Episode 499 - The Freak

21 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

SNL’s Kyle Mooney joins Scott as well as Benny and Barrett Bachelor aka The Bachelor Brothers on this week’s Comedy Bang! Bang!, babe. They talk about Kyle’s new movie Brigsby Bear, The Bachelor Bros.’ new musical acts, and Kyle’s dream SNL cast. Then, young girl Rosie Jipps appears to tell us about her dreams of traveling the world and owning her own franchise with her mom. Plus, local high schooler Chris Fitzpatrick stops by to play a song he wrote for his summer school creative writing class. You don’t want to miss this episode, babe.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 The Spider-Gentleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

Wellll...i enjoyed Rosie and The Bachelor Brothers, son. It really has been a while. I wonder what Scott has in store for #500.

#3 angryrose

Mama Pizza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCandyland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

Joker on the top, Trump on the bottom.

#4 BertramCooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

One of those rare episodes where the featured guest seems perplexed by the show's shtick, and the resulting awkwardness is palpable.

And you're not sure if the guest DOES get it and is just doing a bit, or if it's genuine bewilderment.

#5 StanSitwell

Alpaca

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:07 AM

View PostBertramCooper, on 17 July 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

One of those rare episodes where the featured guest seems perplexed by the show's shtick, and the resulting awkwardness is palpable.

And you're not sure if the guest DOES get it and is just doing a bit, or if it's genuine bewilderment.

Wow, well now I'm motivated to finish up last week's bonus ep and get to this. Ever since I saw young Kyle Mooney as Norm MacDonald's frazzled nephew on his Sports Show, I knew he would be big. Since I've seen Kyle do a whole lot of irreverent counter-comedy type of thing and he seems to be buds with Bibby Moynihan, I'm going to assume he knew what was going on, but I'm very intrigued

#6 Royboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:17 AM

There was a point before the first break where I started to think it was a bit, but the further things went along, it became clearer he had no idea what was going on. It's so weird. There's got to be a story behind this.

I think the saving grace was having the others around. Best part was when Paul tried throwing Fran off her game.

#7 koyamama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Yes... actually Kyle really annoyed me. He seemed to be taking everything very seriously and wouldn't play along with the jokes.

#8 mikethehuman

Even More Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationFlyover, Wisconsin

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

cant believe this show got cancelled just short of the 500th anniversary

#9 AlienDingus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

knowing kyle... he completely understands what is going on. and its hilarious

#10 smileysmile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

Kyle is doing one of his characters from his sketch group Good Neighbors here. He definitely gets it. Fucking nailed it.

#11 Joe F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Great ep! Everyone crushed it!

#12 Poika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that Kyle's in on the joke.

#13 kyleidoscope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

Holy moly.

#14 maple stirrup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationYeonggwang-gun, South Korea

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

I genuinely cannot come to a decision as to whether Kyle was in on the joke or not

#15 Human

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Kyle was on the CBB TV show in 2014

Interpret that information however you like

#16 Yeti Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

I wasn't really into the Rosy Gyps character at first, even though Scott was fulfilling his obligation to talk to interesting people. However, once I realize the near perfect duplication of Gypsy Rose from the HBO documentary that I stumbled into last month, it scratched my itch quite a bit more.

'Mommy Dead and Dearest' Doc: What We Learned - Rolling Stone

#17 Royboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

View Postkoyamama, on 17 July 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Yes... actually Kyle really annoyed me. He seemed to be taking everything very seriously and wouldn't play along with the jokes.

Something about that just reminded me of the ep a couple years back with Paul Brittain and Jimmy Pardo that had a similar issue.

#18 MattManz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Such a fun show. Everyone hit their marks. I intended to listen to this as I was going to sleep but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't. "Daddy had to slap me!"

#19 veganlobster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

As many have said, it was tough to discern if Kyle was in on the joke. I'm pretty familiar with his comedy so it was hard for me to believe he wasn't. I suppose though, he could still be playing along but also still be perplexed by things like questions about the call sheet, being above the title, and Scott's other trademark "insider" talk. Paul Rust's giggling seemed to acknowledge Kyle's bewilderment.

#20 StanSitwell

Alpaca

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 AM

So does everyone also think Kyle was accidentally playing a character at the end? How could he both play a character and not understand the gist of the show?