🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 34 — Who Is Peter Kafka?

Jeff has used his skills of deceit and trickery to get a truly wonderful guest for the week: Peter Kafka from All Things Digital. This guy has worked for Forbes Magazine and a major Wall Street banker and guess what? He's a podcast geek! Jeff and Peter hop all over the place from the potential uselessness of graduate school to the issues plaguing iTunes and Netfilx. Too many issues are covered for me to list, so listen in and learn something!

I love this episode. Peter was fascinating. I hope you enjoyed listening as much as I did recording!

definately enjoyed it Jeff! I liked that fact the Peter hijacked the show a little bit and let you open up about the current state of affairs. Also, I think this is the second time someone has brought up doing live shows but I have to say that I don't really agree that it would grow the audience more. I think the reason why you have the 200 thousand plus listeners currently is because of the ease of getting access to the content. The live shows would most likely be attended by current listeners and not necessarily new ones. Just my two cents.

Wow! This was great. One of my favorite episodes so far. To follow up regarding jughead's comment, is there any plans of filming these live shows in the future? Perhaps offer these shows for a fee, similar to what you did with Bumpershoot. Why should comedians have to rely on HBO/Comedy Central for air time when EarWolf could provide this added exposure at a minimal cost?

I think Steve's idea is right on point. I would pay a similar fee to what I paid for the Bumbershoot shows because I trust EarWolf in terms of what they put out. If they said, hey we have a video to buy of live events that we think is worth your while, I would probably shell out the cash.

I thought the Jam Band analogy was an interesting one. I can see Earwolf as a "niche provider" but I think it has much more potential than Jam Bands do in the long run since there is much more variety in the programming.
Great guest and conversation as always!

Great Eppy :)

ps. Jeff, ya need to worry a little less 'bout ratings, man.... this is a VERY specific type of podcast that will never have millions of listeners :) No offense... hehe

I really enjoyed this episode too. When Peter said he didn’t believe that audio was a compelling medium, it was great that Jeff battled back. I still think podcasts are only beginning to explore all the places the audio/podcast medium can go. Mike Detective is a really cool thing, and more serialized things with a story / arc could be really popular. Even the through-line created in The Earwolf Challenge provided a ton of interest to people on the forums, and created more real discussion than probably any other podcast. Serialized stuff was out of vogue on TV 10 years ago, and now TV is better than ever since it has come back. Even Comedy Bang Bang maintains its own canon as the characters return and continue to develop, and that adds so much to the listening experience. I wonder if in weeks where a character returns to the show, if back episodes with that same character get downloaded more in the following week?

Every time I listen to The Wolf Den I get more excited for the future of everything.

Sign in to follow this