🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MegadethOfSuperman

Technique vs Anecdotes? (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I feel like I might be completely wrong here, but I've become a little disappointed in the fact that since the show has returned, there seems to be less discussion about the films themselves than personal anecdotes. It's not that this isn't interesting (particularly Jake's stories of John Waters), but I haven't heard topics like shots, editing, music, tone, effects, etc. discussed as thoroughly as they were before the show went on hiatus. I'm hoping that there's a way to maybe strike a balance between personal stories and how they relate to the film at hand, and the techniques of the film itself. It seems that Devin's dogmatic attention to the structure of the show was the case for this, but that's just a theory. However, like I said, I may be nitpicking or just flat out wrong. Chime in if you have an opinion of any kind as it relates to this. Love the show, love the guests, love the discussion. God(?) bless Amy Nicholson. I'll listen to the show no matter what happens.

• Like 8

I, too, have really missed this aspect of the show. The Canon is one of those texts--along with Every Frame a Painting and CineFix--that has informed how I watch movies. This is why I really loved the Armond White episode. It's the closest the show has been, since its return, to what makes The Canon so vital. Don't get me wrong--I love The Canon, and always will. I've been listening since the third or fourth episode, and haven't missed a Monday. As a young person who loves film, this podcast has been weirdly, but substantial in its influence on me. Shows change, sure. And by no means isthis iteration suffering. How much that has to do with Devin is difficult to say, but I do miss it nonetheless.

It seems that Devin's dogmatic attention to the structure of the show was the case for this, but that's just a theory.

I think Devin did tend to drive the focus of the discussion towards cinematic and/or storytelling technique, which I appreciated. It may also be that because of the rotating series of guests, it's harder for the discussion to get as in-depth as it did with two professional critics who were more familiar with each other's styles of argument. In older episodes with guests, the guest was often given the opportunity to stay "above the fray" and remain friendly while Devin and Amy went at each other.

It's still an enjoyable show, and could well find more footing as the new iteration goes along.

• Like 5

Fully agreed- I immediately picked this up in the Ghostbusters episode- hoped it would be a one-off but then it appeared it may an Amy thing.

No hate- after all the yellow scarf thing is her thing, but yeah she definitely needs someone to play the 'straight man' to her- it can't all be film criticism based around the love of the 'little things'.

In saying that I can't offer any alternatives as I don't know enough critics who had 'Craft' centred conversations as Devin did.

It may also be that because of the rotating series of guests, it's harder for the discussion to get as in-depth as it did with two professional critics who were more familiar with each other's styles of argument. In older episodes with guests, the guest was often given the opportunity to stay "above the fray" and remain friendly while Devin and Amy went at each other.

I also assumed this was the main factor. The nature of hosting and being pro about it (which I think Amy is) entails being considerate to guests & letting them have their say. Even in the old episodes I think this was noticeably true, and as the trusty co-hosts Devin & Amy could always bounce off each other as necessary.

The great thing about Amy & Devin's dynamic is they're smart, knowledgeable, and opinionated - AND because they're good friends, they're free to call each other out and be as blunt or pointed as necessary, no harm no foul. Understandably it'd be hard to find a guest who checks all those boxes. Maybe Armond White was closest because he doesn't care whose toes he steps on (I mean, he is a professional toe-stepper).

• Like 3

I've only been able to finish one episode this season. It seems that it takes around 20 minutes in each episode before Amy and guest start discussing the movie of the week. Add in the lack of agenda and the constant sidebars and I just start losing interest. If this is the direction the show is going, it's Amy's decision, but it's not for me anymore.

Sign in to follow this