The Fate of the Furious (2017)

53 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

While it's a foregone conclusion that this will be covered on the show, I felt it would be better suited to be in this section of the forum until then so as to not have multiple conversations about it split up over other threads. I will say that I enjoyed the film, but in my opinion it was a so-so affair compared to the three previous films.

Spoiler

I was surprised that by my friend and my count, there were only 15 uses of family during the course of this movie. I was also kind of hoping that during the soccer game scene with the Rock that after the big dance/chant number that he led his team in that it would have been revealed that they sucked at soccer because they spent all of their time practicing that routine.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#2 Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

I want to talk about F8 too!!! But i dont have my notes at hand :(

In 2 hours I'll get home and I will reply to some things you said and share some of my views!

#3 ElieB

Bald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

First thought: Does ANYONE actually like a hacker-fight on screen when a scene volleys back and forth between two people pressing randoms keys to accomplish something completely unintelligible to thwart the other, back and forth? It's the fucking worsssssst!

Much more to say of course but that shit really got my goat
Heavy Sigh... - "the British woman"

#4 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

i enjoyed the last 30 mins but the rest .. it's really boring and dumb and too high concept and long and ... i think this might be worth doing just i think the gang could do a great episode about anything at this stage but it really left movies 5 thru 7 down. why was there so much CGI?? and way to much talking ... all that tech talk sucked the life out of it

and charlize was awful .. really really awful.

but tyrese, the rock, statham and even vin & michelle were on form. once they got out of cuba

but my sister, who has only seen the first one, really liked it. she laughed the whole way from the little girls doing the haka up to the selfie ... maybe i was just expecting another fast 5

#5 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostElieB, on 18 April 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

First thought: Does ANYONE actually like a hacker-fight on screen when a scene volleys back and forth between two people pressing randoms keys to accomplish something completely unintelligible to thwart the other, back and forth? It's the fucking worsssssst!

Much more to say of course but that shit really got my goat

Watching that whole thing play out I was thinking the whole time about why don't they just destroy the submarine once they've gotten the guidance chip? They apparently have a slew of weapons and gadgets, so are you telling me that they don't have C4 or grenades or I don't know an all-terrain tank with a high capacity turret on it that could do some proper damage to the hull?

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 18 April 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

i enjoyed the last 30 mins but the rest .. it's really boring and dumb and too high concept and long and ... i think this might be worth doing just i think the gang could do a great episode about anything at this stage but it really left movies 5 thru 7 down. why was there so much CGI?? and way to much talking ... all that tech talk sucked the life out of it

and charlize was awful .. really really awful.

but tyrese, the rock, statham and even vin & michelle were on form. once they got out of cuba

but my sister, who has only seen the first one, really liked it. she laughed the whole way from the little girls doing the haka up to the selfie ... maybe i was just expecting another fast 5

I myself loved the segment in New York with the zombied cars, which didn't look as bad as I thought it would with the CGI, although the thought that Dom's car can easily dispatch 5 cars of varying weight and size was laughable even for this series. I thought Theron was okay but do feel that she should have been more hands on in either the fighting or killing of certain people. The whole Cuba opening made me remember why I hated the first four movies in this series and the XXX series. The whole car party douchebag meet up just reeks of someone writing about something that they think the understand when all it does it make everyone involved in the scene look like total assholes.
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks

#6 ElieB

Bald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

So Ryan basically nailed it. on every point.

But all that being said, I'm totally fine with plot not making a lick of sense, and the ever increasing stakes, and the incestuous 'ladder' of new villains running the show behind the scenes.

What really bothered me is that they've moved away from the incredible practical effects and stunt works that make these movies so unbelievable. The CGI and green screen just can't live up to the hype no matter how high the stakes get. Even though the whole submarine bit in the trailers had me super hyped, it kind of let me down. But if they had used a real sub actually chasing real cars on real ice it would have been unreal.

The second thing is that the team just isn't the same anymore. The chemistry isn't there and the attitudes are just different all around. The same plot and the same dialogue with the fast 5 team would, I'm sure, have delivered. But who the fuck is Scott Eastwood? And Does anyone actually like having Ramsey/Missandei around? I was listening to the F!thismovie podcast for Fast8 and Adam Riske had the perfect analogy. He says that even though it disappointed it's not as if a bad installment ruins the franchise because the Fast movies are like having a favorite sports team. There are going to be great years with great rosters and there are going to be disappointing years, years when you favorite players and total all-stars got traded away or injured or retired. It's the same team, but also not. There's always hope the GM will make some great trades or draft picks in the future, or just rebuild. This roster was a dud. (Even though Hobbs and Chev Chelios were fucking great together and Statham's final scene stole the movie) It's like we traded away Brian, Han and Gisele for Scott Eastwood, Ramsey and a retired Kurt Russel who very aptly do nothing.

It did deliver a lot of classic Fast moments but certainly didn't have that rollercoaster pace of recent installments. Even the opening act in Cuba, which was fun in a classic Fast way, just dragged the movie down cause I've gotten so used to these movies opening with a bang and getting the plot rolling*ahem* almost immediately. These scenes came across as toretto fan fiction...

#7 ElieB

Bald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

It would for sure still make a great episode just listening to the gang dissect this INSANE plot and how it relates to previous films though. It's pretty fucking laughable.

Also what are the spoiler text box codes again? I had a weird story regarding run-time that I can't relate without giving away specific events.

#8 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostElieB, on 18 April 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Also what are the spoiler text box codes again? I had a weird story regarding run-time that I can't relate without giving away specific events.

use square brackets for these instead of the normal brackets

(spoiler)(/spoiler)

had to use the () cause it just created a spoiler .. hope it makes sense

#9 ElieB

Bald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Not the Momma!

Ok guys, legit spoilers so don't be dumb about clickin, alright?

So Fast 8 actually clocks in at about 2h10mins but on the website I use to check movie times it said 2h40mins!
Spoiler

#10 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about it was how much they just had Charlize basically standing in a room saying reaction lines to everything going on.

Otherwise, this is probably my 3rd favorite of the movies (my order: 5 > 7 > 8 > 6 > 4 > 1 > 2 >>>>>> 3).

All the set pieces are wonderful. I loved the opening race and
Spoiler

The zombie car thing was probably the weakest set piece, but even that was all right because it set up the Dom vs Familia fight, which I loved.

View PostElieB, on 18 April 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

And Does anyone actually like having Ramsey/Missandei around?

I don't dislike her, but I wish the series could find something for the women other than Letty to do. It bummed me out that they haven't used Elena since Fast Five and then
Spoiler
. If they actually wrote something for her to do, I'd like her a lot more.

Everything about this movie is the exact kind of over-the-top nonsense I love about this series.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#11 ElieB

Bald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 18 April 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

If they actually wrote something for her to do, I'd like her a lot more.

Everything about this movie is the exact kind of over-the-top nonsense I love about this series.

I can't argue with that... Which is why I'm hating the team but not what they were trying to do necessarily.

It does seem like this marks a 10 year low-point for women in the series though despite the big bad being a woman this time around.

#12 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostElieB, on 18 April 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Thanks Not the Momma!

Ok guys, legit spoilers so don't be dumb about clickin, alright?

So Fast 8 actually clocks in at about 2h10mins but on the website I use to check movie times it said 2h40mins!
Spoiler

Yeah at this point the team is LITERALLY the formation of what Owen Shaw did with his team in Fast 6 where the members were just pieces that could be removed and replaced at will, which DOM made a big speech about that being bullshit and family being what was best. Now that so many people have joined the team that were once rivals of the the team, the idea of family being best is effectively dead. I would honestly love a Hobbs/Shaw brothers film because the chemistry between those actors was by far the best part of the film. I get why CGI is being used because I have to assume that using practical effects would be a logistical nightmare along with what I assume the actors throwing their weight around more so that they aren't having to do these dangerous stunts as much. My other huge problem with this franchise is how much the trailers reveal about the final film, like the trailer for Fast 7 literally showing the final scene of the movie. For this film they show
Spoiler

#13 Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostElieB, on 18 April 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

But who the fuck is Scott Eastwood?

His acting suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuked in the first scene he was in, then it got a little better and reached bearable levels by the end of the movie...

Spoiler

#14 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ, on 18 April 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

His acting suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuked in the first scene he was in, then it got a little better and reached bearable levels by the end of the movie...

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

It seemed like Scott was doing a parody of his dad in the first scene, right down to the facial expressions, but once he loosened up he was pretty good. What I desperately hope for is that there is a deleted scene where a janitor comes into the car warehouse and sees the broken glass from when Eastwood used the crowbar to open the key locker and just screams "why didn't they use the fucking handle?!"

#16 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

here are my issues .. when i think about it tomorrow these probably wont matter to me but they distracted me as the movie progressed ..
Spoiler

i know i'm making it sound like i hated it and it was terrible. it's not. i'm just abit disappointed by it. it's alot better than some of the other stuff i've seen in the last year or 2. if the gang do cover this then it will be interesting to see how they saw it. and if my opinion will change over time. maybe they will wait till it's out on dvd again and i'll appreciate it more on a second viewing ...but for now i've gotta get to bed .. it's late

#17 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 18 April 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

here are my issues .. when i think about it tomorrow these probably wont matter to me but they distracted me as the movie progressed ..
Spoiler

i know i'm making it sound like i hated it and it was terrible. it's not. i'm just abit disappointed by it. it's alot better than some of the other stuff i've seen in the last year or 2. if the gang do cover this then it will be interesting to see how they saw it. and if my opinion will change over time. maybe they will wait till it's out on dvd again and i'll appreciate it more on a second viewing ...but for now i've gotta get to bed .. it's late

In regards to the Shaw/Hobbs fight, I have to assume that the end credit scene that Vin Diesel had cut was going to be about that situation, though I'm sure there would have been a comedic tilt to it, maybe the Rock's soccer team against Shaw's. Also having seen their fantastic chemistry, I desperately hope that the Rock is in Expendables 4.

#18 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 April 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

In regards to the Shaw/Hobbs fight, I have to assume that the end credit scene that Vin Diesel had cut was going to be about that situation, though I'm sure there would have been a comedic tilt to it, maybe the Rock's soccer team against Shaw's. Also having seen their fantastic chemistry, I desperately hope that the Rock is in Expendables 4.

I just wanted them to kiss...almost as badly as they clearly wanted to kiss each other.

#19 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 18 April 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

I just wanted them to kiss...almost as badly as they clearly wanted to kiss each other.

Who would take the dominant role in that kiss? Holy shit, that's what starts the rivalry again as neither will submit in their kiss leading to a massive fist fight.

#20 Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

I've said it in another post... For me the only thing that this movie did wrong was...

Spoiler