🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

I would say she was "well-known," but not popular. She doesn't really have any friends outside of her brother, and the basketball team (i.e. The epitome of cool) actively make fun of her. In any other movie, I'd say she definitely fits that popular/mean girl trope, but not so much in this.

What does everyone else think?

This is what happens when I don't feel well.... Instead of editing my post I just make a new one...

It seems like in this movie everyone makes fun of everyone! Sharpay makes fun of Gabriella, Taylor makes fun of Chad and the cheerleaders, the basketball guys make fun of Sharypay. Literally the only one not getting picked on it Troy because he's like the head dude.

• Like 7

Besides the basketball guys, who is supposed to be seen as the cool crowd? Is it literally just those group of guys and everyone else is below them?

I think so...

Known groups at East Side High

Skaters

Nerds

Smart Kids (that seem to be in a different caste than the nerds)

Cheerleaders

Basketballers

Drama kids (which consists of two members, although that may just be because they don't accept many members)

• Like 6

I think my favourite hat in the movie was this one from Ryan

jFs1iyW.jpg

I think it's a combination of the interesting colour scheme, the fact the hat is clearly too big for his head, and this is one of the few times we see him outside of the flat cap look.

I watched 2 and 3 last night, so they all run together, but that dude wears a LOT of shitty trilbies. It's not okay.

I would say she was "well-known," but not popular. She doesn't really have any friends outside of her brother, and the basketball team (i.e. The epitome of cool) actively make fun of her. In any other movie, I'd say she definitely fits that popular/mean girl trope, but not so much in this.

I think she might be queen of the drama kids, but the problem is just that they never really show the other drama kids. In the second one, she has a trio of girls that adore her and generally spend most of the movie trying to suck up to her. But I don't think that's because she's popular. I think it's because she's a rich kid that has a lot of influence at the school (or country club).

• Like 7

Wondering what 'Grease 3' with this script would have looked like? Wonder no more, mofos.

Because if you had hoped to know what the T-Birds would look like as a 90's boy-band, we NEARLY got the chance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=114797&page=1

That's right.

TROY: Justin Timberlake

GABRIELLA: Britney Spears.

T-BIRDS: THE REST OF N'SYNC

Damn you 2000 Screen Actors Guild strike! How much did you ruin for us!!

• Like 4

Wondering what 'Grease 3' with this script would have looked like? Wonder no more, mofos.

Because if you had hoped to know what the T-Birds would look like as a 90's boy-band, we NEARLY got the chance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=114797&page=1

That's right.

Oof! That's a tough one. As much as I would like to see that, I wouldn't want to live in a world that didn't have High School Musical in it.

• Like 2

No, I didn't get the sense that Sharpay was "popular." She's naturally bossy and an egomaniac and everyone else is too nice or lazy to set her straight, I think.

• Like 7

No, I didn't get the sense that Sharpay was "popular." She's naturally bossy and an egomaniac and everyone else is too nice or lazy to set her straight, I think.

Add "too intimidated" to that, and she's kind of Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls...

• Like 3

Add "too intimidated" to that, and she's kind of Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls...

But Regina George was considered the most popular girl in school. I don't think that in high school "popularity" necessarily equals "well-liked" or "has a lot of friends." I think Sharpay's intimidation and money forced people to put her on a pedestal.

• Like 3

But Regina George was considered the most popular girl in school. I don't think that in high school "popularity" necessarily equals "well-liked" or "has a lot of friends."

Yeah, I can't really see people teasing Regina George to her face, they all seemed to fear/admire/resent her. When Sharpay was freaking out about the call backs, the basketball team mocked her. I think SHE thinks she's the most popular girl in school, but no one else really cares.

• Like 4

Yeah, I can't really see people teasing Regina George to her face, they all seemed to fear/admire/resent her. When Sharpay was freaking out about the call backs, the basketball team mocked her. I think SHE thinks she's the most popular girl in school, but no one else really cares.

That's a good point. It literally took Tina Fey asking everyone in front of Regina to get them to be like "yeah she's a bitch."

• Like 4

http://abcnews.go.co...d=114797&page=1

That's right.

I would have loved this

• Like 3

But Regina George was considered the most popular girl in school. I don't think that in high school "popularity" necessarily equals "well-liked" or "has a lot of friends." I think Sharpay's intimidation and money forced people to put her on a pedestal. There were plenty of girls like that in my school who were assholes but because they had money and their parents were on the school board got what they wanted in life. (Except our "most popular girl" was genuinely the nicest person and was well-liked by everyone.)

I misread tomspanks' post and thought she was saying Sharpay WAS popular because everyone was too nice to set her straight. I don't think either Sharpay or Regina are "well-liked," but for various reasons, they are popular. However, I think Sharpay's popularity mostly doesn't extend beyond the drama club. There were kids in band that were "popular" among other band kids but wouldn't have been seen as "popular" within the realm of the rest of the school in the way that, say, a star football player or head cheerleader would be sort of stereotypically popular by nature of being a member of that group. And that's the kind of popular that I see Sharpay being: she's influential and popular in the drama club, but she's not either when it comes to the school at large.

• Like 6

I misread tomspanks' post and thought she was saying Sharpay WAS popular because everyone was too nice to set her straight. I don't think either Sharpay or Regina are "well-liked," but for various reasons, they are popular. However, I think Sharpay's popularity mostly doesn't extend beyond the drama club. There were kids in band that were "popular" among other band kids but wouldn't have been seen as "popular" within the realm of the rest of the school in the way that, say, a star football player or head cheerleader would be sort of stereotypically popular by nature of being a member of that group. And that's the kind of popular that I see Sharpay being: she's influential and popular in the drama club, but she's not either when it comes to the school at large.

I agree, but as far as this movie's concerned, there's not much of a drama club. When they do their tryouts, their "fans" consist of about six people.

• Like 4

I think because I was the same age as represented in this movie I'm using more of my own high school experience as examples for or against things shown in this movie. Because my school was one where if you were the top of whatever you were doing you were popular. So the girl that always got the lead in the school play/musical was extremely popular, the guy that was an amazing singer and made the top choir as a freshman was extremely popular, the girl who won an art contest was extremely popular, the cheerleaders were extremely popular, the captain of the football team was extremely popular. What seemed to matter was that you were good at it, which on one hand is really cool, but on the other really makes the mediocre kids feel even worse lol.

• Like 5

I think because I was the same age as represented in this movie I'm using more of my own high school experience as examples for or against things shown in this movie. Because my school was one where if you were the top of whatever you were doing you were popular. So the girl that always got the lead in the school play/musical was extremely popular, the guy that was an amazing singer and made the top choir as a freshman was extremely popular, the girl who won an art contest was extremely popular, the cheerleaders were extremely popular, the captain of the football team was extremely popular. What seemed to matter was that you were good at it, which on one hand is really cool, but on the other really makes the mediocre kids feel even worse lol.

That's fair, but I don't know if that's necessarily the norm. However, I did graduate quite a few years before you did, and it's not impossible that those kinds of artificial social structures have changed even within my high school.

But, again, most of the popularity in my school was relegated to being popular within your group. I don't know how large your school was by comparison (although if you went to public school in the North Dallas area, I'm assuming it would be roughly the same size as mine was), but I've always thought it was because we were a rather large school, so it was impossible to really know everyone, even within your own class.

The idea of school-wide popularity was definitely more of a thing when I lived in Granbury where our school was MUCH smaller. Most of the cliques were established in middle school and carried over into high school, and if you were a nerdy band kid, you didn't really move into the social circles of the "popular" kids; you mostly just associated with other nerdy band kids. Or math kids. Or choirs kids. Or drama kids.

• Like 4

I read on Wiki that Efron described this as "a Romeo and Juliet story" but it's not. Grease is a much closer analogy then R&J...

unless Troy fell down on the ski slope and this is all a fever dream/Jacob's Ladder scenerio...

• Like 7

I read on Wiki that Efron described this as "a Romeo and Juliet story" but it's not. Grease is a much closer analogy then R&J...

unless Troy fell down on the ski slope and this is all a fever dream/Jacob's Ladder scenerio...

This would have been so much better had it ended with them killing themselves on the Theater stage...

• Like 8

That's fair, but I don't know if that's necessarily the norm. However, I did graduate quite a few years before you did, and it's not impossible that those kinds of artificial social structures have changed even within my high school.

But, again, most of the popularity in my school was relegated to being popular within your group. I don't know how large your school was by comparison (although if you went to public school in the North Dallas area, I'm assuming it would be roughly the same size as mine was), but I've always thought it was because we were a rather large school, so it was impossible to really know everyone, even within your own class.

The idea of school-wide popularity was definitely more of a thing when I lived in Granbury where our school was MUCH smaller. Most of the cliques were established in middle school and carried over into high school, and if you were a nerdy band kid, you didn't really move into the social circles of the "popular" kids; you mostly just associated with other nerdy band kids. Or math kids. Or choirs kids. Or drama kids.

I graduated in a class of 800 so we were pretty large lol. I still think there were cliques and "groups" but it wasn't really defined by what your interests in school were. Then again maybe my memory is finally starting to fade lol. Cause clearly if you spend so much time doing things in school then those are gonna be the people you hang out with the most.

• Like 5

I graduated in a class of 100, in a town of around 5-6K. These kind of social circles DID exisit in my school, although it wasn't really what you were interested in that defined it, but rather who you're friends were. For example, my best friend graduated valedictorian and went to MIT ("nerd" material in the HS movie troupe). I was a drama and sci-fi geek. We ate lunch though with the captain of the f team and some of the athletes, but not the ones who were in our grade, rather the ones who were a grade above us. It didn't really seem to be determined on what you did, just sort of how things fell into place.

Now then, a school I had did some associating with a couple of years ago, a much smaller school it seemed that the social circles and cliques were more divided by what you did and didn't do. There was a bit of controversy when on "Senior night" (the final home basketball game) athletes, cheerleaders, were acknowledged (they also had one on the last football game) but seniors in the pep band weren't. I ended up writing a blog about it and it went a bit viral and divided a lot of people's feelings.

I think that troupe, prevelant in this movie, you see much more in smaller rural schools then in bigger schools.

• Like 2

I don't remember this sort of division of cliques and groups in schools being as prevalent in teen comedies in the 80s and 90s and didn't really start noticing it in movies until the late 90s and 00s (She's All That/Never Been Kissed, Mean Girls, etc). Maybe it's a case of the snake eating it's own tail. Kids saw it in the movies, so they started dividing up, which is reinforced by seeing it in the movies, which does it more as the kids who expirenced it go to Hollywood.

That's not to say movies in the 80s/early 90s DIDN'T have that troupe (Breakfast Club and Heathers in particular). Ferris Bueller for example, wouldn't have hung out with Cameron in the late 90s because they obviously come from different groups (Ferris is the cool kid, Cameron a loner/nerd). Pretty In Pink is presented as a pull between the popular kid and the nerdy kid but more for romantic reasons then social constructs.

• Like 2

I graduated in a class of 800 so we were pretty large lol. I still think there were cliques and "groups" but it wasn't really defined by what your interests in school were. Then again maybe my memory is finally starting to fade lol. Cause clearly if you spend so much time doing things in school then those are gonna be the people you hang out with the most.

My class size was similar and I agree. I think there were definitely cliques and different groups, but hard to say who were the "most popular".

I guess I can kind of point out who (I'd consider) the "popular" kids/group were in my class.

but even then you could break them up into different groups/cliques. So it was not really too prevalent in my everyday HS life if that makes sense?

Like you could ask different people in my class to point out who the "popular" people were and you wouldn't get the same list every time.

I agree that maybe it is more obvious in smaller schools or class sizes.

Our class was the 3rd graduating class of our high school, and I could probably better point out who the "popular" group was from the first graduating class was--since it was pretty small..but after that not really. Cause after the first small graduating class, the classes were pretty large and only were larger and larger every year after.

• Like 3

I'm dying to know who wins Cam Bert's mother chooses for the TNH award....In the mean time, does anyone want to take a stab at which High School Musical characters we all are?

• Like 7

I'm dying to know who wins Cam Bert's mother chooses for the TNH award....In the mean time, does anyone want to take a stab at which High School Musical characters we all are?

Sharpay rhymes with Tay Tay, right?

• Like 6

Sharpay rhymes with Tay Tay, right?

Tay Tay when she sees this...

Master-Your-Diva-Scream.gif

Also, I hope Taylor's feeling better :)

• Like 8