Musical Mondays Week 9 Pete's Dragon (1977)

HDTGM Musicals Fun & Games

184 replies to this topic

#21 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

View Postkateacola, on 10 April 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

Those apples were soooo red / looked really good.

Roasted apple, yay or nay?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#22 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image

Apples in older movies always look a million times more appetizing!

Posted Image

#23 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 10 April 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

maybe with some cinnamon, etc..? so it's more like apple pie innards.
Just a hot apple without spices, I'm not really sure about..

#24 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

View Postkateacola, on 10 April 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

maybe with some cinnamon, etc..? so it's more like apple pie innards.
Just a hot apple without spices, I'm not really sure about..

When I was a kid I used to put apples in the microwave because it smelled like apple pie but eating the soggy hot apple always tasted gross.
Agent: "Mr Richards? I'm your court-appointed theatrical agent." - Brave New World, The Running Man

Warren T. Rat: "If music be the food of love, Play on, Macduff..." - Nearly, An American Tail

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Body Parts

#25 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Guys, Pete's a real asshole to Elliott for, like, 90% of the movie. He sings that "I love you too" song to him, and then he just bitches at him for most of the movie. Then at the end, he's like, "Help me!"

No. Fuck you, kid. You didn't want me around, so you can get yourself out of that sack.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#26 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 10 April 2017 - 05:03 AM, said:

I'm not sure it makes it to the Across the Tommyverse hall of fame for terrible movies, but it's a contender!

Posted Image

Lol. It's not close to Tommy level for me. Tommy truly upset me on many levels.

#27 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 10 April 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

Guys, Pete's a real asshole to Elliott for, like, 90% of the movie. He sings that "I love you too" song to him, and then he just bitches at him for most of the movie. Then at the end, he's like, "Help me!"

No. Fuck you, kid. You didn't want me around, so you can get yourself out of that sack.

Before I chose the "lollipop and raindrops" thing for the first post I was going to something about Pete's abusive treatment of Elliot. He really is a little cock.
Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

Warren T. Rat: Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

An American Tail (1986)

#28 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

The way Pete's upset at Elliot for his clumsiness makes me feel like Elliot's a Lenny character, unable to hold the bunnies but unable to understand why people get mad at him.

Posted Image
Agent: "Mr Richards? I'm your court-appointed theatrical agent." - Brave New World, The Running Man

Warren T. Rat: "If music be the food of love, Play on, Macduff..." - Nearly, An American Tail

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
Body Parts

#29 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

One thing I will definitely applaud is the restraint shown in not letting Elliot speak English. Can you imagine how much more grating this would have been if Elliot was singing too?

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
Body Parts

#30 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostCameron H., on 10 April 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Before I chose the "lollipop and raindrops" thing for the first post I was going to something about Pete's abusive treatment of Elliot. He really is a little cock.

Probably the cycle of abuse... he was abused so he maybe couldn't help being kind of mean to Elliot.
But to be fair Elliot did cause a lot of damage. Breaking people's fences, putting dragon footprints in the wet-cement, making dragon-shaped holes in the walls of the school.. so I dunno maybe did need a little berating.

#31 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

View Postkateacola, on 10 April 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Probably the cycle of abuse... he was abused so he maybe couldn't help being kind of mean to Elliot.
But to be fair Elliot did cause a lot of damage. Breaking people's fences, putting dragon footprints in the wet-cement, making dragon-shaped holes in the walls of the school.. so I dunno maybe did need a little berating.

Well, maybe don't take a fucking dragon into town. There's literally no reason for Elliot to be with him at that point. He should just be like, "Stay here, and I'll check it out" like he did when he made him stay in the cave.

#32 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 10 April 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Well, maybe don't take a fucking dragon into town. There's literally no reason for Elliot to be with him at that point. He should just be like, "Stay here, and I'll check it out" like he did when he made him stay in the cave.

Exactly!

Also, that teacher was fucking unreasonable. You know Pete isn't the one who started ringing that bell! He was sitting right in front of you when it started!

Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

Warren T. Rat: Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

An American Tail (1986)

#33 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

View PostCameron H., on 10 April 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Exactly!

Also, that teacher was fucking unreasonable. You know Pete isn't the one who started ringing that bell! He was sitting right in front of you when it started!

Yeah she was.. and the dragon shaped outline holes in the school walls. How could that have been Pete? She saw it wasn't.

Can Pete see Elliot when he's invisible? and read Elliot's thoughts? it seemed like when he was invisible Pete knew exactly where he was and talk/ respond to him but you didn't hear Elliot say anything.

#34 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

It's not just the teacher, it's the townsfolk in general. Pete gets the blame for wrecking the fence and making dragon prints in the cement as well as knocking down the mayor's staircase. Poor Pete.

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
Body Parts

#35 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

So, I still enjoyed this movie, even though I realize it has a lot of problems. And it's definitely a LOT better than the remake, which I didn't like at all.

There's a lot of stuff that would not fly in a kid's movie today. The Gogans straight up buy an orphan to use as slave labor (although, to be fair, in the remake, BDH steals Pete from hospital and no one says anything). Lampy and Hoagy are drunk for major chunks of the movie. When the Gogans return, the brothers fight over who's going to get to "hold" Nora in the rapiest way possible.

But, ultimately, Elliot is what makes the film work for me. He's fucking adorable, and I felt bad for him every time Pete was a dickhead to him. He's a goddamn dragon that's used to living in the woods; he doesn't know how to mix into society. Don't get mad at him because you put him in a situation designed for him to fail. I really like Elliot, but when he leaves Pete at the end, I was like, "Good. Fuck that kid. I hope the Gogans come back after Elliot is gone."

Also, the whole Paul storyline was REALLY weird. My best guess about it is that they felt the need to explain why Nora was an adult woman in her 30s who lived alone but wasn't some stereotypical spinster. "Look, she's not weird or anything! The love of her life just disappeared and she's holding out for him to come back!" Side note: when they first showed the picture of him in the lighthouse, I had forgotten that he comes back at the end, and for a second, I thought it was a random picture of Burt Reynolds.

I wish they would have dropped that storyline and chosen either the Gogans or Dr Terminus as the villains. Terminus didn't really need the Gogans' help because he already had the whole goddamn town helping to catch Elliot. So it seems weird to have them show up out of nowhere (not to mention what someone else already said about them not even bothering to look at the nearby fishing town for all that time).

#36 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Lampy and Hoagy are drunk for major chunks of the movie.

I want to point out, the scene when Lampy & Hoagy are in the cave and they give Elliot the flask to drink-- when I was a kid and watching, I thought it was juice they gave him. Haha

#37 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Posted Image

That dragon has, at best, 2 working teeth. He would not be able to chew these apples. Poor Elliott is pretending to gum those apples for Pete's sake.

Also, I didn't understand how Pete went to sleep in a fallen log in a muddy forrest and woke up in an apple orchard?

View PostCam Bert, on 10 April 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

No. Not whole like that with the peel and seeds. Slice them up and bake them in a pretty mosaic tart with salted caramel? Yes. I realize Elliott might not be up to date on baking blogs, however.

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 10 April 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

One thing I will definitely applaud is the restraint shown in not letting Elliot speak English. Can you imagine how much more grating this would have been if Elliot was singing too?

The dragon tuba-speak gibberish got old real fast for me.

#38 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 10 April 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

The dragon tuba-speak gibberish got old real fast for me.

I actually really like that choice.

#39 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

(Also, the Gogans might be the worst, but they have the catchiest songs)

#40 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

This was a pleasant-enough movie and the HD version looked great. Weird thing is, I watched this only 4 days ago, but I don't recall any of the songs.