🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
LiveHereNotFromHere

For Richer or Poorer (1997)

This movie isn't quite in the podcast's wheelhouse, but I think it's worthy of a look.

For Richer or Poorer is a 1997 comedy starring Tim Allen (who was still starring on Home Improvement) and Kirstie Alley. It's a fish out of water movie, where two high powered New York business people hide out from the IRS in Amish country.

The movie is a mess, both conceptually and in terms of execution.

• Like 1

The director of this film, Bryan Spicer, his previous effort before that was the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie!

When I was in college, I had an economics professor who did...unconventional things.

For a final in one of my classes, the week before he gave us a sheet of paper with six questions on it--these were the six questions that would be on the final. We would walk in on final day, he would roll a die, and we had to answer one of them--the die result. So we still had to be prepared to research/learn all six questions, but only had to answer one. (And, as he made a point, he only had to check one as well.)

Anyway, one of the questions was discussing the economics presented in the movie For Richer Or Poorer. And yes, that means I had to watch this shitshow of a movie for a final in one of my economics classes. And yes, that meant there was a sudden run on For Richer Or Poorer in all the local video stores, which still existed back then. And yes, it ended up being the question rolled.

I don't remember what grade I got, but it wasn't worth it. (Actually, the movie wasn't as bad as it was just unbearably. unfunny and boring.)

• Like 1

I remember not hating this, though I was 10 at the time and loved Allen from Home Improvement. There are some things that make me shake my head now due to my career, like how impossible it would be for a judge to remain on a trial with any kind of personal connection with a defendant, whether positive or negative. If we're going to break the Tim Allen bubble for the podcast there are many worse films to be discussed like Zoom, Joe Somebody, Christmas With the Kranks.

• Like 2

This was probably proposed as Witness but funny. Although I remember liking this as a kid. There are definitely worse Tim Allen movies.

I remember not hating this, though I was 10 at the time and loved Allen from Home Improvement. There are some things that make me shake my head now due to my career, like how impossible it would be for a judge to remain on a trial with any kind of personal connection with a defendant, whether positive or negative. If we're going to break the Tim Allen bubble for the podcast there are many worse films to be discussed like Zoom, Joe Somebody, Christmas With the Kranks.

I looked through Tim Allen's filmography. I'm not sure what to say. He's an absolute untapped mine of bad films. So many with RT scores under 20%, with several not even making double digits. Several that weren't even close to having their box office hauls beat the budget. Zoom was a huge bust. Crazy on the Outside made $88k at the box office and holds an 8% on RT. Others in the film: Sigourney Weaver, JK Simmons, Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammer.

The best thing about Zoom is that Kate Mara was playing a knock off version of Sue Storm in the movie, only to get to play the real Sue Storm in the equally poorly received Fantastic Four.

• Like 1

I was looking for a movie to watch last night and saw Zoom is now on demand. I almost watched it, but then I remembered I needed to finish Birdemic, which is currently on Amazon Prime. I might tackle Zoom this weekend.

I might tackle Zoom this weekend.

I hope you like Smash Mouth...

• Like 1

That just about made me throw up in my Mouth.

I just watched it the other day. My Letterboxd review:

"I've got five words for you: six songs by Smash Mouth. (Including a particularly atrocious cover of the David Bowie/Queen song "Under Pressure.") I'm not saying that's why it was one of the biggest box office bombs ever, but I'm certain it didn't help."

Four of those six are the first four songs you hear. Until Save Ferris showed up, I was convinced Smash Mouth had scored the entire movie.

• Like 2

I hope you like Smash Mouth...

No shit, they were performing at the CA State Fair a month ago and a friend and I were seriously considering going to see them if only to see how badly the crowd would troll them, and if they would walk off stage due to Shrek chants.

• Like 1

I had to summon The Google with an inquiry about "Smash Mouth Shrek chant" due to my confusion. I don't think I've seen Shrek, and had no idea about the connection. I saw the Smash Mouth Twitter rebuttal, and hell hath no fury like a Smash Mouth scorned.

Watching the Larry Sanders Show and couldnt help but laugh when they had Smash Mouth as a music guest on the show and all the dialogue throughout the episode talks about how new and hip a band they are.

• Like 3

I had to summon The Google with an inquiry about "Smash Mouth Shrek chant" due to my confusion. I don't think I've seen Shrek, and had no idea about the connection. I saw the Smash Mouth Twitter rebuttal, and hell hath no fury like a Smash Mouth scorned.

I love that the lead singer clapped back at someone on Twitter who joked that they were only famous because of Shrek, by saying that the song first got popular by being on the Mystery Men soundtrack, as if that's a logical gotcha retort.

• Like 3