🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 126 — Suicide is Painless

The leaves are falling, there is a chill in the air, the kids are at school so it's time to curl up with a brand new Comedy Bang Bang. Our guests are the always charming Jon Hamm, the hugely influential Nick Lowe, and Garry Marshall. Jon teases the next season of Mad Men, Nick plays some incredible tracks off his new album The Old Magic, and Garry Marshall does the whole Garry Marshall thing. You get an Autumn Rap, a laugh-filled Would You Rather, and an excellent round of plugs that will no doubt lead you to some sexy discoveries. So throw on a cardigan, grab a pumpkin spice latte, and relax to a perfect fall podcast. And hey, if that's not enough for you, visit Earwolf.com for bonus interview content from Nick Lowe! Perfect for pumpkin carving and apple cider drinking!

how are you doing this? how am i supposed to pick a favorite episode if you keep topping yourself?

• Like 1

I wasn't one of the people complaining earlier about the live musical guests, but there was definitely something a bit off-kilter about this episode. The editing between Mr Lowe's segments and the show proper was a little jarring, and everyone seemed a little uncomfortable throughout the whole thing. It's understandable that Scott having to juggle these disparate pieces for the entire show would maybe create a little awkwardness, but it seemed to even throw Paul F Tompkins off his game a little.
I can't believe I'm actually complaining about an episode with PFT AND Jon Hamm, but unfortunately it seems I have just done so. Still, for what it's worth, this was by no means a bad show or anything; it just wasn't the home run that the guest list would suggest. I think it will be a good thing when CBB returns to its classic, more-relaxed format in the coming weeks.
EDIT: Having just re-listened to the episode, I've decided that 5:00 AM was probably not the best time to be analyzing comedy podcasts. I was definitely too harsh in my judgement; there is a LOT to like about this episode, and the transitions from guests to musician probably wouldn't be jarring at all to someone who wasn't previously aware that the segments were taped separately. In short, you guys are great and I'm a dumb liar.

Jon Hamm and I have the same initials. Coincidence?! I think not!

• Like 1

I'm not sure anything in the world will ever make me as happy as the Suicide is Painless laugh trio during this WYR.

Oh, I haven't even started to listen to this, and already I know I'm in for a delightful treat.

God bless Paul F Tompkins for the way he started his rap. PFT and Jon Hamm are the two greatest, most consistent guests on any podcast.

I'm in England and don't know anything, but OH MY GOD Jon Hamm from Comedy Bang Bang is secretly Don Draper from Mad Men??

The free style rap always make me laugh. Also, this has to be the best dressed podcast episode of 2011
Dick York is a rap star!

John Hamm is like ginger ale, he makes everything feel better somehow. PFT and Scott were also hilarious as always.

• Like 1

Recently bought tickets to see Wilco in December, and Nick Lowe will be opening. He's invading my life!!!

Brutal! I just wanted to listen to this week's show to brighten a horrifying weekend of Philadelphia sports, and it's co-hosted by a Cardinals fan in an episode titled "Suicide is Painless". Burn in hell, Hamm! On a side note, I can't wait till March to watch the next season of Mad Men.

PFT and Nick Lowe--two of my favorite entertainers. I haven't listened yet, but I really hope the make out! If they don't, you can expect to receive some of my fan fiction soon.

This episode was such a treat! I was grinning so much that a man on my tram thought I was making eyes at him, and… awkwardness. BUT JOY! I love you CBB!

I can't believe how willing to embarrass himself Scott is by doing this new freestyling segment. I love it. Very brave.

Jay Jay FTW - hilarious!

What a great episode. Garry Marshall is such a great character. I can't wait to see "Thursday".

Also I love how there are so many call backs in the CDR/CBB canon. I don't know how Scott keeps them straight.

Jon's "have you ever flied LaughDanza Airlines?" was absolutely gorgeous and didn't get the reaction I felt it deserved. Please go back in time and correct this, Mr. Gary.

I believe the word is "antepenultimate."

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this