🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 162 - My Stepmother Is An Alien: LIVE!

They did the Bin Laden song as a Digital Short on SNL too, with Andy and Vanessa Bayer, but without the context of the movie, it just came across as kind of gross. It was better in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9Kaa1sycs

Of all the songs in the movie, what a horrible pick.

I used to really enjoy comedy movies, but feel like in the last few years the comedy movies coming out don't do it for me at all.

I don't know if my sense of humor has changed as I got older, or that comedy movies are geared more to a younger audience? Or if they really have been crappier lately?

It's been rare in the last few years where I really liked a straight comedy movie, and this one was an exception for me. So I really did want it to do better.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I was just thinking what was the last comedy movie to have me laughing out loud regularly and the first one came to mind was What We Do in the Shadows and then I realized that came out in 2014. That's not to say there aren't movies that make me laugh. I laughed a lot during The Nice Guys, but that's not really a straight up comedy. Swiss Army Man and Hunt for the Wilder People got me to smile, but again both are more dramas. I often wonder like you if I'm just getting old and cranky because every straight up comedy I watched last year was either terrible or just meh. Popstar I haven't gotten to yet but now I do.

• Like 4

I used to really enjoy comedy movies, but feel like in the last few years the comedy movies coming out don't do it for me at all.

I don't know if my sense of humor has changed as I got older, or that comedy movies are geared more to a younger audience? Or if they really have been crappier lately?

It's been rare in the last few years where I really liked a straight comedy movie, and this one was an exception for me. So I really did want it to do better.

Part of it is that TV comedy has gotten a lot better. I feel like most of the talent is going there now.

If you're doing a big-screen comedy now it has to be wrapped up in some major franchise, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Like 4

Do you think that maybe Popstar didn't do as well as they'd hoped because they potentially alienated the teen market by making fun of Bieber? I don't think many Beliebers thought the promo stuff was very funny.

I really liked the movie, too.

In case you're curious: the spell-checker on the Earwolf forums does not recognise the following words: Popstar; Earwolf.

It DOES recognise the following words: Bieber; Beliebers.

I think more people didnt give it a chance because his first big project off SNL was that fuck awful Sandler movie.

• Like 1

RE: Comedies

I am also in the camp of not actively seeking out comedies but I genuinely loved Trainwreck as well as every movie Melissa McCarthy has done in the last few years. I fully believe that when it comes to trailers no one knows how to cut one for a comedy. They always ALWAYS look like those are the only jokes they have and are on par with those shitty Sandler movies.

I usually just try to pay attention to director/cast because I'm more likely to go see something in theaters if I can actually have faith in it obviously lol.

• Like 5

Part of it is that TV comedy has gotten a lot better. I feel like most of the talent is going there now.

If you're doing a big-screen comedy now it has to be wrapped up in some major franchise, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Eh...maybe for some people, but I don't watch television comedies either. I think I just like my comedy to be spontaneous, like as a part of a conversation - and especially if I'm a part of the dialog ;)

I don't know...Maybe there's just something about the whole "I'm going to make you laugh with these jokes" that comes with movie and television comedies. I have a tendency to be stubborn and that feels like a challenge.

Are there exceptions? Certainly. But for the most part, I don't find much of it to be worthwhile. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

One of the best episodes in a while--Paul inadvertently taking over the creepy Jason role was hilarious and June was both on point and had terrific misunderstanding-annoyance moments in classic June fashion.

Not quite good enough for an official Corrections & Omission submission, but Whitney's comment that this movie wouldn't work today because of all the hybrid cars (since the Basingalien consumes car batteries) is almost exactly backwards--hybrid and electric cars have more batteries than internal combustion-only cars.

*Buffalo Bill voice* Would you put me in a bra? I'd put me in a bra!

• Like 5

I am also in the camp of not actively seeking out comedies but I genuinely loved Trainwreck as well as every movie Melissa McCarthy has done in the last few years.

Even The Boss?

I was just thinking what was the last comedy movie to have me laughing out loud regularly and the first one came to mind was What We Do in the Shadows and then I realized that came out in 2014.

Unpopular opinion: I don't find that movie all that funny. The only part that I would have found really funny was ruined by Imgur, like, a day before I saw it

tumblr_ooq4b7UHtc1qzibw8o1_500.gif

And it's a shame because I love EVERYONE involved with the movie, but it just didn't do it for me. Taika's other movies made me laugh a lot more (especially Hunt for the Wilderpeople).

Eh...maybe for some people, but I don't watch television comedies either. I think I just like my comedy to be spontaneous, like as a part of a conversation

This is why I loved Da Ali G show, but didn't care as much for the movies that came from it.

Comedy suffers a little from saturation. I still find plenty to laugh at on TV and movies, but I was only going to laugh at (to use an example) American Pie* once. It helped that I was a teenager then, too.

*including sequels and similar movies like Road Trip, etc.

• Like 3

Even The Boss?

Definitely not as good as the others, but there were laughs. I rewatched a bit of Spy the other day and that one is so damn funny that I was mainly thinking of it lol.

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion: I don't find that movie all that funny. The only part that I would have found really funny was ruined by Imgur, like, a day before I saw it

tumblr_ooq4b7UHtc1qzibw8o1_500.gif

That is so many people's favourite part. Mine would be the weird runner about how much they love Stu. That and them doing the Lost Boys trick on people.

For me I think I heard about the movie first when they were on Doug Loves Movies. Outside of that didn't really know anything about it or see any trailers and it surprised me and made me laugh. I think that's another problem with comedies, like Taylor Anne was saying that the trailers are terrible. They often give away the biggest jokes in the movie, or make it look like it's one type of comedy when it's not.

• Like 3

Looking at the wiki list of box office bombs, I'd say The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015). I enjoyed that movie a fucking tonne and think it didn't get the love it deserved. It made me think "Oh, Henry Cavill AND Armie Hammer can act!"

Definitely not as good as the others, but there were laughs. I rewatched a bit of Spy the other day and that one is so damn funny that I was mainly thinking of it lol.

Spy is my new go-to movie. Peter Serafinowicz was the greatest, after Melissa McCarthy.

• Like 3

I get it. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it. I think my problem also might have been that by the time I saw, people had built it up to be the funniest thing ever made.

I also agree about Hunt for the Wilderpeople. :)

• Like 3

This is why I loved Da Ali G show, but didn't care as much for the movies that came from it.

Comedy suffers a little from saturation. I still find plenty to laugh at on TV and movies, but I was only going to laugh at (to use an example) American Pie* once. It helped that I was a teenager then, too.

*including sequels and similar movies like Road Trip, etc.

I agree with you. There's only so many times you can watch/hear "that" joke, you know?

I think Sycasey is right in that I prefer Comedy to be packaged with something else. Like, it should be the peanut butter in a Reese's cup. The chocolate has to either be drama (Hunt for the Wilderpeople), Horror (Shaun of the Dead), Action (Beverly Hills Cop), or Sci-Fi (Guardians of the Galaxy). Otherwise, you're just handing me a Hershey's chocolate bar (The Hangover) and who wants that shit?

• Like 3

So I was just reading up on this whole King Arthur clusterfuck going on right now, and it got me curious. Just because a movie flops doesn't necessarily mean that it's "bad." So to the group, are there any big, box office flops that you actually enjoy?

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is what immediately comes to mind for me. I love that movie and it kind of hurts my feelings that it was a box office flop.

• Like 7

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is what immediately comes to mind for me. I love that movie and it kind of hurts my feelings that it was a box office flop.

Couldn't agree more. On top of the extensive Toronto-spotting available throughout that movie, I loved it from T to B. Not surprising that it wasn't a big hit though: it's aimed at a very specific niche.

• Like 7

It still surprises me every time I remember that it was technically a flop. It's amazing!!!

• Like 6

Spy is REALLY great.

• Like 3