🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shepherd

Live, non-funny, musical guests: I'm not on board.

It’s a worthy experiment, and I appreciate the idea and effort being put into it, but -- it's just not working for me.

I imagine that playing comedy recordings maybe felt a little busy, or maybe after 120+ episodes there might be a bit of a material shortage, but there's just a disconnect that I can't wrap my head around.

Intro, comedy, improv, comedy, improv, the Bangles play a song from 20 years ago, improv, comedy, improv, comedy, that band plays more music that has nothing to do with improv or comedy, improv, comedy, improv, that totally unrelated band plays more stuff. There's a flow issue here.

I kind of dug Matthew Sweet, if only because Matthew Sweet seemed to be super game for some CBB shenanigans.

But on the whole, it's a bit like sitting down for a nice comedy dinner, a four-course fiesta of comedy tacos, and somebody keeps running in and dropping watermelons on the plate. I love watermelons just like I love tacos, but I don't really want to interrupt my delicious chain o' tacos with tangential fruit.

Then again, who the fuck am I, and who cares what I think? Nobody and nobody, respectively. But speaking as nobody, I'd almost rather no music than out-of-left-field live acts.

I like the live acts. Not all of them, of course, because music is subjective, but I do like the concept.

I do get what you're saying about the sudden shift - "let's stop being funny right now and listen to this serious song" - but that can be fixed as Scott gets more experience with that kind of transition (though it's not all that bad anyway). I think it might help if the guest were more involved in the rest of the show, but perhaps musical guests don't want to sit down and try to compete with professional comics at being funny. The best integration of the live acts is when they are used through all or even part of the show (e.g. Yo La Tengo, Don't Stop Or We'll Die), and not just wheeled out for the breaks.

Well said.... I think non-comedy-muso guests every so often would be a great change of pace, but as a regular feature eats into the real estate of actual comedy content. ~15 minutes of live music throughout an episode is ~15 minutes less of classic CBB features.

This is all about Scott giving a big FU to the audience and trying to do something he's not really qualified to do.

Yeah, I guess you can fast-forward, but that's a pain in the ass when I'm listening underwater. And I actually enjoy the musical talents of comedians - there isn't really a shortage of musical bits you can play if you go back a little.

Let me explain it in terms that these Improv people can understand: your non-funny musical guests are a STOPPER.

Well there was always music, its not like its cutting into content

I think it would be fine with live comedy music. Like if Weird Al just sang songs and played his accordion, or Garfunkel & Oates, or Sarah Silverman, or Jon Lajoie, or Tenacious D, or Hard N Phirm, or etc., or Flight Of The Conchords.

No comedy=not funny=wrong show. It's still called Comedy Deat-... er, Comedy Bang Bang, right? It's not called Comedy And Also Indie Bands Deat-... er, Comedy And Also Indie Bands Bang Bang.

"I think I made my point" - anonymous

As with the Sklarboro podcast, I really enjoy some of the live bands that appear. But as is the case with comedians, it's going to be one of those things that will always be hit or miss depending on the band and your personal tastes.

I appreciate the attempt to enrich the show but this one just isn't working. I thought Matthew Sweet with his multiple show derailments would have put a swift end to this idea. Please make it stop.

Agreed. Every once in a while it is a nice change up, but i feel it really kills the rhythm of the show most of the time. It was a nice experiment but i am not a fan of this new format.

Yeah I miss the comedy song breaks, occasionally I'd hear a great comedy song I hadn't heard of before... great for fans of comedy musicians.

I dont enjoy it at all. Makes no sense to me and its just kind of awkward because theres what seem like long periods of the podcast now with no funny at all. If I wanted to listen to a snobby unfunny music podcast I would, and do.

I really enjoy it. I didn't hate the comedy songs but the live, in studio performances have been pretty cool. The only time I thought it was awkward was with Nick Lowe, because it seemed like Nick Lowe had to move into a chair and move back out of it after he was done playing which was weird. But I dig em, and there wasn't one this last week, I'm pretty sure it was just for rock/cocktober.

I loved it. The break of a serious song is kind of like a palette cleanser. Take a break and the comedy can seem fresh. Sometimes by 40 min in of straight comedy, I can get desensitized. I think it would be cooler if the guests got more involved with the cbb craziness, but I really like it. I request more!!

I think we should take the Sarah Silverman approach and "make it a treat." I think it can be very cool as a once-in-a-while thing, but I do get tired of it when it comes week after week.

Also a live performance by Weird Al with his band would be awesome. Whether it's possible or not, I don't know but it would definitely be awesome.

Just to throw in my two cents, I like hearing different non-comedy acts. I personally can't stand the comedy songs, although I realize I'm in the minority on that, probably. I usually just ff through them. But a non-comedy performance is good to break up the flow and provide some variety. Space them out and involve them in the rest of the proceedings, and I'm fully on board.

A non-comedy guest, musical or otherwise, doesn't have to be funny, just entertaining. As long as they're willing to join in I give them credit and enjoy listening. Remember, these are some of the quickest wits in the biz so no one expects them to keep up. Just be yourself and play along.

Here's my issue with the musical acts: what makes CBB so great is Scott's extremely dry sense of humor. The listener never really knows if he is being sincere in anything he says, and usually he's not. But the guests he has on are these musicians he is a big fan of, and suddenly everything he says to them is sincere. It gets rid of the dry, awkward humor. Scott clearly loves music, and has great taste, and I would love a different show in which Scott talked more seriously with musicians (and actors and comedians, even) but it doesn't work for the style of CBB. It's the same issue I have when Scott has guests on who he doesn't know well, and may feel intimidated by. He tries to turn the show into a more straightforward interview show, and the magic of CBB is gone. The best example of this is the Paul Reubens episode. It was an interesting interview, but it wasn't Comedy Bang Bang (or was it still CDR at that point?)

Agreed... Not a fan of these at all... As someone else mentioned, there are other podcasts I listen to for music advice. I come to this one for amazing comedy from some of the best in the business.

Plus, back when they played comedy songs/ parodies, it turned me on to some stuff I wouldve never known about otherwise...

I don't mind the odd non-comedian guest but I agree with playing mostly comedy songs. I'd never heard Steel Panther, Garfunkel and Oates or Henry Phillips before CBB. All that other stuff is fine for another podcast.

Much-later follow-up: I really find it more engaging when the guest is super game and jumps into the show proper with both feet -- AND can keep up. Grant-Lee Philips was an awesome participant throughout the show, which warmed me up a *lot* for the music, and helped everything kind of flow together.

Sign in to follow this