🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 - The Fate of the Furious

Yeah Fister I saw that earlier but I still don't think it holds water. She has plenty of opportunity to tell Dom and could have reached out at any point. It's not like oh it didn't seem like the right time to tell him at the Hospital, I guess I'll just never tell him. And considering she nearly just DIED falling out a four storey window, I think she'd want to tell the kid's only other family member he exists... You know, incase she actually dies and the kid just goes into brazilian foster care.

That and the time frame of Tokyo drift is a total mystery but I think it's safer to presume a minimal estimate of its time frame given that none of these movies occur over any particularly long period of time.

Omission:

I feel like not enough attention was paid to the crazy fact that they're suddenly in New York at the end of Fate of the Furious. Even when The Team (caps necessary) has gone to other countries and cities, LA has always been their home. The city is so key that it was their "secret weapon" in Furious 7, when they used the streets they knew to somehow outrun a helicopter equipped with targeted missles. But also who owns this New York townhouse? Hobbs clearly has a steady home life in LA with his daughter and coaching soccer, Dom & Letty have been in Cuba (buying cars?), maybe it's Roman's pad? But he seems like the type to brag. It makes zero sense. Yes, the house blew up. But they obviously all have a lot of cash and now they've befriended the British terrorist who blew up their home. And it's likely Brian and Mia are still there, so why abandon them, part of the Family, for NYC? After 7 movies of making a huge deal out of it, why leave?

The other question is whether they're done with LA for good. And there's some evidence to suggest they have: Corona. It's been a staple of the franchise since Dom told Brian he could have any beer he wanted in the original film - as long as it was Corona. But it's absent from F8, in which they drink Bud Light (?!) on the roof at the end. In 6, Corona is nearly absent as well. The Team drinks some other types of beer throughout the film, while they're prohibited from returning to the US. But as soon as they complete their mission and are granted pardons to return home, it's Coronas all around. In F8 there's no reason that they can't go back to LA, so is the absence of Corona a signal they're done with their home?

Also, side note: In Furious 7 when Letty visits her own grave (still hilarious/amazing), Dom tells her he won't give up on her because "you never turn your back on family." I was really hoping she'd say that to Dom when he was working with Charlize in this film. Missed opportunity.

• Like 2

It's really funny how obvious it is that Vin is trying to be as big as The Rock. In Fast Five, they're so ridiculously mismatched. But by 7, Vin just looks like a poorly cased sausage.

Apparently, Vin Diesel claims that he's 6'1", be he's been known to wear thick heeled shoes and shoelifts to make himself taller, so he'd be closer to 5'10", this could be the reason for the beef. Vin has little man syndrome because he was the big tough bald guy until The Rock turned up, because the The Rock's Samoan, they're people who are generally known for being big motherfuckers.

To show you just how big they are, The Rock belongs to the Anoa'i family, one of the most important families in wrestling history, although, Rock is only a part of the family because his Grandfather (The High Chief Peter Maivia) swore a blood oath with Amituana Anoa'i after training his son Afa who would in turn train his brother Sika and become the legendary tag team "The Wild Samoans", and then later trained Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler". Peter Maivia was seen as an uncle to Afa and Sika, which is why they held the ceremony, and they became a family.

Well, at 6'4" and 270lbs, The Rock is one of the smaller members of the family. Granted, he's ripped as a motherfucker, whereas the others seem more "portly" to put it politely, but he's related to guys like Yokozuna who, at one point of his career, weighed close to 700lbs. But being around 250lbs is normal for the Anoa'i family.

Even his cousin, current WWE women's wrestler 'Nia Jax' is around 6' tall and 275lbs

Asuka-Nia-Jax.jpg

They're a big family.

• Like 2

The other question is whether they're done with LA for good. And there's some evidence to suggest they have: Corona. It's been a staple of the franchise since Dom told Brian he could have any beer he wanted in the original film - as long as it was Corona. But it's absent from F8, in which they drink Bud Light (?!) on the roof at the end. In 6, Corona is nearly absent as well. The Team drinks some other types of beer throughout the film, while they're prohibited from returning to the US. But as soon as they complete their mission and are granted pardons to return home, it's Coronas all around. In F8 there's no reason that they can't go back to LA, so is the absence of Corona a signal they're done with their home?

This might actually be the best theory about the absence of Corona that I've read (better than the one about how it represented Brian or whatever that didn't really add up for me). Side note, though: they're drinking Budweiser and Stella Artois and not Bud Light.

• Like 3

Maybe, the change from Corona to other beers might be a subtle message about letting others into their "family".

Considering The Rock and Jason Statham joined their family, despite their previous adversarial dynamic. Maybe it represents a more open-minded and inclusive attitude, as opposed to shutting everybody out. They welcome new people, let's welcome some different booze.

• Like 2

Except didn't they all get pardons at the end of 6? Hence being back in America all this time? Why are any of them still on that list... Especially since they were working for the feds/spooks in 7.

They were put on purely for the operation in Berlin which is why it makes zero sense that Brian would've been on there like Ryan said. The feds couldn't let it be known that it was an American government funded attack on German land or else a WWIII situation could have been started. So they needed the team to just make it seem like they were stealing this on their own, be put on Interpol's Most Wanted list, then finish this job before getting their records cleaned again.

• Like 2

The Rock belongs to the Anoa'i family, one of the most important families in wrestling history, although, Rock is only a part of the family because his Grandfather (The High Chief Peter Maivia) swore a blood oath with Amituana Anoa'i after training his son Afa who would in turn train his brother Sika and become the legendary tag team "The Wild Samoans", and then later trained Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler". Peter Maivia was seen as an uncle to Afa and Sika, which is why they held the ceremony, and they became a family.

This is a better story about family than F&F.

• Like 3

Hey, everyone! Okay, today's poem was a lot of fun. It's for Ludacris' character Tej and I wrote it in the Dadaist style. Basically, I took a bunch of single words from Tej's dialog and wrote them down on a piece of paper. Then, I meticulously cut out each word and placed them in a Ziplock bag. I shook up the bag and pulled out each individual word. Whatever order they came out, is how they are written in the poem. Enjoy!

"Lu-Dada"

Shaggy of race money,

Hack Tech Plan B,

Sexy sure,

Drone watch orange,

Deal.

Smack Rick James spaceship,

Big-ass, tell tank Hell,

Change bottom top breakfast,

Sky.

Front build functional finale,

Good swaggerless commitment balls,

Straws me,

Shit band bridge back,

Emotion.

Keys shop rain,

Barrel, gimme the first candy-ass jacket,

Raise, fellas.

Tags slap Millionaire,

Gonna be a'ight,

Laid the status,

Alphabet grab me end,

Owe beautiful out,

Awkward Scooby-Doo.

• Like 3

This is a better story about family than F&F.

There's a long running joke that all of the Samoans in wrestling are related. in WWE, when you also include those who are related through marriage, there's been about 24 members who have wrestled for them in some form or another.

There's a long running joke that all of the Samoans in wrestling are related. in WWE, when you also include those who are related through marriage, there's been about 24 members who have wrestled for them in some form or another.

Looking at the Wiki page for the family reveals a huge family tree of marriage, distant relatives, and next door neighbors.

Looking at the Wiki page for the family reveals a huge family tree of marriage, distant relatives, and next door neighbors.

From the looks of it, Samoa Joe is pretty much the only Samoan to not be related to them.

• Like 1

From the looks of it, Samoa Joe is pretty much the only Samoan to not be related to them.

Yet.

I was wondering who at Chrysler was fired for the product placement shots during the car swarm hack? With the exeception of an the older Prius I believe all the cars featured being hacked were Chrysler products (Chrysler Dodge Jeep). There were a a ton of "label" out shots of dodges and Chrysler's including a showroom. I think the older Prius was tossed in to make Chrysler less mad about how their cars were used

tenor.gif

Well I kinda am now that I had emergency surgery to get the infected abscess drained and cleaned out, easily the next most painful moment of my life second to slipping four discs in my lower spine, now all that's left is bed rest. Though at this point of my Parks and Rec binge, I wish there was more than one episode featuring Tynnyfer.

tumblr_nyjhs6USEj1trbsxwo2_250.gif

• Like 6

Doesn't it seem like Paul should have read second opinions of those who hated the movie since the gang clearly loved it?

• Like 4

Doesn't it seem like Paul should have read second opinions of those who hated the movie since the gang clearly loved it?

I had the same thought. Didn't he only read one and give up on 2nd Opinions altogether? I think it would have been funny to hear their reactions to people who didn't like it. Oh, well...

• Like 4

I agree. They've done that before, right?

• Like 2

I agree. They've done that before, right?

I don't know if they've ever picked them out specifically to be contrary, but they've definitely done Third Opinions (One star Reviews) before.

• Like 2

I was wondering who at Chrysler was fired for the product placement shots during the car swarm hack? With the exeception of an the older Prius I believe all the cars featured being hacked were Chrysler products (Chrysler Dodge Jeep). There were a a ton of "label" out shots of dodges and Chrysler's including a showroom. I think the older Prius was tossed in to make Chrysler less mad about how their cars were used

I have a feeling that they all were very aware of how their cars were being used so I don't think anyone was mad or fired.

one thing after another this weekend so i didn't get to listen to the ep or read your posts till today. you guys have pretty much covered everything but there is one little correction to make. they said dom and letty got married in 7 but they were married long before that.

we see them get married in 7 but only through the flashbacks letty gets after her amnesia starts to lift. the theory is that they actually got married between los bandoleros and fast and furious (fast 4). if you haven't seen los bandoleros, it was a short film, directed by vin, used to explain were dom went after the first movie. (it also introduced some new characters we see in later movies, including hann). in it we see letty and dom rekindle their romance and it is thought it is here, in the Dominican republic, that they got married using the necklace as the wedding rings ... which is why dom goes nuts whenever it goes missing or someone steals it and why he reacted so much when lucas black gave it back to him after hann died and they found it in the wreckage of the car (fast 7). maybe hann was the best man or something at the wedding and he held on to it .. i don't know.

so they get married just after los bandoleros. letty dies in 4. we see her in the post credit scene in 5. she's back in 6 with amnesia but she remembers everything by the end of 7 and then has to go through everything that happened in 8. it can't be much more than 2 years between the time they get married and when she discovers she is now a step mother to baby brian because somewhere between 5 and 6 dom shacks up with elena and they get pregnant..... letty has been through alot in those 2 years. it wouldn't surprise me if she goes abit crazy in fast 9.

• Like 1

and just 2 things about the episode itself:

1. that second opinions theme was amazing. congrats to who ever put it together. and it was made even better by hearing Jason's reactions to it.

2. the moment where june ask paul "what do you do in there?" after he describes the VR comedy thing ... i was nearly on the floor. i know this is going to make me sound like a real sad person but i really wish i knew paul and june .. the way they bounce of each other is hilarious

• Like 1

rock1.jpg

Well I know what I'm gonna be for Halloween.

the-rock-collage.jpg?w=650&quality=100&h=484

• Like 3