🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics - Live "Posting" Group

Hello Everyone!

We've been discussing trying to coordinate a movie watching/live posting group on a semi-regular basis. Considering we are all spread across the globe, we thought it might be a cool way for us to "watch a movie together." So this is an open invitation to anyone who might be interested in joining us.

I think the idea, as of right now, is to call it HDTGM Classics.

Like many of you, I wasn't fortunate enough to discover HDTGM until around the first Howdies, and while there were a number of movies I had already seen prior to discovering the podcast, there were/are still quite a few that I haven't seen (My Letterboxd List currently has me at 116). Basically, this would be an opportunity to fill in those gaps, socialize with friendly like-minded individuals, and save you the anguish of trying to watch any of these turd muffins alone.

However, before we can really get this thing going, we need to get an idea of how many people are interested and where they're at geographically. For example, Cam Bert lives in Japan and I live in the EST of the US. So Friday night for me is Saturday morning for him. I think that's a pretty good jumping off point, though. So I was thinking maybe 10PM EST on a Friday TBD?

How does that sound?

Once we get a feel for the people interested, we can then discuss which movies (probably from a vote and pool of five or so choices) and how to access them. I think it will probably end up being every person for themselves to get a hold of a copy and then we just synch up when we're ready to go.

If anyone's interested, please let me know!

• Like 5

I'm interested for sure.

Basically I'm 13 hours behind EST. As I work a Monday to Friday job my free time would be your Friday night until your Sunday morning. As long as I have some notice I can make time on the weekends.

Even though I've been listening since the very start I didn't think it was necessary to watch along with the show until around Sharknado. I'm very down with the early movies people may have missed.

• Like 3

I'm interested - I think I started listening at From Justin to Kelly?

I'm CST, so I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever.

• Like 3

I'm definitely down with the idea. I'd say we should give at least a week's notice before we watch a movie. Or if we're going to do it monthly, either announce the date when we pick the movie OR always do it on, say, the third Friday of the month or something. That would make it much easier for me to make sure I don't have plans on a particular Friday night.

But I definitely love the idea of going back and watching old HDTGM movies and getting a chance to discuss them with you guys.

• Like 4

I won't be available for any sort of live movie watching -- I get my HDTGM movies in short bursts throughout the week -- but I'll look forward to you all discussing them.

• Like 2

I'm also CST (the superior timezone lbr) and I have a way that we can all watch a movie together regardless of country limitations as well if we prefer to do a legit stream! We'll still be posting here, but I know the fact that not everyone has the same streaming devices (and that some streaming services are not available outside the US) so this can be a good way to make sure everyone can watch together!

• Like 5

I'm also CST (the superior timezone lbr) and I have a way that we can all watch a movie together regardless of country limitations as well if we prefer to do a legit stream! We'll still be posting here, but I know the fact that not everyone has the same streaming devices (and that some streaming services are not available outside the US) so this can be a good way to make sure everyone can watch together!

Sounds good!

So, how do we pick the movie? Are we going to start from ep #1, Burlesque?

• Like 2

So, how do we pick the movie? Are we going to start from ep #1, Burlesque?

Well, that's up for discussion and I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. I think it would be easiest to just start with Episode 1 and go from there (Burlesque is definitely one I haven't seen yet). The problem I have with that is if we only do this once a month, if would take us over 16 years to go through the catalog. So, I think we're all going to want to cut some corners when and where we can. For instance, if we've all already seen The Last Airbender we might want to go ahead and skip it.

What I would propose, once we have a firm number of participants, is take a vote based on the chronology of the show. For example, on the first of the month, we'll start a thread (or a poll if possible) and ask "Burlesque?" If the majority of us haven't seen it, we do that one; otherwise, we move to the next one. I also think the vote should be based on "Have you seen it" and not "Do you want to see it." However, this isn't to say there can't be exceptions (e.g. We've all seen Sleepaway Camp, but let's do it anyway.)

Or....

We can just watch every movie. Whatever - lol :)

• Like 1

Well, I never watched Burlesque so I'm more than fine starting there.

• Like 2

I have also not seen Burlesque, but I have almost rented it multiple times. I'm in favor of starting there. Also, this will give me inspiration to go back and listen to the early eps again.

• Like 2

I have also not seen Burlesque, but I have almost rented it multiple times. I'm in favor of starting there. Also, this will give me inspiration to go back and listen to the early eps again.

It has 4.5 stars on Amazon right now! I almost bought a gently used copy last night.

• Like 2

If we could coincide with past episodes in front of the paywall, that would be great too. Burlesque is up there now!

• Like 3

Yeah, let's just start from Burlesque and go from there!

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll be out for the next couple of days. I left the key under the mat. Please don't forget to pick up the mail.

• Like 3

Yeah, let's just start from Burlesque and go from there!

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll be out for the next couple of days. I left the key under the mat. Please don't forget to pick up the mail.

Guys... I think he's gone. Hit it!

lets-party-gif.gif

• Like 6

I'm down :)

Only recently I've tried to keep up with watching all the movies they go over. When I first started the podcast I listened to eps of movies I had seen, then started listening to everything from the beginning. Since the eps are still enjoyable without seeing the movies. I thought it'd be too much to try to watch everything.

So there's plenty I have not watched, so any movie we'd cover is cool with me!

I have seen Burlesque, watched a few months ago.

I'm down to rewatch probably or at least discuss with you guys.

and being in AZ, I probably should not have issues with the time.

• Like 3

This is a really cool idea. I'm CST I usually don't work on Friday evenings so I hope we can do it.

I also have not watched Burlesque.

• Like 1

Guys... I think he's gone. Hit it!

lets-party-gif.gif

Okay, I'm back! Oh...

tenor.gif

So, I think we're all agreed that we start from burlesque. I like the idea of the community screening thing to be at least available the community even if some people want to rent it independently. Since it's going to be at a set time, there shouldn't be too much trouble syncing that up.

Tom and Taylor, I believe you guys were looking into different services, did you guys settle on one? Is this something where we can rotate who is hosting the video? I don't want to end up in a situation where the same person is coming out of pocket all the time. Also, if someone already owns a particular movie, that helps too.

I think the only other thing to nail down is when you guys want to do this? Any suggestions? Are we ready this week or is that too short of notice?

• Like 4

I don't know how accessible this app is outside of the US, but I just noticed this weekend that the Freeform app has Burlesque as one of its free movies to stream. Probably not the best solution - but a free option if people are worried about it.

Just a option! And yes, I was watching Pretty Little Liars.

large.gif

• Like 6

Tom and Taylor, I believe you guys were looking into different services, did you guys settle on one? Is this something where we can rotate who is hosting the video? I don't want to end up in a situation where the same person is coming out of pocket all the time. Also, if someone already owns a particular movie, that helps too.

I think the only other thing to nail down is when you guys want to do this? Any suggestions? Are we ready this week or is that too short of notice?

Having "seen" 2 services, I prefer rabb.it. My IRL friends and I had a virtual movie night and it was a lot of fun. I would be more than happy to host Burlesque unless someone else wants to or owns a digital copy of it already.

This week is fine with me!

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this