🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Henry

Supernova (2000)

I saw this in the theater, and laughed out loud several times. It is truly awful. As I recall, there were a slew of terrible horror/scifi stuff that came out around the same time.

• Like 1

Fun fact about this movie: The credited director, Thomas Lee, doesn't exist.

This was originally directed by Walter Hill (maker of "48 Hrs.," "Red Heat" and "Bullet to the Head"), but was shelved for a long while. During that time, the director of "A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge" (AKA the single most homoerotic horror movie to get a mainstream release) did reshoots and Francis Ford Coppola re-edited the movie, apparently still weaning himself from taking on projects to pay off "One from the Heart." According to an unsourced claim on Wikipedia, people believe little of Hill's work is left in the film.

The end result displeased Walter Hill, and he would've used the Director's Guild's pseudonym Alan Smithee, except that this was happening after "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn," and they had abandoned the name, likely because it couldn't be taken seriously after being involved with a Joe Eszterhas movie. Thusly, this is the first movie to have a pseudonymous director not credited as Alan Smithee.

Jeez, that took a while to write. And man, there are a lot of HDTGM-worthy movies I mentioned up there.

• Like 6

When I started to watch it, I felt like I stepped into it, like it was missing several hours. The Direction in this movie, and I will not exaggerate in any way, is the worst direction I have ever seen in my life. The direction is garbage, the direction is garbage, and guys, THE DIRECTION IS GARBAGE

Add in an oddly sexual subplot between one of the crew members and the Ship's Computer, and that Angela Bassett is in this movie, it would be amazing to review

• Like 1

Fun fact about this movie: The credited director, Thomas Lee, doesn't exist.

This was originally directed by Walter Hill (maker of "48 Hrs.," "Red Heat" and "Bullet to the Head"), but was shelved for a long while. During that time, the director of "A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge" (AKA the single most homoerotic horror movie to get a mainstream release) did reshoots and Francis Ford Coppola re-edited the movie, apparently still weaning himself from taking on projects to pay off "One from the Heart." According to an unsourced claim on Wikipedia, people believe little of Hill's work is left in the film.

The end result displeased Walter Hill, and he would've used the Director's Guild's pseudonym Alan Smithee, except that this was happening after "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn," and they had abandoned the name, likely because it couldn't be taken seriously after being involved with a Joe Eszterhas movie. Thusly, this is the first movie to have a pseudonymous director not credited as Alan Smithee.

Jeez, that took a while to write. And man, there are a lot of HDTGM-worthy movies I mentioned up there.

Didn't this keep getting swapped from director to director at first? I thought it went past like 8 guys.

I'll have to see if I can find my Fangoria that goes into great detail of just how many directors and how many cuts of the film there are. They could make a whole franchise with all the unused footage. The little movie that couldn't...

I just saw this on Best Buy's $4.99 deals this morning, and I was reminded of how cuckoo bananas it is. The gang really should take this one on.

I thought this was silly (especially the computer that gave attitude about it not having the capacity to have attitude), but didn't hate this movie. That said, it would make a good movie for the podcast.

I was maybe just into my middle school years when this came out into theaters. Consequentially, my movie interest was dictated by one thing: how many explosions were in the movie trailer.

I remember begging my dad to take me to this. He has/had terrible taste in movies, but even he could tell this was a piece of crap. But he relented, and we went. And all I can remember about this experience was how bored I was waiting for that fucking explosion from the trailer, then how disappointed I was when it got there, and how much shame I felt for inflicting this movie upon another mortal soul.

This was the first film I can ever remember feeling bad—like I had to make up lost time—for making someone else watch.

Sign in to follow this