Jump to content


Episode 162.5 - Minisode 162.5


76 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

View PostSmigg, on 21 May 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:


It was even less than that, I heard it was less than three million (2.7 is the number I keep hearing).

Chris Jericho even said "When I heard he bought it for that much, I said 'Why didn't anybody tell me?' Because I'd have bought it myself".

What still amazes me is that Turner turned down the first true offer for WCW that came earlier that year, which was 500 million. I have to imagine that they were kicking themselves hard, especially after how hard AOL-Time Warner tumbled after their merger saw them take a loss of just shy of 100 billion in 2002.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#42 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 21 May 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

What still amazes me is that Turner turned down the first true offer for WCW that came earlier that year, which was 500 million. I have to imagine that they were kicking themselves hard, especially after how hard AOL-Time Warner tumbled after their merger saw them take a loss of just shy of 100 billion in 2002.


Because Ted Turner LOVES wrestling. He wouldn't have given it up for double that.

The funny thing is, if Jamie Kellner didn't cancel WCW, Vince wouldn't have managed to buy it. Eric Bischoff got together a group to buy it (Fusient Media), and Kellner said "Okay, so you're buying the name, the trademarks, the tape library... but you're not gonna put that shit on our channels", So the deal fell apart, and I don't think anything has managed to outdo to the numbers WCW were doing at their lowest, let alone at their highest.

As it turns out, Jamie Kellner is also reviled amongst animation fans, as he's the man who cancelled:
- Animaniacs
- Pinky And The Brain
- Freakazoid
- Batman: The Animated Series (and all the shows that spun off)

So, he's not a popular man.

#43 joel_rosenbaum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

After reading you guys' comments, I was expecting Artie Lange as one of the callers with a PAUL-ASK.

#44 Elektra Boogaloo

    Mistress of All Agonies

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

Guys I only got to listen to this mini today because I spent the weekend moving (don't do it! No matter how shitty the place you are is, moving is worse!) And I just found out that I got points from Paul and called a nerd!

I'm obviously one of those fake nerd girls. Hair flip.

Anyway, highlight of the weekend.

I haven't seen "Running Man." I feel like a failure.

#45 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 22 May 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Guys I only got to listen to this mini today because I spent the weekend moving (don't do it! No matter how shitty the place you are is, moving is worse!) And I just found out that I got points from Paul and called a nerd!

I'm obviously one of those fake nerd girls. Hair flip.

Anyway, highlight of the weekend.

I haven't seen "Running Man." I feel like a failure.


You're in for a treat

Best part is, we get another Stephen King HDTGM episode!!

#46 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

On top of that, The Running Man has one of my all time favourite action movie power ballads of all time. I fucking love this song!



#47 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostSmigg, on 21 May 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:


Because Ted Turner LOVES wrestling. He wouldn't have given it up for double that.

The funny thing is, if Jamie Kellner didn't cancel WCW, Vince wouldn't have managed to buy it. Eric Bischoff got together a group to buy it (Fusient Media), and Kellner said "Okay, so you're buying the name, the trademarks, the tape library... but you're not gonna put that shit on our channels", So the deal fell apart, and I don't think anything has managed to outdo to the numbers WCW were doing at their lowest, let alone at their highest.

As it turns out, Jamie Kellner is also reviled amongst animation fans, as he's the man who cancelled:
- Animaniacs
- Pinky And The Brain
- Freakazoid
- Batman: The Animated Series (and all the shows that spun off)

So, he's not a popular man.

Oh I know WCW was Turner's baby, but by 2001, it was completely out of his hands since he was basically just a figurehead after the merger with AOL. As for Kellner, while he had good ideas for television, he was also a bit behind the times with his mindset on where the medium was going, hence the cancellation of a lot of beloved shows. WWE did outdo WCW's highest ratings at their peak, but I find it odd that the ratings that they are getting now are around the area that WCW was getting when it was decided to close up the promotion. Also, if you haven't read The Death of WCW, read it, because it is a glorious book that doesn't pick a side between the promotions and the re-release actually offers up new information that just became public, along with how current promotions are either learning or not learning from WCW's biggest mistakes.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#48 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 22 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Oh I know WCW was Turner's baby, but by 2001, it was completely out of his hands since he was basically just a figurehead after the merger with AOL. As for Kellner, while he had good ideas for television, he was also a bit behind the times with his mindset on where the medium was going, hence the cancellation of a lot of beloved shows. WWE did outdo WCW's highest ratings at their peak, but I find it odd that the ratings that they are getting now are around the area that WCW was getting when it was decided to close up the promotion. Also, if you haven't read The Death of WCW, read it, because it is a glorious book that doesn't pick a side between the promotions and the re-release actually offers up new information that just became public, along with how current promotions are either learning or not learning from WCW's biggest mistakes.


I meant that TNT didn't post higher ratings in WCW's slot, I don't think anything that TNT put on beat it. Not WWE, they were a juggernaut in 99-2001. I think some of the blame on the lower ratings can be attributed to the sheer number of channels, DVR boxes and On Demand services, as well as the product not being in fashion right now.

I did hear that Kellner passed on Pokemon, because he didn't think it was really that big of a deal or something along those lines.

I keep on meaning to get The Death of WCW, in fact, fuck it, I've ordered it now, along with Jericho's books. I did see this article called "The WCW Fail Files", like the episode of Thunder that was "New York Street Rules Wrestling"

In fact, speaking of stupid mistakes in wrestling, did you hear the story of Vince forgetting that he fired Jimmy Wang Yang?

The Ready To Rumble thread/mini-episode is just going to be us two talking, isn't it? :D

#49 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 22 May 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Guys I only got to listen to this mini today because I spent the weekend moving (don't do it! No matter how shitty the place you are is, moving is worse!) And I just found out that I got points from Paul and called a nerd!

I'm obviously one of those fake nerd girls. Hair flip.

Anyway, highlight of the weekend.

I haven't seen "Running Man." I feel like a failure.


That was really awesome! It was a good C&O, too. I can only guess Jason's been so caught up on how horrible those Inhuman pics are that he couldn't shake Lockjaw from his brain. Still, I feel like if anyone's a huge Kitty Pryde fan, it's Jason...

Also, I agree. Moving is the worst!
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#50 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostSmigg, on 22 May 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:


I meant that TNT didn't post higher ratings in WCW's slot, I don't think anything that TNT put on beat it. Not WWE, they were a juggernaut in 99-2001. I think some of the blame on the lower ratings can be attributed to the sheer number of channels, DVR boxes and On Demand services, as well as the product not being in fashion right now.

I did hear that Kellner passed on Pokemon, because he didn't think it was really that big of a deal or something along those lines.

I keep on meaning to get The Death of WCW, in fact, fuck it, I've ordered it now, along with Jericho's books. I did see this article called "The WCW Fail Files", like the episode of Thunder that was "New York Street Rules Wrestling"

In fact, speaking of stupid mistakes in wrestling, did you hear the story of Vince forgetting that he fired Jimmy Wang Yang?

The Ready To Rumble thread/mini-episode is just going to be us two talking, isn't it? :D

DON'T CARE!
Posted Image
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#51 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:26 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 22 May 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

DON'T CARE!
Posted Image


Posted Image

#52 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

Goddamnit!

R.I.P. Roger Moore

Posted Image
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#53 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

what a shitty day ... RIP Mr. Moore

Posted Image

#54 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

Very sad news about Roger Moore, who was my favorite Bond. Last month, Clifton James, who played Sheriff JW Pepper, also passed away.

#55 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

God damn, I go out to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I come home to the news that Roger Moore just died.

#56 pepperjack

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Not only did Roger Moore die, but on Matt Gourley's birthday. What a shitty thing to happen.

#57 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

I just couldn't believe Moore was 89, he looked maybe 70.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#58 Smigg

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

Speaking of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I loved every second of it, got emotional at some points, and Karen Gillan is still an absolutely stunning woman, even with no hair, painted blue, and covered in metal.

Also, Dave Bautista needs his own Drax movie, he stole the movie for me.

#59 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

has anyone here used TubiTV?

it's an ad based movie streaming service. In Ireland we seem to have a much smaller selection of movies (as usual) but you guys in the states have a massive selection. Some good movies too.

for example, this is their not on netflix selection: http://tubitv.com/ca.../not_on_netflix

not saying all the movies are worth a watch but there's definatley a good few notables.

Posted Image

it's free to sign up and watch so if any one has any experience with it ... what's it like? for the sake of a few ads it might be worth a look

#60 joel_rosenbaum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:24 AM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 23 May 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

has anyone here used TubiTV?
Looks like Vudu (US), which is Walmart's foray into instant streaming.

Video quality is good, and the ads are tolerable. The website interface is kind of cruddy, however.