🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenMartinson

Homework: Shakespeare in Love (1998)

Good morning! I'm not Nick Perkins, and next week, it looks like David Ehrlich is bringing 1998 Academy Award for Best Picture-winner Shakespeare in Love for consideration of canonization.

You can find Shakespeare in Love streaming on Netflix, streaming on Amazon Prime, and for rental to non-Prime members.

Go team!!

• Like 1

I'm going to try an re-watch it and then listen to the podcast with an open mind.

• Like 1

Christ, David Ehlrich can be infuriating sometimes- particularly his recent Netflix article, but the combination of him being on the backfoot in this regard (defending a movie rather than attacking) and the fact he's a feisty dude, we may have a return to a canon episode that feels like a canon episode, rather than the 3 bizarre half-hearted polite debates we've had recently.

Christ, David Ehlrich can be infuriating sometimes (...)

Can't agree more. Don't mean to step on any toes here - Erlich seems to have a healthy following these days - but his charm is a little lost on me. He seems a little too eager to play the hip contrarian, or just be flat-out dismissive. I think it's a tonal thing, where he comes across as posturing sometimes. Maybe I've got him all wrong, who knows. Just not my tempo.

But agreed, this should be a fun one. I don't think he'll hold back.

PS: for any La La Land lovers, this may be another bumpy ride. Coincidentally, David guested on another podcast I like - Blank Check with Griffin & David* - where he alluded to recording this episode and mentioned the further bashing upon that movie with Amy.

* If you enjoy semi-comedic cinema podcasts, I highly recommend Blank Check. They deep-dive into filmographies of directors who, after a major hit, got to make any project they wanted - so the likes of Shyamalan, The Wachowskis, Cameron Crowe, etc. Hosted by Griffin Newman (ie. Arthur on Amazon's The Tick, and a bunch of other stuff) and David Sims (film critic for The Atlantic, formerly of The AV Club). Good stuff.**

** On the David Erlich episode he expounds on why Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was one of his favorite movies of that year. That was not good stuff.

• Like 1

It's difficult to set aside current feelings for Paltrow.

PS: for any La La Land lovers, this may be another bumpy ride. Coincidentally, David guested on another podcast I like - Blank Check with Griffin & David* - where he alluded to recording this episode and mentioned the further bashing upon that movie with Amy.

That seems odd .La La Land was one of his favorite movies from last year. He rated it a 4.5/5 on Letterboxd. He's on team La La Land, so I'd think he'd defend it against Amy instead of bash.

That seems odd .La La Land was one of his favorite movies from last year. He rated it a 4.5/5 on Letterboxd. He's on team La La Land, so I'd think he'd defend it against Amy instead of bash.

Maybe he was just referencing Amy continuing to bash it?

Anyone else disappointed with the show's choice of films since the comeback ?

Good morning! I'm not Nick Perkins

I laughed my ass off over this introduction. Great job!

I rewatched Shakespeare In Love last evening. I haven't watched it in ages, and tried to watch it with an open mind. And boy, it was a pretty underwhelming experience. I did like some of the dialogue and performances, but in my opinion the score sounds like 90s romantic comedy stock score 101, it was about 30 minutes too long, the pacing sometimes felt too slow, and the camerawork and directing felt a bit uninspired to be canon-worthy. Your thoughts?

• Like 1

I already commented in another thread on my personal view of its quality, but this movie is mostly forgotten (except as an example of Harvey Weinstein's ability to play the awards game). Does not strike me as canonical.

Sign in to follow this