🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 9 (JammerLea's Pick)

Guys. My wife just realised that she has the High School Music sheet music, so after pleas from my children, she is now playing it on the piano and singing High School Musical, which my children are dancing around to unironically.

Damn you Jammer!

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 10

I started watching last night.. I was never introduced to lil Efron.

I was amused by his baby face / voice and Bieber hair in this.

• Like 6

Only because I just saw it on Twitter and have nowhere else to share it, here is Howard the Duck and America artist Joe Quinones' interpretation of Nic Cage as Superman in the never-made Tim Burton's Superman Lives.

C96haelVoAEj7h8.jpg

• Like 4

It won't surprise anyone when I say i was heavy into theatre at high school - started youth theatre when I was 12 and carried it on all the way through high school, until in my final year I was Captain of Drama (private boys' schools make such things a thing). At high school and just after I performed in a stack of musicals - 'Guys and Dolls' (Nathan Detroit), 'Hello Dolly!' (Barnaby), Fiddler on the Roof (Perchik), The Mikado (Ko-Ko), The Matchgirls (Joe), Sweeney Todd (understudy to Sweeney), South Pacific (Lt. Cable), and Guys and Dolls (for a second time, this time as Benny Southstreet). I played saxophone in the school band all the way through high school too, in the concert and jazz bands. And I played Varsity rugby just to balance it all out!

Now all we need is a Sky and two women to be Sister Sarah and Adelaide and we can put on a show!

• Like 3

I am watching this right now and i'm just lile what the hell am i watching...i am going to have nightmares i just know it.

• Like 9

When it's my turn, I'm gonna wait until 11:59 PM on Monday to announce my movie.

Don't do that, Cameron H will jump to the next one on the list lol

• Like 7

Since we're doing High School Musical... were any of you guys in theater/band/orchestra/choir/any sort of "arts" classes in high school?

I have a feeling like a majority of you guys are creative people, so I was curious.. plus with us all liking musicals I wanted to know some of your guys' creative/music "roots"

Sorry for the double post. I love this movie. I was the demographic when it came out but I didn't buy in. I think I saw HSM2 first then went back to the OG.

No lie, I fell asleep to Breaking Free more nights than I count or would care to admit to.

Grade 7 to 12, I played flute in concert band and 9-12, alto in jazz band. When I was in Iqaluit, we had a community jazz band every Wednesday night. There was this guy who worked for the federal government who played bari sax and did laps at the pool...

Right, HSM. Great choice, can't wait.

• Like 9

My apologies for the late reply to the question above, but I did a lot of theater in high school and even middle school. I loved acting but could not sing for shit and was extraordinarily self-conscious about my voice so I took any non-musical opportunity to do theater that I could. I still regret not even trying out for a musical. I would have gotten SOME part considering how desperate most high school musical productions are for dudes to play parts in theater.

ANYWHO, since I sought out non-musical theater stuffs, that mostly took the form of Shakespeare, which I ended up doing two plays every school year during high school, plus a play during the summer in the form of an acting camp. I was deep in it. I even did some Shakespeare directing, which was challenging and really fun because I had to cherry pick scenes and edit it down to fit the very stringent time requirements for the specific program I was participating in at the time. It was fun collaborating with other students in order to engineer a presentable Shakespeare production while also, obviously, keeping things like iambic pentameter while presenting selections from, say. Twelfth Night... but knowing we only had the stage for like 45 minutes.

• Like 6

Twelfth Night in 45 minutes? Now THAT is a challenge. I mean I suppose it could be done, but I'm guessing you had to focus on just Viola/Olivia/Orisino triangle leaving most of the story of Sir Toby, Sir Andrew, and Maria torturing poor Malvolio on the floor?

• Like 6

Saw HSM yesterday and I'll probably revisit some scenes to add to my notes before monday :)

• Like 7

Twelfth Night in 45 minutes? Now THAT is a challenge. I mean I suppose it could be done, but I'm guessing you had to focus on just Viola/Olivia/Orisino triangle leaving most of the story of Sir Toby, Sir Andrew, and Maria torturing poor Malvolio on the floor?

We basically had to do triage on the plays we performed and pick out the most entertaining bits (at least for a high school audience). The director (in this case, me) would come out at the beginning, or maybe even in between scenes, and just give a short speech on what the play was about and who the characters were. In the case of Twelfth Night, it's basically "nonsensical twin bullshit and boners BUT POETIC" so it wasn't that hard.

Our faculty advisor my senior year tried to do Romeo and Juliet in 45 minutes just straight and it was a fucking mess. She turned it into a postmodern, interpretative-dance filled mess. I was furious, but as ineloquent as all furious 17-year-olds are so my arguments fell on deaf ears. We all had a shitty time on that one, especially the audience.

• Like 4

I work as a dramaturg, so most of my work is trimming Shakespeare to a manageable length, depending on what the company needs. I've done a 45 minute 'Othello' and a 45 minute 'Titus', as well as a 90 minute 'King Lear' and 100 minute 'Hamlet' - those last two were challenges... 45 minutes is a tough slot to fill: the shortest I've done a 'Romeo' is about 100 minutes - but then again, Shakespeare tells us right in the prologue of that one just how long he thinks the play should be...

• Like 4

I did The Complete Works of William Shakespere (Abridged) a couple of years ago (actually closer to 7 years ago now that I do the math!) and they do Romeo and Juliet in 30-45 minutes but that is a comedy and one of the roles (the one I played) sort of fills in as a narrator. They hit the major points but most of the characters are cut, which for that show makes sense since two actors are doing all the roles.

• Like 4

Also, Cakebug, I so want to talk dramaturgy with you LOL I've done SOME but not a whole lot. It's a fascinating field for me, as a playwright, to see who dramatrugy works.

• Like 4

Now all we need is a Sky and two women to be Sister Sarah and Adelaide and we can put on a show!

Guys and Dolls is the only musical I was in during high school. I stunk up the place so it wasn't repeated. (Who in the world holds cymbals but never plays them? This guy!) I've done some straight acting but that's not too notable. I was a choir kid who was good in the ensemble but not good enough for the higher-level Chamber Singers group. Now I just watch musicals. :rolleyes:

ETA: Meant to add I was a band kid in 5th-8th grade. Didn't want to do band in high school because I didn't like the director. Near the end of 8th grade some guys came up to me (including some bullies so I was on guard) and said "Come on Mark, let's go try out for choir." I'm so glad they did because choir was the highlight of high school.

• Like 8

I had the opportunity to audition for Guys and Dolls when I was in high school when the local community college was putting it on. I wish I would have, it's a great show. It is one of the "classical" musicals I really want to do (along with Music Man)

• Like 5

I work as a dramaturg, so most of my work is trimming Shakespeare to a manageable length, depending on what the company needs. I've done a 45 minute 'Othello' and a 45 minute 'Titus', as well as a 90 minute 'King Lear' and 100 minute 'Hamlet' - those last two were challenges... 45 minutes is a tough slot to fill: the shortest I've done a 'Romeo' is about 100 minutes - but then again, Shakespeare tells us right in the prologue of that one just how long he thinks the play should be...

Oh, fellow literary nerds :wub: Anytime you want to talk examining and cutting into drama (Dramaturgery!), I am down!

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Oh, fellow literary nerds :wub: Anytime you want to talk examining and cutting into drama (Dramaturgery!), I am down!

giphy.gif

God I love that Simpsons episode. RosenCarl and GuildenLenny poisoning each other with a high five. Genius.

• Like 7

Well, we (EternalSammich and I) watched the first half of HSM today, will have to watch the other half tomorrow. This is our first time watching it without the Rifftrax commentary to distract us. I'm really looking forward to discussing the movie come Monday!

• Like 6

Just watched HSM and had never seen it before. Very enjoyable! A lot better than I expected.

• Like 4

Well, we (EternalSammich and I) watched the first half of HSM today, will have to watch the other half tomorrow. This is our first time watching it without the Rifftrax commentary to distract us. I'm really looking forward to discussing the movie come Monday!

Happy belated birthday, btw. Hope you're having a wonderful birthday weekend.

• Like 6

As Jammer said, it was our first time watching the movie without jokes. I'm finding it both silly and enjoyable!

As for the previous question. I was also a Visual Arts major, so I never got to be in the performing arts but it seems cool.

• Like 6

Happy belated birthday, btw. Hope you're having a wonderful birthday weekend.

Fellow April birthday person!

89719395dc33a337eedbb264d3cdf44d.gif

Thank you so much! I've had a pretty good weekend, aside from still having to work. I can't complain lol

• Like 7