Episode 109 - Raising Arizona (w/ Ira Madison III)

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Should "Raising Arizona" be entered into The Canon? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Should "Raising Arizona" be entered into The Canon?

1. Yes (53 votes [80.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.30%

2. No (13 votes [19.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 atchesonate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

This was my first Coens movie, saw it in the 80s, loved it, my dad loved it, it was a whole household thing, and yet I agree with Ira - we can't put every Coens movie in there, and this isn't as good as at least 50% of them. I rewatched it about 10 years ago and thought it didn't hold up as well as I expected it to.

I'm not a huge Coens fan in general. I actively hate O BROTHER, I didn't like HAIL, CAESAR, I think BLOOD SIMPLE is solid but overvalued, I don't get BIG LEBOWSKI at all, but when they work (BURN AFTER READING, A SERIOUS MAN, and a few others) they are perfect. RAISING ARIZONA is in the upper-middle, but not worthy of the Canon.

#22 davhahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

"Her womb was a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase." is probably my favorite comedic line in any script I've ever read/seen. And the shot of the camera zooming over the car, through the yard and up the ladder into Mrs. Arizona's screaming mouth is one of the greatest shots ever. For those two things alone this movie is Canon-worthy, but there is so much more. The script is so quotable ("I don't know... Yoda's and shit!"), the set pieces are nuts at times, but still grounded in character, the score is iconic (the music queue to the yodel at the main title makes me smile every time I see it) and although everyone is somewhat despicable I still appreciate the hopefulness at the end rather than the nihilism of something like Burn After Reading (which I do enjoy).

#23 MODOKbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

For how much I love both Amy and Ira's writing, and this movie, I was surprised that the combination led to a dissenting argument that was mostly 'I see why others like it but I'm just not into it.' Still cool hearing two voices I like talk about Raising Arizona for an hour, but it seems like it's been a while since the show attempted a really thorough critique of some sacred cow. Kind of miss it, even the ones going after movies I love!

Anyway, I'm definitely voting yes. Raising Arizona feels in the lineage of a Duck Soup or Bringing Up Baby, as relentless and inventive in its screwball antics for 1987 as those were in their day. I also love how linked it is to previous Canon-inductee Evil Dead 2.. released the same year, they seem like they're in competition for crazy camera setups (Raising Arizona even seems to homage Evil Dead with that racing-over-the-ground POV tracking shot) and I recently found out that the Coens, Holly Hunter, Frances McDormand and Sam Raimi all lived together for a time leading up to these films, which just sounds like the coolest incubator of cinematic excitement ever.

#24 Tambe257

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

If we're only allowed to pick one Coen comedy, then it's got to be Lebowski. Since that's not the case, 100% Raising Arizona should be in. I think of The Canon more as "The 1,000 films to see before you die". With that idea in mind I'd put 6-8 of them in!

Every time Amy's dislike of Goodfellas gets brought up my blood pressure rises. :)

#25 AmandaNumbraOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS!! :wub: :wub: Not mad at Ira Madison III for that. I'd also put Jesus' Son in the running for the best Holly Hunter role.