🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 12 (SaraK's Pick)

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have for us!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

My pick is ---- That Thing You Do!

From the brain of Tom Hanks comes a story about the one hit Wonders. Featuring a song you'll never get out of your head no matter how hard you try.

When I was young, the library let you rent musicals for free (all other movies were one whole dollar to rent), so I rented this about a thousand times the summer the VHS came out. Its literally the first movie I thought of when I saw the Musical Monday threads.

Also NSync sang a cover of that earworm song That Thing You Do! cementing my preteen love for them forever.

• Like 6

Is this a first or did anyone else had their pick at the ready like this before??? ;)

wow-thats-fast-system-mechanic.jpg

I'm looking forward to "That thing you do" I have only seen bits and pieces of it...

• Like 6

Is this a first or did anyone else had their pick at the ready like this before??? ;)/>

wow-thats-fast-system-mechanic.jpg

I'm looking forward to "That thing you do" I have only seen bits and pieces of it...

Ha I'm traveling today so I had to be fast before I lost service! Good thing I'm starting in EST

• Like 5

I love this movie! I bought it on iTunes a couple months ago, but I haven't had a chance to revisit it. Stellar pick!

Also, if I'm not being too forward, where are you going? I'll be going to Florida in a few days myself. I'm looking forward to it :)

• Like 5

I love this movie! I bought it on iTunes a couple months ago, but I haven't had a chance to revisit it. Stellar pick!

Also, if I'm not being too forward, where are you going? I'll be going to Florida in a few days myself. I'm looking forward to it :)/>

I was in Cleveland visiting family over the long weekend, so just driving back home to Chicago! Usually not the best idea to post and drive though :)

• Like 4

I was in Cleveland visiting family over the long weekend, so just driving back home to Chicago! Usually not the best idea to post and drive though :)

Oh, Lord. Be safe. We're really not worth getting in an accident over - although by telling us your pick so early, you did save yourself coming back to about three pages of "impatient" gifs. :)

• Like 5

Yes! Love this pick. We're watching the special edition/directors cut version right?

• Like 7

I'm saddened to admit that I've never seen this movie. So I'm actually very much looking forward to this.

• Like 6

I'm saddened to admit that I've never seen this movie. So I'm actually very much looking forward to this.

You are in for a treat!

• Like 3

Yes! Love this pick. We're watching the special edition/directors cut version right?

I saw it on Starz which I think is the theatrical version but I'd love to find the director cut!

• Like 3

I just saw that the directors cut is 40 minutes longer. That seems like a lot more is added in.

• Like 4

I just saw that the directors cut is 40 minutes longer. That seems like a lot more is added in.

I've never seen the director's cut...are there additional songs or anything? I do think the theatrical cut is damn near perfect, btw.

• Like 4

I've never seen the director's cut...are there additional songs or anything? I do think the theatrical cut is damn near perfect, btw.

Director's cuts are so tricky. Sometimes they improve a movie, some times they simply changes tone, and other times they flat out ruin the movie.

Hopefully somebody here has seen it and can set us straight.

• Like 2

WORTH IT

• Like 5

Director's cuts are so tricky. Sometimes they improve a movie, some times they simply changes tone, and other times they flat out ruin the movie.

Hopefully somebody here has seen it and can set us straight.

WORTH IT

For those of you who are still on the fence about watching the director's cut here is a detailed scene by scene rundown of the extra material included in it

http://www.movie-cen...ort.php?ID=4175

• Like 3

Everyone watch both versions.

WORTH IT

...And get the soundtrack

• Like 2

GREAT movie. It was on my list, not for first round by second or third possibly. I love this movie so much.

• Like 3

I've actually never seen this movie although I remember the titular song being EVERYWHERE in the mid-90s.

I think there was some "Is this actually a musical?" talk about this movie previously (but it also could have been during a big debate my other film nerd friends had earlier this year that started with whether or not The Blues Brothers was a musical). I'm all for it; I'll take this before another Tommy.

• Like 4

I've actually never seen this movie although I remember the titular song being EVERYWHERE in the mid-90s.

I think there was some "Is this actually a musical?" talk about this movie previously (but it also could have been during a big debate my other film nerd friends had earlier this year that started with whether or not The Blues Brothers was a musical). I'm all for it; I'll take this before another Tommy.

I did hesitate before I typed it out because i can't remember if there are many other songs beside "That Thing You Do". But the soundtrack has a lot of original songs on it so I'm hoping it's musical enough. But it was catogized as musical at the library so I figure that was enough authority!

• Like 3

I did hesitate before I typed it out because i can't remember if there are many other songs beside "That Thing You Do". But the soundtrack has a lot of original songs on it so I'm hoping it's musical enough. But it was catogized as musical at the library so I figure that was enough authority!

We talked about it before and IIRC it was judged to be a musical.

• Like 4

We talked about it before and IIRC it was judged to be a musical.

Yes. I remember being very persuasive about the matter. And charming. And witty. And handsome. But mostly persuasive.;)

• Like 8

A few teacher's that I work with know that I have been watching a lot of musicals lately. They asked me today what the latest one I've seen is. I told them that this was the next one I was going to watch. They had seen the movie and enjoyed it and said "They should get back together. I liked their music." As we talked more I gradually came to find out that they thought the movie was a true story.

• Like 7

A few teacher's that I work with know that I have been watching a lot of musicals lately. They asked me today what the latest one I've seen is. I told them that this was the next one I was going to watch. They had seen the movie and enjoyed it and said "They should get back together. I liked their music." As we talked more I gradually came to find out that they thought the movie was a true story.

Must...hold...back...

There WAS a reunion!

Minus Steve Zahn :(

• Like 5