🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 9 Pete's Dragon (1977)

I'm assuming, like any center of sailing and gathering of sailors, tall tails, sea shanties, and drunken haranguing are a part of every day existence. After all, it was the passed down stories of sailors that led to things like manatees being mistaken for fucking mermaids. Taking a story from Mickey Rooney with a grain of salt (or outright disbelief) is probably just the way of things. Old maps use to say "Here Be Dragons" on unknown regions, after all.

But, as usual, you are right. It is bizarre.

Seeing this:

giphy.gif

Equals this?

giphy.gif

God, that's hot...and Daryl Hannah's pretty cool too.

• Like 6

The 1980 vhs version was only the cut-down version released ? and any after that were still the over 2 hours film?

I still think the version I watched as a kid was this long ass version (probably a 90s version vhs copy, I'm a 90s kid) cause pretty much all the songs came back to me as I watched and I remember the Gogans in the beginning.

http://disney.wikia...._Dragon_(video) < this lists all the releases on vhs, dvd, bluray

No excuse for me, I still loved this long movie as a kid haha

• Like 6

The 1980 vhs version was only the cut-down version released ? and any after that were still the over 2 hours film?

I still think the version I watched as a kid was this long ass version (probably a 90s version vhs copy, I'm a 90s kid) cause pretty much all the songs came back to me as I watched and I remember the Gogans in the beginning.

http://disney.wikia...._Dragon_(video) < this lists all the releases on vhs, dvd, bluray

I think I probably watched this version too. I just think I only remembered the parts that were actually interesting to a child's brain and blocked everything else out.

• Like 4

I think I probably watched this version too. I just think I only remembered the parts that were actually interesting to a child's brain and blocked everything else out.

No I feel you, cause honestly going into this I thought there was going to be a lot more cartoon Elliott. The only memory I had of PD, before revisiting now for MM, was Pete feeding Elliott apples and them playing tic tac toe on his stomach.

But then once I rewatched, memories came back about everything else.

• Like 4

Did anyone else find it strange that only a couple of hours after her father suddenly claims to have seen a dragon, Nora meets a mysterious young boy who claims to actually have a dragon, and she has absolutely no reaction to this? Like, I'm not saying she should believe either of them, but think how random it would be if two people came up to you today, independently, and said they had just seen a dragon. That's pretty fucking random. You would think you would be at least be like, "Huh...that's really bizarre."

Are you saying Helen wasn't...ready...to discuss a dragon?

I'll show myself out.

• Like 6

No I feel you, cause honestly going into this I thought there was going to be a lot more cartoon Elliott. The only memory I had of PD, before revisiting now for MM, was Pete feeding Elliott apples and them playing tic tac toe on his stomach.

But then once I rewatched, memories came back about everything else.

I'm super impressed that Pete's Dragon even popped into your mind when considering musical options, honestly. I considered myself fairly familiar with this movie (which I totally was not, as we've discovered) and the musical element had completely vanished from my brain.

• Like 7

Having had my childhood crush on Helen Reddy rekindled this week, I went back to see the song that made her famous: watching this video, it's slightly head-scratching that two years later she'd be tabbed to play Nora, given the maternal role (not to mention the sea widow role) that she plays in Pete's Dragon.

Most of all, watch through to about 2.29 and check out the stunned, bored audience waiting for Helen to get finished. Wake up you idiots! She's amazing!

• Like 5

I'm super impressed that Pete's Dragon even popped into your mind when considering musical options, honestly. I considered myself fairly familiar with this movie (which I totally was not, as we've discovered) and the musical element had completely vanished from my brain.

I can't take credit for it just popping in my head.

I forgot, too, any musical aspects of it. I have a list of ones I knew off the top of my head-- ones I like/ love. But I was also considering picking one I had never seen. So I looked up lists for inspiration. Saw PD on the list, vaguely remembered "I love you too".

Figured it wasn't on anyone's radar for a pick and I was wanting to rewatch it anyway since I was curious about the new PD (which I'm glad I didn't see in the theater)..

• Like 7

I'm watching the 2h8min58sec BluRay version right now and just realised that 4 years ago the version that I saw (DVD I think 1h41min50sec) did not include the "Happiest Home In These Hills" song (The scene is the same and they get all muddy but the parts where they sing are removed) and the "I Saw a Dragon" song is edited and the scene ends after the close up of the horses teeth out the window and then cuts/fades away to the going back to the lighthose scene so the barrel rolls and the beer rain part of the scene does not happen

• Like 5

I want to thank everyone for watching or rewatching PD! It was nice to revisit this, but obviously it's more fun discussing with you guys.

And know I'm new to the boards (maybe not so new anymore?) but it's been cool to get to know everyone and you guys have been so nice :) So thanks for making me feel welcome!

200.gif#9

I lurked the boards for awhile, but MM is what pushed me to finally comment in here.

Looking forward to watching & discussing more musicals with y'all (& of course more hdtgm movies)

• Like 7

I want to thank everyone for watching or rewatching PD! It was nice to revisit this, but obviously it's more fun discussing with you guys.

And know I'm new to the boards (maybe not so new anymore?) but it's been cool to get to know everyone and you guys have been so nice :) So thanks for making me feel welcome!

200.gif#9

I lurked the boards for awhile, but MM is what pushed me to finally comment in here.

Looking forward to watching & discussing more musicals with y'all (& of course more hdtgm movies)

Hooray! Great pick, kate! So glad you piped up and have joined the regulars crew!

Stay with us! Forever!

WUNsX4x.gif

• Like 4

200.gif#9

Kate, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we love having you here!

I love all my HDTGM Internet friends!

1464013599-635794286490350332-493145492-group-hug.gif

• Like 5

Hooray! Great pick, kate! So glad you piped up and have joined the regulars crew!

Stay with us! Forever!

WUNsX4x.gif

I try do something sincere and you go creepy. Okay. Sure.

• Like 5

Wait. A. Minute. I've still got stuff* to say.

Did you notice the band on Shelley Winters' hat?

43pul4c.gif

Is that supposed to be a piece of rope or a braid from a previous orphan that she cut off? I had fun pretending it was the latter.

* I didn't say it was important stuff.

• Like 7

200.gif#9

OKAY FINE CAMERON I FIXED IT

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Tom's note about Shelley Winters reminded me we hadn't dwelled on the fact that she'd gone from this:

2120d7c338cf49d9598874bccfc92fd8.jpg

To this...

a9f737d9c137503bc5ae48a8e4ac7145.jpg

To this.

Petes-dragon-disneyscreencaps.com-10703.jpg

This isn't an aesthetic judgement: more to do with the precipitous descent from two-time Oscar winner to Mrs. Gogan.

The moral? Be nice to your agent, I guess. Or don't pick film roles when you're high on PCP.

• Like 6

Kate, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we love having you here!

I love all my HDTGM Internet friends!

1464013599-635794286490350332-493145492-group-hug.gif

200.gif#11

• Like 4

Wait. A. Minute. I've still got stuff* to say.

Did you notice the band on Shelley Winters' hat?

43pul4c.gif

Is that supposed to be a piece of rope or a braid from a previous orphan that she cut off? I had fun pretending it was the latter.

* I didn't say it was important stuff.

sorry, wasn't trying to end the discussion (but know we usually get thru it quick).

I wondered too if Pete was their first & only orphan. or if they had others before..that maybe they murdered and ate? Some of those lyrics in the first song were cannibalistic and made me wonder if they ate children.

I could see it being an orphan kid's braid

• Like 5

Does anyone else feel like Pete's Dragon is a weird Civil War metaphor? Like, why else are the human-owning Gogan's Southerners? Doesn't the movie take place in Maine?

My theory is that Nora represents the North. The Gogan's represent the Confederacy. Pete is a "runaway slave." Which means Elliot is Abraham Lincoln and Doc Terminus is John Wilkes Booth.

Reunification is represented by Paul's return.

Shit, it's basically a history book come to life...

• Like 6

I'm at work dividing my attention between customer support and Pete's Dragon 77 when I'm free ;)

Give me an hour or so and I'll finish it and then I'll surely post something here sometime tonight or early morning tomorrow because tonight I'll see "The F8 of the Furious"

• Like 5

Does anyone else feel like Pete's Dragon is a weird Civil War metaphor? Like, why else are the human-owning Gogan's Southerners? Doesn't the movie take place in Maine?

My theory is that Nora represents the North. The Gogan's represent the Confederacy. Pete is a "runaway slave." Which means Elliot is Abraham Lincoln and Doc Terminus is John Wilkes Booth.

Reunification is represented by Paul's return.

Shit, it's basically a history book come to life...

The deleted scene where Elliott, after leaving Pete, decides to take in a performance of 'Our American Cousin' was one of the more prudent cuts, I think.

• Like 4

The deleted scene where Elliott, after leaving Pete, decides to take in a performance of 'Our American Cousin' was one of the more prudent cuts, I think.

My college did a performance of "Our American Cousin" where they added in a gun shot at the moment where he would have been assassinated and made the audience observe a moment of silence before finishing the play. It was...an interesting choice.

• Like 6