๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 11 Repo! the Genetic Opera

This is giving me flashbacks to when I didn't know how to gif. It still may take me a while, guys and gals. The sad part was at the legal clinic I worked at, my midterm evaluation complimented me on being "technologically savvy".

ย 

Edit: The only option it's giving me is to change my display name, so I'm probably not established enough yet with this new account.

It didn't allow me until I was well over 100 posts (150 I think).

• Like 5

<snip>Since most have some sort of singing background.</snip>

I think you found it! Most of them are used to singing in the background and here they're expected to be front and center.

ย 

ย 

OK, that's bad. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Surprisingly, I didn't hate Paris Hilton's singing in this..

I'd say she was one of the only ones where their voice actually worked with the songs...

200w.gif#36-grid1

Granted, she wasn't in the movie much. And was only in like 2 songs in the movie?..

but there is an additional/deleted scene with another song with her featured in it. I don't hate her voice in this one either.

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oegyyx1WeU

• Like 5

the opera audience member that got naked in seconds because she got a kidney implant/transplant so she can drink a lot of alcohol

ย 

I believe those were 2 separate women. There was the first woman, while testifying, who said she was an alcoholic and then just bought a new liver (Thanks GeneCo!). The second woman wanted breast implants but couldn't afford it because she was a single mom so GeneCo made her that "pay for display" deal.

It didn't allow me until I was well over 100 posts (150 I think).

Well I better get cracking then.

ย 

Surprisingly, I didn't hate Paris Hilton's singing in this..

I'd say she was one of the only ones where their voice actually worked with the songs...

ย 

Granted, she wasn't in the movie much. And was only in like 2 songs in the movie?..

but there is an additional/deleted scene with another song with her featured in it. I don't hate her voice in this one either.

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oegyyx1WeU

12/10 agree.

• Like 5

I'm glad to hear that Zydrate Anatomy was a movie add-on. That explains why a lot of the song either doesn't fit the rest of the movie or seemingly contradicts it.

ย 

- The streetwalker Shilo meets says she has been turning tricks since she's 13. Maybe it's my age but she doesn't look all that bad for being out on the streets for years. (I guess GeneCo's transplants really work. She could make more money doing commercials for them than turning tricks.) Compare that to how quickly Fantine goes downhill in Les Miserables.

ย 

- I still marvel at the idea the lady was turning tricks within a month of her first Zydrate dose/surgery combo. Is she that addicted to surgery? Is she related to Amber Sweet?

ย 

- What happens when the initial dose of Zydrate wears off? Or is the surgery self-healing like the machines in Logan's Run?

ย 

- Maximiliano commented on Paris getting the shot in her upper thigh. I was also surprised at this but mainly that her bodyguards allowed the Graverobber to get that close to her. They were pushing him off her when he had her against the wall.

ย 

- The Graverobber laments getting into the business and says he wonders why "they" need him at all. Who's "they"? It can't be GeneCo because the making-of featurette has Terrance sitting in front of a poster reading "Graverobbers will be executed on sight." Maybe GeneCo was saying one thing publicly and employing graverobbers privately?

ย 

- Why does Amber hate Blind Mag so much? As soon as Shilo says the name Amber is angry and looking for the offender. Amber then says something to the effect of "If Blind Mag wasn't in the way I could be that star!" Is that why they go after Blind Mag so much and eventually kill her? When I saw Repo! a couple years ago I don't remember Amber ever expressing an ambition to be a singing star.

• Like 2

The Zydrate Anatomy featurette.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

Sorry, last post.

ย 

1) Why are some people normal skin tones and some white? The white doesn't seem like they're just pale but like the skin has been bleached. I initially thought maybe the world was dark/in night/scorched sky for most of the time but the effect is very scattershot in the Zydrate Anatomy clip.

ย 

2) Is Amber having eye work done as well? At one point shortly after she says "Who did that?" She's looking around but her eyes are closed and there are marks around her eyes like she's recently had surgery.

ย 

3) Given the description on how to use "the little glass vial" is shooting someone with a Zydrate gun committing assault with a battery? (OK, I'll show myself out.)

• Like 6

I still marvel at the idea the lady was turning tricks within a month of her first Zydrate dose/surgery combo. Is she that addicted to surgery?

ย 

Maximiliano commented on Paris getting the shot in her upper thigh. I was also surprised at this but mainly that her bodyguards allowed the Graverobber to get that close to her. They were pushing him off her when he had her against the wall.

ย 

Why does Amber hate Blind Mag so much? As soon as Shilo says the name Amber is angry and looking for the offender. Amber then says something to the effect of "If Blind Mag wasn't in the way I could be that star!" Is that why they go after Blind Mag so much and eventually kill her? When I saw Repo! a couple years ago I don't remember Amber ever expressing an ambition to be a singing star.

I thought of that 13 year old having a "Welcome to your first surgery special. We'll get you hooked on surgery/zydrate early on and if you can't afford us, we have financing!" Then falls down a rabbit hole of Lady of the Evening-ing.

ย 

I think it's because they low-key have a relationship. She's willing to exchange sex for zydrate. So the guards are there, in case there is no zydrate on the table yet. I think getting shot in the thigh is like a foreplay thing to them. Also, so they don't blow out her veins? That part doesn't track as well because I think we can assume it's immediately active as a dermal injection.

ย 

She does want to be a singer. She "opens" for Blind Mag at the Genetic Opera and is still half-strung out on zydrate. That's when her face falls off.

1) Why are some people normal skin tones and some white? The white doesn't seem like they're just pale but like the skin has been bleached. I initially thought maybe the world was dark/in night/scorched sky for most of the time but the effect is very scattershot in the Zydrate Anatomy clip.

ย 

2) Is Amber having eye work done as well? At one point shortly after she says "Who did that?" She's looking around but her eyes are closed and there are marks around her eyes like she's recently had surgery.

ย 

3) Given the description on how to use "the little glass vial" is shooting someone with a Zydrate gun committing assault with a battery? (OK, I'll show myself out.)

1. I thought it was because of Shiloh's poisoning, that's why she is pale. The others, I couldn't say.

2. She just was injected with zydrate, so I figured she was "unfocused" at best. And in the Come and Try My Parts song, it does look like she maybe got her eyelids done.

3. How dare you. I love it.

• Like 6

- The Graverobber laments getting into the business and says he wonders why "they" need him at all. Who's "they"? It can't be GeneCo because the making-of featurette has Terrance sitting in front of a poster reading "Graverobbers will be executed on sight." Maybe GeneCo was saying one thing publicly and employing graverobbers privately?

I figured out who "they" are. They are his customers, the zydrate addicts he keeps grave robbing to keep supplied. It finally clicked when the vial came out and all the addicts flocked around him. He's lamenting becoming a dealer because the people only love him as long as he feeds their addictions. When he's done he's back to riding in the trash truck, harvesting off-brand Zydrate from the corpses.

• Like 5

I think it's because they low-key have a relationship. She's willing to exchange sex for zydrate. So the guards are there, in case there is no zydrate on the table yet. I think getting shot in the thigh is like a foreplay thing to them. Also, so they don't blow out her veins? That part doesn't track as well because I think we can assume it's immediately active as a dermal injection.

This is exactly it. I'm not sure that sex is her only payment for the Zydrate but it's a definite perk. It seems like she's trying to keep the full extent of her addiction secret from her father (and failing miserably) so she laments needing the Graverobber to keep her supplied with off-brand stuff. She knows how much better the real McCoy (callback to Streets of Fire?) is but can't ask her father for it. The "Come Try My New Parts" song makes that relationship explicit. Thanks for posting that kateacola.

• Like 4

ย 

I really really don't understand Zydrate. I don't know why it connects to surgery or why you can get a good quality sample from dead bodies. I feel like its supposed to be something like heroin, but to my knowledge, you can't harvest heroin from a dead body. Maybe you can. I'm not a scientist.

You have obviously not seen

ย 

220px-IComeInPeace.DolphLundgren.jpg

• Like 4

This is exactly it. I'm not sure that sex is her only payment for the Zydrate but it's a definite perk. It seems like she's trying to keep the full extent of her addiction secret from her father (and failing miserably) so she laments needing the Graverobber to keep her supplied with off-brand stuff. She knows how much better the real McCoy (callback to Streets of Fire?) is but can't ask her father for it. The "Come Try My New Parts" song makes that relationship explicit. Thanks for posting that kateacola.

As always my first impression is incomplete or inaccurate. I watched the Zydrate Anatomy featurette again last night and Terrance says that Amber is a wholesome campaigner for GeneCo-made Zydrate by day. To paraphrase: "Use Zydrate and you'll be OK! There are no side effects and it's not addictive!". At night she prowls the alleys looking to get her fix. She definitely still uses sex as payment because some of the shots in "Come Try My New Parts" are used in Zydrate Anatomy.

• Like 1

You have obviously not seen

ย 

220px-IComeInPeace.DolphLundgren.jpg

ย 

You are very correct in this assumption

• Like 4

Oh wow not gonna read 10 pages of this

ย 

Just want to mention how much I hated this movie and it's brief run at supplanting Rocky Horror as the community theater midnight movie du jour

ย 

OK thanks

ย 

Just want to mention how much I hated this movie and it's brief run at supplanting Rocky Horror as the community theater midnight movie du jour

ย 

OK thanks

giphy.gif

• Like 5

ย 

ย 

OK thanks

Uh, ok.

• Like 6

I don't think I said this earlier, but thank you, Ellen, for the interesting pick! I can safely say, I wouldn't have watched Repo! if not for Musical Mondays, and I'm glad I did:)

• Like 8

I concur. I had been resisting watching Repo for a long time and although I didn't care for it, I'm glad I watched it. I think it was an interesting experiment.

• Like 6

Thank you all, if for nothing else, for your indulgence.

• Like 7

I know we've all moved on to discussing An American Tail in a new thread but I finally found time to finish this wild ride and come discuss it. I loved Amber Sweet and I never thought I would ever say this, but honestly I wanted more Paris Hilton.

ย 

There are a few things I'm still confused about.

ย 

1. No seriously why did Amber's face fall off? The surgeons couldn't even stitch her together?

ย 

2. How come her facial surgeries ended up being so amazing but her brother's (I can't remember which has which name) is stuck on by clamps? Was that his choice so that he could easily change at will? It looks fucking horrible so like why???

ย 

3. Was it just me or at one point did it totally seem like they were going have Shilo fall for the Graverobber and try and ~make him better~ which would have been a total goth trope back then that I can see happening.

ย 

4. When Shilo first meets the Graverobber he's legit just standing up and singing while taking the shit out of the dead person's nose, but no one can see him just standing there? I mean even Shilo is doing a horrible job at hiding behind that grave stone so those "police" really should have seen them earlier. They are terrible at their jobs.

ย 

5. If people are so addicted to Zydrate then why even go through the surgeries at all? What's the point? Just get the drug and feel no pain cause there's literally no point in even going through with the rest of it if that's what you're after.

ย 

6. WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT SHILO??? No seriously her character was fucking boooorrrriiiiinnnnnggggg. It was like she was supposed to be this big heroine but she whines and complains and tells people to leave her alone or she'll get in trouble every fucking 5 minutes. I hated her. I hated Alexa Vega's singing in this. She's pointless to the story other than just being a talking plot point.

• Like 7

There are a few things I'm still confused about.

ย 

1. No seriously why did Amber's face fall off? The surgeons couldn't even stitch her together?

ย 

2. How come her facial surgeries ended up being so amazing but her brother's (I can't remember which has which name) is stuck on by clamps? Was that his choice so that he could easily change at will? It looks fucking horrible so like why???

ย 

It would of been funny If she had those clamps ala Pavi in that last epilogue scene where the Largo kids get what they want, because movie... lol

ย 

5. If people are so addicted to Zydrate then why even go through the surgeries at all? What's the point? Just get the drug and feel no pain cause there's literally no point in even going through with the rest of it if that's what you're after

ย 

And also its SO easy to lie about a surgery for internal organs and save that money if people are so obsessed 40 years form now... "Yeah I replaced everyting ;)"

• Like 6

Zydrate from corpses is dumb because 1. That's not how opiates work, 2. That's not how burial works, and 3. They would have had regulations regarding the removal of zydrate before burial or make cremation mandatory.

• Like 5

Taylor, in regard to your fifth point, were the people addicted to Zydrate or getting surgery (surgery)? Or was it just a vicious cycle?

• Like 6

Taylor, in regard to your fifth point, were the people addicted to Zydrate or getting surgery (surgery)? Or was it just a vicious cycle?

It seems like it was a vicious cycle, but they mention in the movie that people are addicted to Zydrate. However, when mentioning Amber's addiction they say she's addicted to the knife, but then of course show her begging for the Zydrate.

ย 

So which is it???

• Like 5

I loved Amber Sweet and I never thought I would ever say this, but honestly I wanted more Paris Hilton.

giphy.gif

ย 

It seems like it was a vicious cycle, but they mention in the movie that people are addicted to Zydrate. However, when mentioning Amber's addiction they say she's addicted to the knife, but then of course show her begging for the Zydrate.

ย 

So which is it???

I think it's weirdly both. For whatever reason, people in this society believe they have become addicted to surgery but no one has clued in that they're actually addicted to Zydrate. It's a co-dependant addiction(?) They need surgery to fulfill their emotional/psychological addiction and the zydrate is a physical manifestation/addiction.

ย 

That's all I got.

• Like 4