🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 162.5 - Minisode 162.5

Was this movie one of the things that led to WWE overtaking WCW in terms of viewership or had that already happened at that point?

That had already happened.

The movie, and David Arquette's subsequent World Title win, was 2000, about a year after the "Fingerpoke of Doom", which sent viewers to the WWF, what made it worse, the commentator (Tony Schiavone) was told to tell the audience "If you're even thinking about changing the channel to our competition, I'll let you know that Mick Foley, who used to work here as 'Cactus Jack', will win there world title. HAH! That's gonna put some butts in the seats!", when Schiavone said that, 400,000 people changed channel immediately.

That was the turning point, and then WWF dominated after that.

So, WCW put the belt on Darvid Arquette in an effort to garner some mainstream press. Then, to make matters even more ridiculous, they made David Arquette the bad guy.

There's a pretty good thread in the recommendation forum about this movie because it needs to be done. Not only was a side story of this movie that Arquette actually became the WCW Heavyweight Champion to help promote it, but a subplot of the movie is how the main characters get free slurpees by sticking their hands up their own asses.

Oh god, I can just say so much about this movie. Dammit, Paul, if you're not gonna give me MK:Annihilation, give me this one!

Blame also has to go to Paul or whomever else decided to include that cringe-worthy shit in the mini-ep.

Totally agree.

• Like 3

Was this movie one of the things that led to WWE overtaking WCW in terms of viewership or had that already happened at that point?

WCW was basically on life support at that point so they were looking for splashy headlines to bring in viewers. Unfortunately the title win was rightly mocked by EVERYONE, including Arquette who didn't want to win the belt because as a lifelong wrestling fan he knew that fans would absolutely hate the angle. WWE started making a turn in the ratings about a year after Stone Cold Steve Austin's infamous "Austin 3:16" speech, which led to big name celebrities like Mike Tyson getting involved with the promotion bringing in the desired publicity from the mainstream media.

From there the WWE couldn't really do any wrong and generate huge ratings while WCW could do absolutely nothing right and the ratings started to free fall. It got so bad that in the span of 6 months in 2000, the WCW title changed hands 20 times as an attempt to build ratings, while prior to that the title it evolved from, the NWA title, changed hands the same number of times over the period of 1963-1983. So playing hot potato with the belt only went on to devalue the big belt that these wrestlers were supposed to be fighting for and the fans just stopped caring. It was only a matter of time before the company folded, it was just shocking that Vince McMahon bought his biggest competitor, once valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, for just over four million.

• Like 1

WCW was basically on life support at that point so they were looking for splashy headlines to bring in viewers. Unfortunately the title win was rightly mocked by EVERYONE, including Arquette who didn't want to win the belt because as a lifelong wrestling fan he knew that fans would absolutely hate the angle. WWE started making a turn in the ratings about a year after Stone Cold Steve Austin's infamous "Austin 3:16" speech, which led to big name celebrities like Mike Tyson getting involved with the promotion bringing in the desired publicity from the mainstream media.

From there the WWE couldn't really do any wrong and generate huge ratings while WCW could do absolutely nothing right and the ratings started to free fall. It got so bad that in the span of 6 months in 2000, the WCW title changed hands 20 times as an attempt to build ratings, while prior to that the title it evolved from, the NWA title, changed hands the same number of times over the period of 1963-1983. So playing hot potato with the belt only went on to devalue the big belt that these wrestlers were supposed to be fighting for and the fans just stopped caring. It was only a matter of time before the company folded, it was just shocking that Vince McMahon bought his biggest competitor, once valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, for just over four million.

It was even less than that, I heard it was less than three million (2.7 is the number I keep hearing).

Chris Jericho even said "When I heard he bought it for that much, I said 'Why didn't anybody tell me?' Because I'd have bought it myself".

Yeah. Someone called into the Explanation Hope Line just to tell Paul that this movie was the first time he "busted a nut."

Confession time: after the first two EHL calls, I skipped through the rest. :unsure: However, if this is what someone called in with, then I'm really glad I did.

Apparently people need to get something straight: when Jason says something in a movie made him "jerk off" it's what they call a "joke." I know it's hard to grasp*, but he's a professional and what he's saying didn't really happen. When he says something like that - based on the context, delivery, and timing - it's funny. If you're just some random middle aged dude calling into a podcast to reminisce about an actual time you jerked off to a movie, that's fucking gross and creepy. Please, think twice next time.

*heh

• Like 5

Where can we start a petition to permanently ban Jacob's Ladder Scenarios and Shared Universes from the C+Os? What if we just agree every film could possibly be both things in some way, assume it's a law of nature, and never say it again?

people say this alot on here but it's jason who keeps coming up with/encouraging the jacob's ladder scenarios in the eps (how has there not been a Jason's Ladder T-shirt made yet??) and it's paul who keeps reading the shared universe theories in the mini eps. he clearly enjoys them. he actually asks for them. they've become permanent fixtures because the hosts enjoy them. i think it's a case of ..

635705060410098144-164984916_participation .gif

• Like 2

people say this alot on here but it's jason who keeps coming up with/encouraging the jacob's ladder scenarios in the eps (how has there not been a Jason's Ladder T-shirt made yet??) and it's paul who keeps reading the shared universe theories in the mini eps. he clearly enjoys them. he actually asks for them. they've become permanent fixtures because the hosts enjoy them. i think it's a case of ..

635705060410098144-164984916_participation%20.gif

I think it's a matter of how creative they are being when they make the comment. If it's just, "Vin Diesel was in this and that...SHARED UNIVERSE!" then that's just lazy and uninteresting. Same with JLS's. Every time there is a minor accident in a movie you can bet an audience member will bring it up. That's not being creative, that's being mildly observant.

If the hosts are into them, that's fine. I'm just saying that I think it's become a crutch for cheap laughs -mostly from the audience. This show and it's hosts have always been better than relying on a couple hacky catchphrases like they're Larry the Cable Guy or some shit. "Bobo," "on the spectrum," and even "kumite" have all been retired.

If the hosts want to continue making these jokes or comparisons, that's fine. They're good at them. I think it's more the people who stand breathless at the microphone at a live show and say, "what if blah, blah, blah shared universe/JLS!" that we're tired of. I'm not even suggesting "go away forever." More of a "let's have a trial separation and see how it goes." We can always get back together if we miss each other. :)/>

ETA: I also recognize neither of these things are ever going to go away. Unless of course the hosts were like, "Don't say this anymore" which would be really stupid and petty. Again, I think we're just tired of the joke, not that we expect anything to be done about it. To use your metaphor, I came to the party to see my friends, meet new people, and have some fun. Just because I don't like to play pin the tail on the donkey anymore, doesn't mean I'm not otherwise having a good time.

• Like 2

I think it's a matter of how creative they are. If it's just, "Vin Diesel was in this and that...SHARED UNIVERSE!" Then that's just lazy and uninteresting. Same with JLS's. Every time there is a minor accident in a movie you can bet an audience member will bring it up. That's not being creative, that's being mildly observant.

kinda how i feel about 2000 word essays culled from wikipedia on how the filmmakers messed on the metaphysical laws of time. but to each their own. i think we need to get the guy who schooled us on massachusetts auto insurance back to show us how a proper correction and omission is done.

• Like 4

I think it's a matter of how creative they are being when they make the comment. If it's just, "Vin Diesel was in this and that...SHARED UNIVERSE!" then that's just lazy and uninteresting. Same with JLS's. Every time there is a minor accident in a movie you can bet an audience member will bring it up. That's not being creative, that's being mildly observant.

If the hosts are into them, that's fine. I'm just saying that I think it's become a crutch for cheap laughs -mostly from the audience. This show and it's hosts have always been better than relying on a couple hacky catch phrases like they're Larry the Cable Guy or some shit. "Bobo," "on the spectrum," and even "kumite" have all been retired.

If the hosts want to continue making these jokes or comparisons, that's fine. They're good at them. I think it's more the people who stand breathless at the microphone at a live show and say, "what if blah, blah, blah shared universe/JLS!" that we're tired of. I'm not even suggesting "go away forever." More of a "let's have a trial separation and see how it goes." We can always get back together if we miss each other. :)

ETA: I also recognize neither of these things are ever going to go away. Unless of course the hosts were like, "Don't say this anymore" which would be really stupid and petty. Again, I think we're just tired of the joke, not that we expect anything to be done about it. To use your metaphor, I came to the party to see my friends, meet new people, and have some fun. Just because I don't like to play pin the tail on the donkey anymore, doesn't mean I'm not otherwise having a good time.

Yep, all of this. As usual, Cameron has said what I was trying to say, in a far more eloquent and insightful manner. I like when Jason does his JLS lines, but let's leave those jokes to the professionals. Did you hear how much Jason enjoyed it in the last live episode when that one audience member tried to 'Hey Nong Man' him? Hint: he didn't like it at all. From all accounts, strangers on the street Hey Nong Man-ing him is way less funny than Aukerman doing it to him in studio.

• Like 1

Yep, all of this. As usual, Cameron has said what I was trying to say, in a far more eloquent and insightful manner. I like when Jason does his JLS lines, but let's leave those jokes to the professionals. Did you hear how much Jason enjoyed it in the last live episode when that one audience member tried to 'Hey Nong Man' him? Hint: he didn't like it at all. From all accounts, strangers on the street Hey Nong Man-ing him is way less funny than Aukerman doing it to him in studio.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the only fan allowed to "Hey Nong Man" Jason and that is a fact.

• Like 3

I've never understood the whole "Hey, famous person! I'm gonna shout one of your lines at you!" They're probably sick of hearing the fucking thing coming out of their own mouth, let alone some jabroni screaming it at them when they're out in public as well.

But, I also didn't get a picture when I met Mike Tyson, so I'm just weird.

• Like 3

I've never understood the whole "Hey, famous person! I'm gonna shout one of your lines at you!" They're probably sick of hearing the fucking thing coming out of their own mouth, let alone some jabroni screaming it at them when they're out in public as well.

But, I also didn't get a picture when I met Mike Tyson, so I'm just weird.

Those kinds of people are why we missed out on like a decade of Dave Chapelles comedy.

• Like 3

It was even less than that, I heard it was less than three million (2.7 is the number I keep hearing).

Chris Jericho even said "When I heard he bought it for that much, I said 'Why didn't anybody tell me?' Because I'd have bought it myself".

What still amazes me is that Turner turned down the first true offer for WCW that came earlier that year, which was 500 million. I have to imagine that they were kicking themselves hard, especially after how hard AOL-Time Warner tumbled after their merger saw them take a loss of just shy of 100 billion in 2002.

What still amazes me is that Turner turned down the first true offer for WCW that came earlier that year, which was 500 million. I have to imagine that they were kicking themselves hard, especially after how hard AOL-Time Warner tumbled after their merger saw them take a loss of just shy of 100 billion in 2002.

Because Ted Turner LOVES wrestling. He wouldn't have given it up for double that.

The funny thing is, if Jamie Kellner didn't cancel WCW, Vince wouldn't have managed to buy it. Eric Bischoff got together a group to buy it (Fusient Media), and Kellner said "Okay, so you're buying the name, the trademarks, the tape library... but you're not gonna put that shit on our channels", So the deal fell apart, and I don't think anything has managed to outdo to the numbers WCW were doing at their lowest, let alone at their highest.

As it turns out, Jamie Kellner is also reviled amongst animation fans, as he's the man who cancelled:

- Animaniacs

- Pinky And The Brain

- Freakazoid

- Batman: The Animated Series (and all the shows that spun off)

So, he's not a popular man.

Guys I only got to listen to this mini today because I spent the weekend moving (don't do it! No matter how shitty the place you are is, moving is worse!) And I just found out that I got points from Paul and called a nerd!

I'm obviously one of those fake nerd girls. Hair flip.

Anyway, highlight of the weekend.

I haven't seen "Running Man." I feel like a failure.

• Like 5

Guys I only got to listen to this mini today because I spent the weekend moving (don't do it! No matter how shitty the place you are is, moving is worse!) And I just found out that I got points from Paul and called a nerd!

You're in for a treat

Best part is, we get another Stephen King HDTGM episode!!

• Like 1

On top of that, The Running Man has one of my all time favourite action movie power ballads of all time. I fucking love this song!

Because Ted Turner LOVES wrestling. He wouldn't have given it up for double that.

The funny thing is, if Jamie Kellner didn't cancel WCW, Vince wouldn't have managed to buy it. Eric Bischoff got together a group to buy it (Fusient Media), and Kellner said "Okay, so you're buying the name, the trademarks, the tape library... but you're not gonna put that shit on our channels", So the deal fell apart, and I don't think anything has managed to outdo to the numbers WCW were doing at their lowest, let alone at their highest.

As it turns out, Jamie Kellner is also reviled amongst animation fans, as he's the man who cancelled:

- Animaniacs

- Pinky And The Brain

- Freakazoid

- Batman: The Animated Series (and all the shows that spun off)

So, he's not a popular man.

Oh I know WCW was Turner's baby, but by 2001, it was completely out of his hands since he was basically just a figurehead after the merger with AOL. As for Kellner, while he had good ideas for television, he was also a bit behind the times with his mindset on where the medium was going, hence the cancellation of a lot of beloved shows. WWE did outdo WCW's highest ratings at their peak, but I find it odd that the ratings that they are getting now are around the area that WCW was getting when it was decided to close up the promotion. Also, if you haven't read The Death of WCW, read it, because it is a glorious book that doesn't pick a side between the promotions and the re-release actually offers up new information that just became public, along with how current promotions are either learning or not learning from WCW's biggest mistakes.

Oh I know WCW was Turner's baby, but by 2001, it was completely out of his hands since he was basically just a figurehead after the merger with AOL. As for Kellner, while he had good ideas for television, he was also a bit behind the times with his mindset on where the medium was going, hence the cancellation of a lot of beloved shows. WWE did outdo WCW's highest ratings at their peak, but I find it odd that the ratings that they are getting now are around the area that WCW was getting when it was decided to close up the promotion. Also, if you haven't read The Death of WCW, read it, because it is a glorious book that doesn't pick a side between the promotions and the re-release actually offers up new information that just became public, along with how current promotions are either learning or not learning from WCW's biggest mistakes.

I meant that TNT didn't post higher ratings in WCW's slot, I don't think anything that TNT put on beat it. Not WWE, they were a juggernaut in 99-2001. I think some of the blame on the lower ratings can be attributed to the sheer number of channels, DVR boxes and On Demand services, as well as the product not being in fashion right now.

I did hear that Kellner passed on Pokemon, because he didn't think it was really that big of a deal or something along those lines.

I keep on meaning to get The Death of WCW, in fact, fuck it, I've ordered it now, along with Jericho's books. I did see this article called "The WCW Fail Files", like the episode of Thunder that was "New York Street Rules Wrestling"

In fact, speaking of stupid mistakes in wrestling, did you hear the story of Vince forgetting that he fired Jimmy Wang Yang?

The Ready To Rumble thread/mini-episode is just going to be us two talking, isn't it? :D

• Like 1

That was really awesome! It was a good C&O, too. I can only guess Jason's been so caught up on how horrible those Inhuman pics are that he couldn't shake Lockjaw from his brain. Still, I feel like if anyone's a huge Kitty Pryde fan, it's Jason...

Also, I agree. Moving is the worst!

• Like 3

I meant that TNT didn't post higher ratings in WCW's slot, I don't think anything that TNT put on beat it. Not WWE, they were a juggernaut in 99-2001. I think some of the blame on the lower ratings can be attributed to the sheer number of channels, DVR boxes and On Demand services, as well as the product not being in fashion right now.

I did hear that Kellner passed on Pokemon, because he didn't think it was really that big of a deal or something along those lines.

I keep on meaning to get The Death of WCW, in fact, fuck it, I've ordered it now, along with Jericho's books. I did see this article called "The WCW Fail Files", like the episode of Thunder that was "New York Street Rules Wrestling"

In fact, speaking of stupid mistakes in wrestling, did you hear the story of Vince forgetting that he fired Jimmy Wang Yang?

The Ready To Rumble thread/mini-episode is just going to be us two talking, isn't it? :D

DON'T CARE!

DILLON_predator.gif

Sign in to follow this