🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

From IMDB: "After the untimely death of a jousting knight in the middle of a match, the knight's peasant squire William Thatcher dons the dead knight's armor and with the help of his two friends complete the match and wins the jousting tournament. As the trio leave the tournament and head home, Will convinces the two friends that he can change his stars by entering other jousting tournaments and becoming a real knight. Geoffrey Chaucer an unknown writer who they meet along the road agrees to forge Will's papers of royal genealogy and becomes his Herald. This starts them on a journey filled with deception, peril, love and failure as Will meets a beautiful princess, faces a most daunting and evil jousting opponent and forces Will to comes to grips with his humble beginnings"

I heard that this was supposed to be as serious as "Moulin Rouge" - a modern rock opera about knights and jousting! The anachronisms are amazing, and laugh out loud funny, even when they aren't meant to be. Alan Tudyk's character is absolutely insane! And Chaucer's character is naked for much of the movie (classic HDTGM fodder).

This is one of my personal favorites but I am well aware that it is madness most of the time! I'd love to hear these 3 talk about it.

Trying to fix nets while blind always seemed like the hardest thing in the world to me. I really felt like Williams father should have considered other career options.

• Like 3

Yeah this one was odd in character priorities alone. You have the armorer who wants to put her family seal on everything, which ends up being the Nike swoosh, the villain who is in the middle of a war but only cares about getting updates on who has won the jousting tournaments, and the fact that this is somehow the premise for the Canterbury Tales. The rock soundtrack also doesn't help and the fact that this movie is just as well known for a fake person being created to give it positive reviews which led to a class action settlement for people who saw this, Hollow Man, The Animal, The Patriot, or Vertical Limit. As for the dad being a net mended, I think that having been doing that your whole life, it has to be second nature for the man despite being blind.

• Like 1

I'd never even considered that he was a career net mender before he was blinded. The way William talked about him as a giant always made me think he was a woodsman or a blackmith or something. I just assumed he took up net mending afterwards. But that does make significantly more sense than him randomly deciding that net mending was a solid way to go after losing his eyesight.

The first time I saw the movie I thought there was going to be a twist or flashback where it turned out that it was Adhemar who blinded Williams father.

In regards to "net making," William's father was a thatcher. Hence William's name, "William Thatcher." Back then surnames were based on your profession. For example, Farmer, Cooper, Smith, etc.

• Like 2

In regards to "net making," William's father was a thatcher. Hence William's name, "William Thatcher." Back then surnames were based on your profession. For example, Farmer, Cooper, Smith, etc.

Oh right! That's where you get your last name from, because of your crippling addiction to Heroin?

• Like 4

Oh right! That's where you get your last name from, because of your crippling addiction to Heroin?

For a second I was going to say, "What are you talking about? My name is..." Good one! You almost got me.

• Like 1

That trend continues to this day.

5_zps4d7lwzgk.jpg

• Like 4

That trend continues to this day.

5_zps4d7lwzgk.jpg

That poor bastard was pigeon holed since birth.

• Like 2

I disagree, any film where the delectable Rufus Sewell smoulders can't be bad

• Like 2

I disagree, any film where the delectable Rufus Sewell smoulders can't be bad

He's the most amazing thing in whatever thing he's in :)

He's the most amazing thing in whatever thing he's in :)

Idk, I think he got out-amazinged in Gods of Egypt by HTDGM superstar Gerard Butler.

• Like 1

Geoffrey Rush was also a pretty hard act to follow in that movie.

Rufus Sewell is fucking awesome though. I wish he'd gotten more roles because he really is a great character actor.