🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 16 - Krush Groove (1985)

"I don't understand, Mr. Sbarro. Most people would kill for this kind of product placement..."

We watched:

krush.jpeg

• Like 5

I present the worst and some how best scene in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGeLouMm6s

As someone who is more grossed out by seeing other people eat than anything in film, this scene is FUCKING BONKERS. Not only gross, but it also suggests that Sbarro also carries fresh baked baked, artisan cheese, and dry aged salami? As an Italian, I find that offesive! Fuck you, Fat Boyz! It would be harder to love you... if it weren't for your rhymes as fresh as that bread you are CLEARLY stealing from that shopowner somehow leftover from a movie about 1910s New York.

• Like 7

After I watch a musical sure enough one sure enough one of the songs will ring in my head throughout the following days. Sadly the one that hooked me was "All You Can Eat." While I agree it's disgusting especially seeing their food stained clothing afterwards yet the song has stuck with me.

Now after I watched the movie I wondered if the Sbarro buffet was still $3.99. Well, based on a little digging the pricing I found was around $9 and with inflation what is $3.99 these days? Why $9.02.

• Like 4

After I watch a musical sure enough one sure enough one of the songs will ring in my head throughout the following days. Sadly the one that hooked me was "All You Can Eat." While I agree it's disgusting especially seeing their food stained clothing afterwards yet the song has stuck with me.

Now after I watched the movie I wondered if the Sbarro buffet was still $3.99. Well, based on a little digging the pricing I found was around $9 and with inflation what is $3.99 these days? Why $9.02.

1888fy.jpg

• Like 6

I present the worst and some how best scene in the movie.

Man, I thought the scene where Prince Markie Dee was looking up that girl's skirt was the worst.

But at least he got a cup full of ice dumped on his head.

• Like 4

What shocked me was just how willing Run was to let himself be cast as the asshole. I get that it's kind of a "true" story, but still, between him and Russell, as the artist, Run had more of an image to protect. So while I thought his character was a real shit head, I respect him for being willing to play that part.

• Like 5

I've only watched an hour of the movie, and I haven't seen seen the Sbarro scene yet, but I felt physically ill when the Fat Boyz were in science class, dissecting fetal pigs, and one of the boys starts roasting one. Those preserved fetal pigs smell rank and to think this kid is so hungry that he would start cooking one made me want to hurl. Like typing this out is triggering my salivary glands for puking.

• Like 5

I've only watched an hour of the movie, and I haven't seen seen the Sbarro scene yet, but I felt physically ill when the Fat Boyz were in science class, dissecting fetal pigs, and one of the boys starts roasting one. Those preserved fetal pigs smell rank and to think this kid is so hungry that he would start cooking one made me want to hurl. Like typing this out is triggering my salivary glands for puking.

I just couldn't believe we were supposed to buy that The Fat Boys were in High School.

Also, the Sbarro scene is worse :)

• Like 4

What shocked me was just how willing Run was to let himself be cast as the asshole. I get that it's kind of a "true" story, but still, between him and Russell, as the artist, Run had more of an image to protect. So while I thought his character was a real shit head, I respect him for being willing to play that part.

Agreed. I didn't understand why every other performer used their real/stage names but Russell Simmons became Russell Walker. Was it because a different actor was playing him and everyone else played themselves? It wasn't even an established actor they brought in. This was Blair Underwood's first film.

• Like 4

I just couldn't believe we were supposed to buy that The Fat Boyz were in High School.

Also, the Sbarro scene is worse :)

I was creeped out by Markie Dee hitting on that young girl.

• Like 3

I just couldn't believe we were supposed to buy that The Fat Boyz were in High School.

Hold on to your hat because in 1985:

Prince Markie Dee was 17

Buff Love was 18

Kool Rock Ski was 19

But wait!

Run and DMC were 21

Jam Master Jay was 20

MCA was 21

Mike D was 20

Ad-Rock was 19

Rick Rubin was 22

Kurtis Blow was 26

Sheila E was 28

Based on that, the most unbelievable aspect of this movie is Sheila E having a romantic relationship with 21 year old Blair Underwood (to be fair, Russell Simmons was 28 at the time).

• Like 5

Ok so I ran out of time this weekend and was going to catch up tonight. I think after this, I'm going to pass this week. Gross.

• Like 3

Prince Markie Dee was 17

Buff Love was 18

Kool Rock Ski was 19

Wait the Fat Boyz were actually fresh out of high school? That's crazy. I thought it was so odd they were trying to pass them off as high school kids when I guess it was not that far off.

• Like 3

Since we're talking about the Fat Boys, why were they featured so prominently in the movie?

They were not signed to Def Jam, and they weren't stars. In fact, the movie is what made them stars. So why did they get more screen time than Kurtis Blow and Run DMC, arguably the biggest stars in hip hop at the time? Apparently their manager had already secured the deal for Disorderlies, so they got extra screen time for promotion.

• Like 3

Prince Markie Dee was 17

Buff Love was 18

Kool Rock Ski was 19

But wait!

Run and DMC were 21

Jam Master Jay was 20

MCA was 21

Mike D was 20

Ad-Rock was 19

Rick Rubin was 22

Kurtis Blow was 26

Sheila E was 28

Based on that, the most unbelievable aspect of this movie is Sheila E having a romantic relationship with 21 year old Blair Underwood (to be fair, Russell Simmons was 28 at the time).

This raises my largest issue with the movie's existence. What was the timeline in reality? Supposedly Rick Rubin started Def Jam records in 1984, the year before this movie! Yet the movie is supposed to be about Russell Simmons and all the success Def Jam had? According to Def Jam's Wikipedia page Rick Rubin wanted to work with Russell because "He was five years older than me, and he was already established in the music business. And I had no experience whatsoever." Huh? Why doesn't the movie show any of that instead of portraying Russell as a clueless hustler?

• Like 4

Since we're talking about the Fat Boys, why were they featured so prominently in the movie?

They were not signed to Def Jam, and they weren't stars. In fact, the movie is what made them stars. So why did they get more screen time than Kurtis Blow and Run DMC, arguably the biggest stars in hip hop at the time? Apparently their manager had already secured the deal for Disorderlies, so they got extra screen time for promotion.

The Krush Groove director also directed Disorderlies. Not sure what to make of that.

• Like 4

Ok so I ran out of time this weekend and was going to catch up tonight. I think after this, I'm going to pass this week. Gross.

You're gonna want to stay away from the YT clip above as well.

• Like 5

You're gonna want to stay away from the YT clip above as well.

"Hey, guys, we're in New York City: home to some of the best pizza in the world. Let's go to Sbarro!"

• Like 6

Okay Michael Scott

I had to look up who that was... :unsure: