πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 20 β€” Punisher: War Zone

My favourite episode so farβ€” love hearing from people involved in the making of these "masterpieces". Great to actually (not just perhaps) find an answer to the question "How did this get made?"

Great episode. It was nice to hear people speak about the movie who actually "get it". Its a comic book movie about a guy who murders lots of people, not the godfather. The cast and crew did an amazing job on this film with what they were given to work with. Its beautiful and violent, just the way it should be.

I belong to the GPA Lexi spoke about. She is a terrific person and a great director. We all did our homework on her long before she found us. (Green St is awesome btw) I never heard the Freddie Prince jr thing before, that was interesting. Lexi did her homework when it came to making the movie, she brought the comics to life in a fun way for fans. Unfortunately people had the dark knight on the brain and anything less was just trash. I hope the commercial failure of the film doesnt stop Lexi from getting more work. I hope like the guys said that the movie ends up being a cult classic down the road. Lexi made life long fans out of our group of misfits, and our thank you's will never be enough to repay her. We miss you, stop by and say hi soon.

"Free Lexi bitches"

WOW! I get she's not a fan of these kinds of movies but she did a bang up job! Several times she talks about fans being give the job but that's never a good idea. Its like star trek fans getting to work on the shows, rarely works out, you need some emotional distance to the material to make it work. Now I really want to see Lexi do another movie, and hope she gets the chance.
You gained a fan with this lexi!

If you guys wanna check out more of Lexi's work, you should check out the movie Lifted. It's streaming on Netflix. Also check out Green Street Hooligans. It's got Elijah Wood and that guy from Son's of Anarchy fucking shit up in England.

Had to register an account here just to say that this was a fantastic episode and I'll do whatever I can to make sure everyone I know listens to it and that they make sure everyone they know listens to it.

This was an amazing, amazing episode. Lexi is my new forever champion. Great job, guys.

Wow!
Thank you for introducing me to this incredible flick!
I thought the interview with Lexi was off the charts great; very informative and honest.
My favorite episode so far.

I loved this episode so much! I am also a new Lexi fan and will look into all her past and future work cause she was soooo awesome. thanks guys keep up the good work. I love spending the hour listening to you instead of my boss at work! yummy in my tummy!

Great episode. It was interesting to hear some of the behind the scenes stuff that went on in the development of the Punisher film. Overall I enjoyed War Zone but for me it was a mixed bag. Ray Stevenson was well cast as Frank Castle and I was glad they didn't tone down the violence.

But on the other hand what was the point of the subplot with Julie Benz's widow character? It felt like a ham-fisted attempt to humanize Castle and just distracted from what should have been the the main thrust of the movie - the vendetta between Punisher & Jigsaw. As much as I enjoy Doug Hutchison as an actor his character of "Loony Bin Jim" was completely redundant; you already have a deranged villain in the shape of Jigsaw. LBJ just felt like padding to increase the run time of the movie.

Great episode. I avoid comic book movies but now I must see this one!Β 
I'd love to hear the original score (by Christopher Franke) but I can't find it anywhere. :-(

How Did This Get Made just took a giant leap from the funniest podcast about shitty movies to the Best Podcast about movies. This episode is a landmark in the series. I love it when HDTGM rips into shlock, but talking shop with real film makers is even better. Great job.

This is also my first comment on Earwolf, and I've been listening for a month or two, so that says something because i'm super lazy. I remember seeing the movie and loving everything about it, I hope lexi doesn't feel animosity towards the outcome, considering it's critical reception. It was perfect, every die hard punisher fan thought so. I even have the comic Lexi talked about in the beginning, with the guy holding his balls in the cup. It was one of the MAX marvel titles from the last 10 years or so. Patton was also the perfect guest to have on. Thank you for this free and genius entertainment.

I just listened to this episode today, and I really enjoyed it. I definitely plan on watching this ASAP. I thought it was awesome to hear a director casually, and frankly discuss the film selection process, and the movie making and release process in general.

Superb show.. so insightful into movie making and the studio system.

I have to say without this show i probably wouldn't have come round to seeing this movie for a long time and with hind sight i really don't think i would have enjoyed it as much as i did.. and that's purely due to knowing more about the directors story and approach to making a comicbook adaption. I used this interview much in the way a one-sheet would inform the uninitiated about the movie and the character they are about to see.

I would like to say a huge thank you to Lexi for cutting down the Freerunners so brutally.. you called that scene perfectly for both understanding your audience and breaking with the tiresome established norms.

haha so i recently bought Punisher: War Zone and thought you may love to hear that the first trailer on the dvd is for Crank 2

I've been listening to the archived episodes and I haven't seen this movie, but Lexi Alexander is one of the best guests that I've heard so far. She sounds awesome and I need to look into her work.

I was a fan of the comic from way back, and the Thomas Jane version of the character, so I got this film as soon as it came out on DVD, and absolutely loved it. One of the most OTT films of all time.

Been jumping around the podcasts listening to my favorite bad movies to hear the gang's commentary. This one (about 15 or in or so) is definitely my favorite episode, not for the humor but for the director's commentary and stories about the developement of the movie.

Β 

edit: Green Street Hooligans and this movie are up there in my favorites as well. Lexi does great work.

Sign in to follow this