain turn.

My biggest question is how have they made it this long (presumably hundreds or thousands of years) when they are this stupid? Charlie presents transcripts that are clever fakes to get into high school. Except he makes them from a town that doesn't exist? And when Charlie is having his joy ride run from Andy and Clovis he attempts to run down children getting off a school bus as a cherry on top. The sleepwalkers are all gone now because Darwin was right.

I also thought that 'mother' and 'son' were used in the vampiric sense, and that at some point in the past she turned a human man into a sleepwalker. If I remember Buffy and Angel correctly Darla sired Angelus, but they also had a romantic relationship and went to bone town on a number of occasions.

But then they were worried about being the last of their species. If they reproduced through 'siring' then they could just go out and make more sleepwalkers. My current position is that they are in fact mother and son, and they show familial affection in ways that seem very sexual from our narrow human perspective. Maybe we should judging these poor animals just for having a bit of innocent mom 'n' son cuddle time.

#25 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'm only halfway through, so I'm going to potentially be one of those annoying people that comments on something the gang corrects in the last half of the episode.

But Glenn Shadix' character in Beetlejuiceis Otho ("oh-tho" with an unvoiced "th") and not Otto. He's not a mechanic in the 50s
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#26 Mr.Crumit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

The profane little ditty Deputy Andy sings during the best-of segment is none other than The Rodeo Song by Gary Lee and Showdown.

#27 Jamie Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

One of my lingering questions is from the rapid fire transformation freakout scene in the car. The first thing he transforms into appears to be a very young boy. Does this mean the sleepwalkers can transform into kids?
Posted Image

#28 dickhoff3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

When the Paul, Jason, and June mentioned the theory that Ron Pearlman was potentially a secret Sleepwalker in this film, it got me thinking. When I first saw Charles Grady in his secondary cat-human form, I was immediately reminded of another Ron Pearlman role from the 1987 TV series, Beauty and the Beast. This led to my theory as to how Sleepwalkers reproduce or at least how more Sleepwalkers potentially come to be. What if rather then sexual reproduction, much like a werewolf or vampire, the bite of a Sleepwalker could potentially turn a human into a Sleepwalker? Towards the end of the movie, Ron Pearlman as Captain Soames, has his fingers bitten off by the Mother and he suffers a nasty arm breaking which I don't really think would necessarily be life threatening. So what if Captain Soames survived and was turned into a Sleepwalker. Confused and ashamed, struggling between his demon state and lingering humanity, he assumes the persona of Vincent and moves to New York City, taking refuge in the sewers and subway tunnels beneath the city. Not really knowing the ins and outs of his new Sleepwalker status, how to dim himself or other objects, or how to shift forms, he is perpetually stuck in cat form. When he strikes up a relationship with Linda Hamilton's character in an attempt to feed, he falls in love. This is plausible as it is briefly suggested with Charles and Tanya, Sleepwalkers may be susceptible to love with their human prey. I think this whole movie is just a prequel to 80's version of Beauty and the Beast. Photo evidence below:

Posted Image

#29 WindyCityMonster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

I have a theory as to why the mom just bummed around the house while the son (sorry June) was the one who did all the work hunting for virginal life energy, and why they didn't just grab a random kid and just forcibly suck their soul out. My hypothesis is that the sleepwalkers can't just grab random virgins and eat their souls, but they have to seduce their prey until the virgin is willing to surrender their virginity to them, at which time they can be fed upon by the seducing sleepwalker. The ritualistic nature of the whole thing would explain why the victims have a rose placed in their hair, why only the son feeds, and why the mom has to wait for him to return home with life energy, as it would be easier for him, as the younger-looking sleepwalker, to seduce and therefore feed off of virginal victims. Remember, it is only after the son makes out with the girl that he starts to become aggressive and monstrous. The reason why he was reluctant for Tanya to spend time with the mom was because he knew his mom would be jealous and creepy, possibly ruining the date and his ability to complete the seduction ritual and feed off of Tanya. The sexual nature of the process would also explain why the son was apparently able to give his mother life force energy while in the bedroom.

Otherwise, mama sleepwalker would have just eaten Tanya's soul while at Tanya's house, driven home, healed her son, and end of movie.

#30 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

I think sleepwalkers' kryptonite is Bartonella henselae, the bacteria specie that causes "cat-scratch disease." According to the CDC, about 40% of cats carry B. henselae at some time in their lives, although most cats with this infection show no signs of illness. Cat-scratch disease is usually self-limiting and causes benign symptoms in humans, but what if it's instantly fatal to sleepwalkers?

#31 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 March 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

I think sleepwalkers' kryptonite is Bartonella henselae, the bacteria specie that causes "cat-scratch disease." According to the CDC, about 40% of cats carry B. henselae at some time in their lives, although most cats with this infection show no signs of illness. Cat-scratch disease is usually self-limiting and causes benign symptoms in humans, but what if it's instantly fatal to sleepwalkers?

So they get "Cat Scratch Fever?"

Posted Image

That's a real shitty way to go.
Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

Warren T. Rat: Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

An American Tail (1986)

#32 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 March 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

So they get "Cat Scratch Fever?"

Posted Image

That's a real shitty way to go.

I hope this flashes before their eyes right before they die.

#33 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 March 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

I hope this flashes before their eyes right before they die.

You're a monster! No one deserves that. No one.
Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

Warren T. Rat: Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

An American Tail (1986)

#34 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

I think if I was a sleepwalker I would look to move into a high rise apartment instead of a country home where it is easy for hundreds of cats to congregate.

The introduction of Ron Perlman felt weird to me. He just showed up as a fully formed asshole like we were already supposed to know something about him. I wonder if he had an intro scene that got cut to make room for King's 90 second cameo.

#35 Loco_por_los_Cornballs

Pool Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostChunkStyle, on 31 March 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

My biggest question is how have they made it this long (presumably hundreds or thousands of years) when they are this stupid? Charlie presents transcripts that are clever fakes to get into high school. Except he makes them from a town that doesn't exist?

Well, they didn't have the internet back then.

#36 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 March 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

You're a monster! No one deserves that. No one.

Posted Image

#37 Maximiliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

Similar to what I did with Body Parts I have some Sleepwalker notes that I will post later in the afternoon or tomorrow, because I'm going to the movies to se Ghost In The Shell. Right now I'm at work and my time is limited and will go home for a quick bite to eat and then 2 hours of Scarlett :D (If it sucks I'll post in the movie recomendation section about it ;) )

But to get back to Sleepwalkers, I did not realise that Mark Hamill was the police oficer at the beginning of the film

Posted Image

I thought it was Kevin Rankin

Posted Image

#38 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

So after Charles attacks Tanya in the cemetery, she tells the officers his name and address-- and then tells them that she took pictures of him and to develop the film.
Why do they need a photo of Charles if they already have a description, his name, and address??

Also, about her taking pictures... shouldn't have Tanya seen Charles in his "true" Sleepwalker form when she was taking his picture?
I think she should have been able to see him as the cat-like vampire demon in the viewfinder since many cameras operate with a mirror-system.

"Outdoor light reflects off object, bouncing into the camera, through the lens and onto a mirror. The light then bounces off the mirror into a five-sided piece of glass called a “pentaprism" and into the eyepiece."

And we know from when Tanya was visiting their house that we saw "the mom" in Sleepwalker form in the mirror.
So she should have been able to get a look of him as the vamp-cat demon through her camera's eyepiece/viewfinder, when trying to snap a photo, and dip out earlier?

Posted Image

Idk, I know there are mirror-less cameras, and I do not know much about cameras to know what kind she was using. Can anyone confirm?

I figured the whole set-up about getting the pictures developed was that the pic would show him as the cat-demon. But I guess Sleepwalkers' faces are just blurry in photos?

And after looking up to confirm how cameras work, I figure she'd at least be able to have seen him in that "form" thru the viewfinder on her camera.

#39 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Correction:

Garth Ennis was the writer of Rover Red Charlie, not Robert Kirkman.
Posted Image

View PostⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ, on 31 March 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Similar to what I did with Body Parts I have some Sleepwalker notes that I will post later in the afternoon or tomorrow, because I'm going to the movies to se Ghost In The Shell. Right now I'm at work and my time is limited and will go home for a quick bite to eat and then 2 hours of Scarlett :D (If it sucks I'll post in the movie recomendation section about it ;) )

But to get back to Sleepwalkers, I did not realise that Mark Hamill was the police oficer at the beginning of the film

Posted Image

I thought it was Kevin Rankin

For a second I thought it was Michael Beihn.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#40 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

i'll just leave this here

Posted Image