🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenMartinson

Homework: Black Orpheus (1959) vs. City of God (2002)

Good morning! Nick Perkins who? I hardly miss him at all, since having him removed from my portraits.

Next week, we're in for a head-to-head that, above all, seeks to answer the age old question: Why does Amy allow bad things to happen to us? We will be forced into a Sophie's Choice, the likes of which will rival that of The Fly vs. The Thing, or Boogie Nights vs. There Will Be Blood, or E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial vs. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Amy will be joined by Justin Chang from The L.A. Times (full name) to pit Marcel Camus's Black Orpheus against Fernando Meirelles's and Kátia Lund's City of God. Two Brazilian-set works of genius that, depending on how you feel about The Constant Gardener, were more or less one-off masterpieces from their respective filmmakers.

You can find City of God streaming for free on Amazon Prime and Hulu, as well as for rental on YouTube, iTunes, Google Play, and for physical rental via Netflix.

You can find Black Orpheus streaming for free on FilmStruck's Criterion Channel, as well as for rental on Amazon Prime, iTunes, and for physical rental via Netflix.

Go team!!!

• Like 3

When are we getting the Best Of The Year episode (it's probably futile since we all know Moonlight will get in, but come on guys) and the 100th episode bash to remove a film that we were promised? Also if they already recorded the episode for Welcome To The Dollhouse, are we getting that at some point? They can even pretend Devin is the guest that episode.

As for this one, I'm looking forward to it. Not sure it's nearly as stressful as The Fly vs The Thing but should be a good debate regardless

• Like 1

Black Orpheus is canon for the Antonio Carlos Jobim soundtrack alone.

• Like 2

Black Orpheus is also available for rental/purchase on Vudu, but only in standard definition. If you're watching on a small screen though, it's an equitable option.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this