🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 12 An American Tail (and Squeakquels)

My initial joke was going to be that it's "cockroach milk," but then I realized that cockroaches were sentient in this universe.

And electronic calculators, apparently.

• Like 5

Maybe it's cat-milk, and those lion-like cats are just defending themselves?

I am not 100% sure if I watched this as a kid. I feel like maybe I had once, but I definitely don't have nostalgia tied to this movie.

But..maybe this is my first viewing, cause I am sure I would have remembered those cats in the beginning.

They def would have scared / stressed out kid-me

cossack-cats-an-american-tail.jpg?w=612

• Like 6

Also, that baby disappears at some point. Either they're just leaving it at home while they do poor mouse things, or that bottle feeding did not work out. (I did not see any squeals, so no clue if it returns at some point)

Mrs mouse totes ate that baby.

• Like 6

And electronic calculators, apparently.

That was weird. If you were to ask me which type of bug would be good at math, I would have said Lightning Bug. But I guess that's my own prejudice showing.

• Like 7

Also, that baby disappears at some point. Either they're just leaving it at home while they do poor mouse things, or that bottle feeding did not work out. (I did not see any squeals, so no clue if it returns at some point)

Mrs mouse totes ate that baby.

600x600.jpg

Her name is Yasha and she is freatured a little bit more in Fievel goes West where she is starting to take her first baby steps and learning to walk...

Remember that when the family arrives at Ellis Island they say "Mousekewitz: 4" so 2 parents and 2 girls...

Also, Fievel is not on that record, he entered America illegally :o

• Like 7

That was weird. If you were to ask me which type of bug would be good at math, I would have said Lightning Bug. But I guess that's my own prejudice showing.

What about MOTHmetics? LOLOL

• Like 6

What about MOTHmetics? LOLOL

Or calcuLOCUST...hehehe

• Like 5

StatisTICKS?

(Does that count? It's an arachnid...)

• Like 6

Do you think they use the MOTHagorean Theorem?

You know: Aphid2 + Bumble Bee2 = Fleas2

• Like 6

Then if you use the meTICK system you have CENTIPEDEmeters and MILIPEDEmeters

• Like 6

I didn't get to watching this noooooooooo!!

• Like 7

So there were only 4 songs in this, right? I guess 5, if you count the Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor song?

• Like 5

I will say that I appreciated that when Fievel and Tanya sang 'Somewhere Out There' (which I only really remembered from the radio version that plays over the credits), they sounded like a couple of little kids. None of this 'Simba had years of voice training on the Serengeti before he busts into song' shit here.

But yeah, skirting very close to the 'not actually really a musical' line, I'd say... ;)

• Like 3

I will say that I appreciated that when Fievel and Tanya sang 'Somewhere Out There' (which I only really remembered from the radio version that plays over the credits), they sounded like a couple of little kids. None of this 'Simba had years of voice training on the Serengeti before he busts into song' shit here.

But yeah, skirting very close to the 'not actually really a musical' line, I'd say... ;)

Really? I think this is 100% a Musical. 5 songs in a little over an hour is plenty to qualify in my opinion.

• Like 4

I liked the kids singing too. However, I did think maybe they could've worked in some harmonies towards the end.

This was my favorite song from the movie. Then No Cats in America, I guess.*

ETA: "I guess" because although the song was catchy, I would hate a cat-free America.

• Like 5

I liked the kids singing too. However, I did think maybe they could've worked in some harmonies towards the end.

This was my favorite song from the movie. Then No Cats in America, I guess.*

ETA: "I guess" because although the song was catchy, I would hate a cat-free America.

"Somewhere Out There" is definitely the stand out.

I also really liked...

• Like 3

Also in other musical news, Lin-Manuel Miranda was cast in the Ducktales reboot

Speaking of LMM...I saw Hamilton in Chicago on Saturday! I laughed and I ugly-cried. I ugly-cried a lot.

My mom, who isn't terribly into rap and hip-hop, told me that now, it's her favourite musical.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't help it.

• Like 5

Really? I think this is 100% a Musical. 5 songs in a little over an hour is plenty to qualify in my opinion.

Oh, sure, it's definitely a musical, but it could also very easily be the same film with the songs cut entirely. Someone suggested earlier that some of the songs seemed shoehorned in, and I'd agree with that - there were long, vast stretches of no music: it wasn't integral to every scene.

• Like 4

Speaking of LMM...I saw Hamilton in Chicago on Saturday! I laughed and I ugly-cried. I ugly-cried a lot.

My mom, who isn't terribly into rap and hip-hop, told me that now, it's her favourite musical.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't help it.

tenor.gif

• Like 6

Hold up. I was reviewing James Horner's imdb page (the man was a composing machine!) and then I read he passed away in a plane crash. Shit, I didn't know that.

• Like 4

Oh, sure, it's definitely a musical, but it could also very easily be the same film with the songs cut entirely. Someone suggested earlier that some of the songs seemed shoehorned in, and I'd agree with that - there were long, vast stretches of no music: it wasn't integral to every scene.

While not integral to the plot, I definitely thought the added flavor to the 19th Century immigrant experience. "No Cats" shows us idealistic (and unrealistic) hope, "Never Say Never" speaks to the new immigrants' resilience, "Somewhere Out There" is about simple hope after your larger dreams have been dashed away by harsh reality, and "A Duo" is about finding (an unlikely) family in the midst of a melting pot.

I definitely think this movie needed these songs.

• Like 6

Oops, double post. Please accept this gif from my sponsor...

du4u7dg.gif

• Like 7

While not integral to the plot, I definitely thought the added flavor to the 19th Century immigrant experience. "No Cats" shows us idealistic (and unrealistic) hope, "Never Say Never" speaks to the new immigrants resilience, "Somewhere Out There" is about simple hope after your larger dreams have been dashed away by harsh reality, and "A Duo" is about finding (an unlikely) family in the midst of a melting pot.

I definitely think this movie needed these songs.

Oh goodness, yes. Without them it would have been even more depressing, if that's possible.

• Like 5