#41 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

View Postkateacola, on 21 April 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Guys... I love Adam Scott too. I am not afraid to fight either.
Spoiler

Spoiler

#42 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

Maybe we can hope that Adam is into polygamy.
Agent: "Mr Richards? I'm your court-appointed theatrical agent." - Brave New World, The Running Man

Warren T. Rat: "If music be the food of love, Play on, Macduff..." - Nearly, An American Tail

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Body Parts

#43 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Maybe we can hope that Adam is into polygamy.

I don't think you're getting just how unwilling to share I am...

Posted Image
Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

Warren T. Rat: Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

An American Tail (1986)

#44 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

If...

Spoiler

#45 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 April 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

I don't think you're getting just how unwilling to share I am...

Posted Image

As my seven year old says to my five year old, CAMERON: 'Sharing is caring, SO GIMME'

Posted Image
Agent: "Mr Richards? I'm your court-appointed theatrical agent." - Brave New World, The Running Man

Warren T. Rat: "If music be the food of love, Play on, Macduff..." - Nearly, An American Tail

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
Body Parts

#46 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

I haven't seen the finale (those were some risky spoiler clicks), but I totally love that it's just a one-shot. Shows usually don't know when to give up, and I appreciate a brief, awesome story.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#47 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 21 April 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I haven't seen the finale (those were some risky spoiler clicks), but I totally love that it's just a one-shot. Shows usually don't know when to give up, and I appreciate a brief, awesome story.

I still need to watch the finale, but I had scanned the Wikipedia article on the book when my last Audible credit came up, I was debating if I wanted to get the book or not (I didn't, I still may)

#48 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#49 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

View Postkateacola, on 21 April 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 21 April 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I somehow knew y'all that haven't seen/finished would still check so I'm even keeping my spoiler talk spoiler free lol

#51 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 April 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 April 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

I somehow knew y'all that haven't seen/finished would still check so I'm even keeping my spoiler talk spoiler free lol

same, didn't want to get too into it cause I know you guys can't resist... or at least I know I can't.

#52 Maximiliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 April 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

We found the person who hasn't listened to the mini-ep yet :P

View Postkateacola, on 21 April 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

someone in the Explanation Hope asked how Paul felt about people talking/ heckling in the theater.

I agree with this & what Scheer said... sometimes it is OK if it's genuine and/or actually funny.

Thank you for the info... I'm trying to recall a pleasant heckling moment in the theater... I'll post it when I do, but the worst was a guy at the seat beside me ( who when I arrived was in my seat ) during Deadpool who, much like a parrot, repeated/yelled back every punchline that Deadpool said during the entie running time and then laughed obnoxiously all in my right ear. And to make matters worse, during the extra scene after the credits another dude happilly recognized the Ferris Buller refference but couldn't quite remember the name and the guy besideme rudely yelled: "Shut Up!" when he was talking loudly during the whole thing... :(

#53 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I'm just going to put this out there.

The log line for this podcast is 'Have you ever seen a movie that's so bad that it's amazing?' I can totally understand why 'The Fast and the Furious' franchise got into the rotation years ago, because earlier on it was teetering on the edge of 'bad but amazing' territory. But more recently, the franchise has started to take itself way more seriously, and is all about creating product that would be more properly described as 'great and amazing', with the budgets, casts, and effects bigger than perhaps any other franchise in history. There are a LOT of 'Fast and Furious' fans in this forum, and I think you're all great. I have NO problem with these movies as such, but it gets to the point where this doesn't really fit into the tone of the podcast, aside from the fact that the hosts are fans of the series.

Because, when we ask the simple question: 'Fate of the Furious': How did this get made?

We have a simple answer: it got made because the previous several movies in the series are smash hits that made a billion dollars each.

And while that's great, it's not really the point of this podcast, is it? I thought it was about watching lousy movies and making fun of their inconsistencies (see: 'The Lake House') and not so much about watching popular movies and discussing how great they were. There's plenty of other podcasts out there for that.

Anyway, that's what I think. This should in no way be read as an anti-'Fate of the Furious' post, but I know I have no interest in spending fifteen bucks to see it just to participate in forum. I just don't see how these movies fit in to the mission statement of the podcast anymore. Dissent: go!

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
Body Parts

#54 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 April 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I'm just going to put this out there.

The log line for this podcast is 'Have you ever seen a movie that's so bad that it's amazing?' I can totally understand why 'The Fast and the Furious' franchise got into the rotation years ago, because earlier on it was teetering on the edge of 'bad but amazing' territory. But more recently, the franchise has started to take itself way more seriously, and is all about creating product that would be more properly described as 'great and amazing', with the budgets, casts, and effects bigger than perhaps any other franchise in history. There are a LOT of 'Fast and Furious' fans in this forum, and I think you're all great. I have NO problem with these movies as such, but it gets to the point where this doesn't really fit into the tone of the podcast, aside from the fact that the hosts are fans of the series.

Because, when we ask the simple question: 'Fate of the Furious': How did this get made?

We have a simple answer: it got made because the previous several movies in the series are smash hits that made a billion dollars each.

And while that's great, it's not really the point of this podcast, is it? I thought it was about watching lousy movies and making fun of their inconsistencies (see: 'The Lake House') and not so much about watching popular movies and discussing how great they were. There's plenty of other podcasts out there for that.

Anyway, that's what I think. This should in no way be read as an anti-'Fate of the Furious' post, but I know I have no interest in spending fifteen bucks to see it just to participate in forum. I just don't see how these movies fit in to the mission statement of the podcast anymore. Dissent: go!

I think there are rare exceptions where the hosts revel in the trashiness of these movies. Face/Off and Con Air are great examples. The Sharknado series is another. And these are the others.

The "How did this get made?" question is rhetorical, but generally, the point of the podcast is to talk about trashy movies. I love the F&F movies, but my love for them is rooted in their trashiness. So I do think they fit, and I enjoy hearing the hosts really enjoy a movie every now and then.

I would disagree that they are trying to make "great and amazing" movies. I think they are really trying to make more and more over the top movies, and they are succeeding in that effort.

Everyone comes to the podcast for different reasons, and personally, I'd rather watch this than sit through Runaway or Sleepwalkers again. But this is more my kind of "bad" movie. And others might be more inclined to watch Gene Simmons and His Killer Robots. And I think the hosts know they have a wide variety of fans that enjoy the podcast for different reasons.

(And you shouldn't pay for it to participate in the discussion; you should pay for it because it's a fun as shit movie...or don't. I'm not the boss of you.)

ETA: No, but for real now, I'm going back to work :)

#55 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

I don't really have a problem with them as far as fitting the theme of the show, but I do feel like they've run their course. I feel the same way I do about Fate and the Furious as I do about them doing another Sharknado movie (i.e. a dead horse that's taken enough of a beating). There are so many awesome (bad) movies out there to be done, that rehashing the same thing for the fourth time just seems kind of boring.

My only big complaint is I wish they would at least wait to do new movies until they are available to rent/buy. I just can't make it to the theaters all that often, like maybe once or twice a year. So when I do get a chance to go, I want to go for something I'm really going to enjoy and not just "isn't it cool that they're driving on ice."

However, I recognize that their Fast & Furious episodes are fan favorites. I'll happily step aside, enjoy the episode, and let others have their macho car fun while I'm over at Musical Mondays talking about Zac Efron's amazing hair.
Laughlin: I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements...

The Running Man (1987)

An American Tail (1986)

#56 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostCameron H., on 21 April 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

My only big complaint is I wish they would at least wait to do new movies until they are available to rent/buy.

I meant to mention that, too, because I think Paul said during the xXx episode that they were wanting to do new movies more often because they had a lot of fans asking for it. I don't know how much pressure they got for it, but I do remember there being a post complaining that they weren't doing Furious 7 pretty much every time Paul announced a movie starting in April 2015 until they finally did it in September (confession: I probably made more than one of said posts).

So I think it's a lot of balancing for them. I know not every movie is for me, and I find that I still enjoy episodes like Body Parts even when I skip the movie because I know I won't enjoy it. I think there are generally about 3-4 per year where I'm just like, "I'll pass" (sometimes because the movie doesn't seem like something I'll like, and sometimes because I just get busy and never get around to watching it). And you're definitely right that Musical Monday helps that week go by a bit more easily!

ETA: Maybe I should just give up on the whole work thing.....

#57 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 April 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

My favourite 'talking in a cinema' moment was after Synecdoche, New York, which is totally self-indulgent and unnecessarily complicated but also pretty fun for the most part. But after the final moment, the soundtrack goes silent, and on the screen says 'Written and Directed by Charlie Kaufman', and in that moment of silence, a woman two rows in front of me - she must have been in her seventies - turned to her friend and said, very loudly,

Spoiler

Perfect.

I had the exact same thing happen after seeing Swiss Army Man.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#58 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 21 April 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

I would pick Paul too. Paul F Tompkins, that is.

Posted Image

I can't remember what movie it was where he was a guest, but I got a "Like" from PFT on a comment in the thread for that one, so that makes HIM my favorite guest!
Child of the Eighties. Man of the Nineties. Man-Child of the Twenty-First Century.

www.facebook.com/RobBrown78

#59 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostPlanBFromOuterSpace, on 21 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

I can't remember what movie it was where he was a guest, but I got a "Like" from PFT on a comment in the thread for that one, so that makes HIM my favorite guest!

He was on the "lost" Smurfs episode. And he's also been on for After Earth, Deep Blue Sea (one of my top 3 all-time favorite episodes, btw), and Lake Placid.

#60 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostPlanBFromOuterSpace, on 21 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

As the Forum Historian, I can tell you it was Deep Blue Sea. You had made a comment about the 8 foot fence. It's the top comment on maybe the 2nd or 3rd page.

Don't ask me how I remember that...

(Also, it's good to hear from you! :) )

ETA: I just double checked myself. It's on the 3rd page, SECOND comment! You had the top two comments on that page though, sooooo...still pretty impressive, no?

The Running Man (1987)

An American Tail (1986)