🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Serendipity (2001)

This movie makes me mad on so many levels. I don't understand how John Cusack got cast in so many romantic lead roles. He is entirely devoid of anything resembling charisma or charm in this.

That aside, both Cusack and Beckingsale are both terrible people in this movie. They meet each other in a mall randomly while dating two other people and have a flirty encounter that goes nowhere. That by itself is one thing. The fact that they then spend next few years continuing to date their respective significant others to the point of getting engaged, while simultaneously searching for each other is another.

At least Beckingsale's character has the benefit of being engaged to a Yanni facsimile, so its understandable why shes got cold feet. Cusack is engaged to a perfectly lovely woman who seems to genuinely care for him and Cusack spends the movie running in terror from her.

It just blows my mind thinking back at all the big rom-coms that end with a climax of the two leads essentially dumping people at the altar so they can run off with whatever person they've been emotionally (or physically) cheating with throughout the movie. And were supposed to root for those people at the end.

Bump for this terrible movie. I maintain my complete bewilderment at Cusack being cast as a romantic lead for as long as he was. I feel like a potato exhibits more charisma and personality than John in any of his movies.

Sign in to follow this