🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 - The Fate of the Furious

Also, all this talk about The Rock vs Vin Diesel hotness, and y'all missed the sexiest fucking dude in the movie...

NE5zwcGHPPZ297_1_b.jpg

Not even joking. Kristofer Hivju <3 <3 <3 <3

Okay again I thought we were just talking about The Rock vs Vin here!

• Like 1

And, unrelated, but I have to say I wasn't into the Kid Rock-style intro...

Start a new thread so we can all yell at each other about it.

giphy.gif

I'll be the Bella to your Edward

• Like 2

In fact, go all the way and bring in Yayan Ruhian who starred with Iko Uwais in Merantau Warrior and both Raid movies, as well as Star Wars: The Force Awakens as Tasu Leech.

Yayan Ruhian is the man. I love him in Takashi Miike's Yakuza Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSlDxKm2Eg

• Like 1

Yayan Ruhian is the man. I love him in Takashi Miike's Yakuza Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSlDxKm2Eg

Shit like this makes me wish there was even the slightest possiblity of an Asian Expendables, with Jaa, Uwais, Ruhian, Taslim, Jeeja Yanin (I love her), Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, and a few others. I know there'd be a language barrier, but dammit, all of them kicking ass would be a must watch for me.

Although, Iko Uwais and Tony Jaa are currently making a move called "Triple Threat", so it might not be entirely impossible.

• Like 1

- The Rock's baby mama is definitely dead. She's never seen, nor mentioned and the ladies ogling him at the soccer field has a "sexy widower in the neighborhood" kind of vibe.

- I like that they mention Brian one time "we all agreed not to include him into this", but in that world, Brian isn't dead, just retired. Could you imagine him hearing about the events of the movie:

"Guys guys, I know I said I didn't wanted to do any stupid stunts since I'm a father now, but Dom goes rogue and you didn't even said a word to me about this? Not a word to Mia? His own sister! We're the parents of his nephew and you all decided not to tell us a word of this? Not even when he stole a nuclear football and points a gun at Letty. We're going to have some ground rules on this."

- I love that they had the Luke Owens character on the same plane as Statham's, but he didn't even get a chance to kill Charlize Theron. Statham is all "I'm going to kill you for putting my brother's life in danger" while his brother is on that plane! He would be 100 times more justified to want to kill her himself.

• Like 2

Now that I've mentioned them, I have to show them.

• Like 1

P.S.: I disliked the fake NYC rooftop B.B.Q. skyline C.G.I. effect... That's the risk of having High Definition imagery, some things are so perfect and detailed that the eye knows that is fake (I know they can't shoot on location because people in the adjacent buildings can/could see them shooting the end scene)

It's such a small thing, but that final scene stood out to me because of the CGI. I also disliked the fake fire in the opening race. It's such a bummer because they could've done it with practical effects.

• Like 1

Here is my argument for 1,2, 4 being a trilogy.

I'm going to tag this as a spoiler because I know taylor hasn't seen it yet...

in TF&TF we are introduced to Brian as a cop being used to go undercover in Dom's organization who steal bootleg DVD plays and the like. In the end, Brian realizes the importance of family and helps Dom escape.

in 2F2F, Brian is on the run, a wanted man, who gets the chance to clear his name by going undercover in a Miami drug smuggling operation (I believe). This is where we meet Tyrese and Ludacris.

in F&F, Brian is back in law enforcement, working for the FBI now. He has recruited Letty to infiltrate a drug smuggling group. Letty dies, Dom comes back from Mexico (or Brazil) to avenge Letty's death at the same time Brian is torn up. Dom and Brian and Mia all sort of reconnect, Brian and Mia help Dom escape ala TF&TF.

• Like 1

The moment this movie was announced for the next episode of HDTGM, my wife and I were out the door and heading for the local multiplex. And while this movie was insanely enjoyable, I did had a couple of notes:

1. I get that this film is called The Fate of The Furious because it's the eighth film in the series and "fate" rhymes with 8... But, a more fitting title may have been The Forgiveness of The Furious, as forgiveness seems to be a running theme through-out the movie: Dom forgives the Cuban thug after he wins the race, Dom and the Rock each forgive Deckard Shaw (and be extension, the Shaw family), the crew forgives Dom for betraying them, Letty apparently forgives Dom for foisting a baby on her, etc, etc.

2. The remote control car scene in New York is amazing and fun, but wouldn't it have been much easier and less conspicuous for Cipher to simply seize control of the Russian diplomat's limousine? Even if the limo's systems were protected, Cipher, being the kick-ass hacker that she is, could have hacked its system and driven the limo to any destination she pleased.

3. All this mayhem taking place in New York City and the cops are pretty slow to respond to any of it.

4. The bit with Roman trying to read Russian out loud in the sub was the most hilarious moment in the film.

5. The scene with the Rock and his daughter's soccer team doing the war chant at the opposing team didn't strike me as empowering as much as it was kind of bullying. It had a real Cobra Dojo from The Karate Kid feel to it. Now had the other team been all boys, then that would have been empowering and funny.

6. Dom kills Cipher's clutch guy with a neck snap the way The Punisher did to the parkour leader in Punisher: War Zone.

7. "I will beat you like a Cherokee drum!" is one of my absolute favorite alpha dog lines from this or any movie.

8. Given that these films trash so many of them, how many muscle cars are left in the world?

9. My pick for the next bad guy's henchperson goes to Tatiana Maslany from the television series Orphan Black. Talk about being out-acted by an actor... She would be an amazing addition to this film series, with the potential to be assimilated into Dom's crew and take over the Brian spot by the 10th film (sorry, Chip Eastwood).

10. These Fast films are fun and ridiculous overall, and definitely meet the criteria for escapist entertainment. I honestly feel bad for people who feel the need to go out of their way to bad mouth this series (that's energy best used for DC's run of cinematic excrement. I mean did you see the trailer for the Justice League film?!? That movie looks like an ashtray!) This series is absurd, but also highly entertaining. To me, poo-poo-ing these films is like a hipster criticizing your choice of music at a record shop. Yeah, we get it: you're opinionated and constantly right about everything. Isn't that good enough for you? I love all kinds of movies, from film noir to mumblecore, foreign and domestic, past and present, you name it. These Fast and Furious movies are endlessly entertaining and fun. Big, dumb fun, but fun nonetheless. And I'm not ashamed to say I love them. So there.

• Like 7

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I had a good laugh at Paul saying it "sum a bitch"

(He clearly didn't grow up in the south)

• Like 3

5. The scene with the Rock and his daughter's soccer team doing the war chant at the opposing team didn't strike me as empowering as much as it was kind of bullying. It had a real Cobra Dojo from The Karate Kid feel to it. Now had the other team been all boys, then that would have been empowering and funny.

The only reason why I disagree with you about this is because of how it's a traditional Hawaiian chant. There are pro teams that incorporate these kinds of traditional chants into their rituals all over the place. They can definitely come off as intimidating but I've always found them rather beautiful. And of course because it's a 10 year old girl's soccer game against the Pink Butterflies just adds in the hilarity.

But I think considering how the Polynesian, Samoan, and Hawaiian people have been treated, and how The Rock is bringing his own culture into this film, it's hard to argue against it's inclusion.

9. My pick for the next bad guy's henchperson goes to Tatiana Maslany from the television series Orphan Black. Talk about being out-acted by an actor... She would be an amazing addition to this film series, with the potential to be assimilated into Dom's crew and take over the Brian spot by the 10th film (sorry, Chip Eastwood).

CO-SIGNED!

• Like 3

I'm all about Tatiana in everything. But I have to say I liked Scott Eastwood in this. The gang said they didn't like that the movie was trying to make another Brian, but I didn't think that was the case at all. They were going for someone completely different than Brian. For starters, everyone loves Brian, and Little Nobody is kind of a shitlord that everyone tolerates because they have to. I also think his inclusion gave them an out for Roman to punch down, so Roman didn't end up being the butt of every joke. And that's one of the things I really liked about it. That said, I wouldn't be upset if they brought in someone like Tatiana and let her actually do something (especially if it's more fights like Letty vs Ronda Rousey from Furious 7, which is one of the best fight sequences in the movie - save for Rousey's delivery of her single line).

10. These Fast films are fun and ridiculous overall, and definitely meet the criteria for escapist entertainment. I honestly feel bad for people who feel the need to go out of their way to bad mouth this series (that's energy best used for DC's run of cinematic excrement. I mean did you see the trailer for the Justice League film?!? That movie looks like an ashtray!) This series is absurd, but also highly entertaining. To me, poo-poo-ing these films is like a hipster criticizing your choice of music at a record shop. Yeah, we get it: you're opinionated and constantly right about everything. Isn't that good enough for you? I love all kinds of movies, from film noir to mumblecore, foreign and domestic, past and present, you name it. These Fast and Furious movies are endlessly entertaining and fun. Big, dumb fun, but fun nonetheless. And I'm not ashamed to say I love them. So there.

This x 1,000,000. Except I think Justice League looks like a step up for DC. The CG is fucking awful, but it doesn't look like it's going to be as much of a chore as, say, BvS or Suicide Squad.

• Like 1

The only reason why I disagree with you about this is because of how it's a traditional Hawaiian chant. There are pro teams that incorporate these kinds of traditional chants into their rituals all over the place. They can definitely come off as intimidating but I've always found them rather beautiful. And of course because it's a 10 year old girl's soccer game against the Pink Butterflies just adds in the hilarity.

Be honest. You just like that scene because The Rock says your nickname in it...

I can't make a gif of it yet, so this replacement will have to work for the time being

056c1a94-41ec-4add-8bae-83d4665795f4.gif

Please don't set me on fire at the live show next month...

• Like 4

Now I want a remake of the KK with The Rock as the leader of Cobra Kai dojo.

Be honest. You just like that scene because The Rock says your nickname in it...

I can't make a gif of it yet, so this replacement will have to work for the time being

056c1a94-41ec-4add-8bae-83d4665795f4.gif

Yes I looooove for my nickname to be used as a euphemism for a man's dick!

ab6dcd776dbf4b4d446a5810b36310b619817ac625f52a05cdb8fada1376964d.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I looooove for my nickname to be used as a euphemism for a man's dick!

ab6dcd776dbf4b4d446a5810b36310b619817ac625f52a05cdb8fada1376964d.jpg

Is that what's happening here? It was just the only gif I could find of him saying "Tay Tay"

• Like 1

Is that what's happening here? It was just the only gif I could find of him saying "Tay Tay"

No he does in the movie! I can't remember the FULL quote but he says, "...before I kick you in the Tay Tay"

I was sitting there like well that actually just ruined that for me

• Like 1

No he does in the movie! I can't remember the FULL quote but he says, "...before I kick you in the Tay Tay"

Ohhhhh....I completely forgot about that. I just remembered where he was talking about all the concerts he'd have to go to if he wasn't there for his daughter.

The way the Cuba scene ends is so strange​.

They build up a minor villain (the guy Dom races). Every other movie would have the hero win, the bad guy humiliated, end of scene. But F8 has the villain say, "you've earned my respect," Dom doesn't take his car, and everyone becomes friends.

They even address it later when Dom says he "changed him" by showing him mercy essentially. It's surprisingly deep for a crazy action movie.

• Like 1

But I think considering how the Polynesian, Samoan, and Hawaiian people have been treated, and how The Rock is bringing his own culture into this film, it's hard to argue against it's inclusion.

CO-SIGNED!

One of the great things to watch, when the All Blacks do the Haka before a Rugby match. In fact, seeing it at Jonah Lomu's memorial, holy shit, it's just a gut punch.

• Like 3

your gif was from when he was lip-syncing T-Swift in a lip syncing battle vs. Jimmy Fallon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn3tUOJ9yv4

that's all I have to contribute here, lol.. as I have not seen FF8

• Like 2

And here are the Rock's cousin's performing a Samoan Siva Tau, which was a part of their entrance until a few months ago when they became villains.

• Like 2

I thought that was more a euphemism for the man's taint.

• Like 1

I thought that was more a euphemism for the man's taint.

Tay-Taint?

otcg.gif

• Like 2

- I like that they mention Brian one time "we all agreed not to include him into this", but in that world, Brian isn't dead, just retired. Could you imagine him hearing about the events of the movie:

"Guys guys, I know I said I didn't wanted to do any stupid stunts since I'm a father now, but Dom goes rogue and you didn't even said a word to me about this? Not a word to Mia? His own sister! We're the parents of his nephew and you all decided not to tell us a word of this? Not even when he stole a nuclear football and points a gun at Letty. We're going to have some ground rules on this."

I'll write again what I wrote in the recommendation thread in that they really screwed up by not killing off the Brian character in Fast 7, because of the family unit that they've created over this series. By saying Brian has retired because he's a dad now but having Dom remain team leader and be a dad just comes off to me as "yeah I can be both because that's how badass I am, what's your excuse?" Him being alive wouldn't be an issue if Dom wasn't revealed to now have a kid, but now there is this issue of family within the family that just comes off as kinda insulting to Paul Walker.

Tay-Taint?

For me that's where the phonetic association went. Sort of how like a parent would come up with a non-swear word association for taint so their kid doesn't say the actual word or that they don't embarrass the kid even though it still does, like pee-pee for penis.

• Like 1