🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-week 16 (Fister Roboto's 2nd Pick)

Well, this seems like destiny to me because this is the third unconnected peer group that has recently suggested I read/watch a Dark Mermaid Story... and my brother is always eager for whatever "weird Polish movies" I can suggest. Awesome. Let's do this.

giphy.gif

(I feel like I could explain the above facts but I think I prefer them without context.)

• Like 6

Well, this seems like destiny to me because this is the third unconnected peer group that has recently suggested I read/watch a Dark Mermaid Story... and my brother is always eager for whatever "weird Polish movies" I can suggest. Awesome. Let's do this.

(I feel like I could explain the above facts but I think I prefer them without context.)

I kinda want to know the story behind the "weird Polish movies."

• Like 7

He had me at man-eating mermaids!

You had me at Polish. Lets do this.

• Like 6

You had me at Polish. Lets do this.

I kind of like the original Polish title Córki dancingu. Tradukku has it as "Daughter of Dancing". Not sure if that clarifies the plot or obscures it further.

• Like 2

Interesting pick, Fister. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Has anyone here listened to Off Book yet? I was just scrolling through the forums and saw it. Looks like it might be really fun.

• Like 3

Has anyone here listened to Off Book yet? I was just scrolling through the forums and saw it. Looks like it might be really fun.

Not yet, but I'm subscribed. I'm especially impressed to see PFT in the first ep since he's famously self-referenced himself as 'terrible at' improvised music and lyrics in the past. Very pleased that he's confronting his weaknesses, few though they may be.

• Like 4

I have not, but will have to check out soon. Thanks! it wasn't on my radar.

Lately, I've been listening to old Doug Loves Movies eps since it's on Howl now :)

• Like 3

Good find!

Think Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber makes an appearance?

• Like 3

Oh, I hope so!

• Like 1

Good find!

What a question to ask, Tomathan!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

I hadn't hear of it yet, but I'm 100% on board, especially because I see that Episode 2 just came out and has Mary Holland. Now I'm torn if I should listen to that or the PFT ep first!

Not yet, but I'm subscribed. I'm especially impressed to see PFT in the first ep since he's famously self-referenced himself as 'terrible at' improvised music and lyrics in the past. Very pleased that he's confronting his weaknesses, few though they may be.

Yeah, but he's always done pretty decent when they've done improvised songs on Spontaneanation. It's not as strong as his non-musical improv, but it's definitely better than I could ever do (which, to be fair, is a low bar to clear).

• Like 4

Okay. So...I've had a lot of time to think about this one, and I thought I had it nailed down for a while. But then a movie became available to rent on Amazon, and I had to call an audible. My whole goal in making my next pick was to choose a movie that was unlike anything we've done before.

I'm going to give a warning that this movie is probably not for everyone. It's a weird high-concept movie, and even among my small group of friends who usually like most of the same stuff, there's a lot of disagreement. While I personally LOVE this movie, I think it might be quite divisive. But I'm hoping it will give us some good conversation.

Anyway, without further ado, my pick is...

Lure_poster_900-820x1200.jpg

The Lure is a movie I saw at a festival last year, and I totally fell in love with it. It's our first foreign language musical, so turn on them subtitles :) Basically, it's a Polish musical about two man-eating mermaids who become lounge singers.

jUBTuN8.gif

(But I hope not)

OMG This was one of my I-kinda-want-to-pick-this-next movies. Cool!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

OMG This was one of my I-kinda-want-to-pick-this-next movies. Cool!

giphy.gif

Yay! I'm so pumped that there's another (potential) Lure fan in here! I've honestly been worried that I would be the only person that would love this movie and that it would turn into a bashfest (although less-than-positive criticisms are totally welcome; I'm just paranoid about things like this).

---

Side note: I listened to the PFT episode of Off Book, and I thought it was hilarious. I mean, it helps that there's a

Fast and Furious

subplot. But I still enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to hear what Mary Holland has in store for my ears!

• Like 5

I don't remember which thread we talked about the Friday the 13th movies, and how I liked Betsy Palmer, so I'll post this here.

Never mind. I need to work out how to start hosting images somewhere.

• Like 2

I don't remember which thread we talked about the Friday the 13th movies, and how I liked Betsy Palmer, so I'll post this here.

I have an imgur account, I find that a pretty good place to stash all my junk.

• Like 2

I have an imgur account, I find that a pretty good place to stash all my junk.

Thanks. I signed up. This will be a good test.

v7w3OeN.jpg

• Like 3

Side note: I listened to the PFT episode of Off Book, and I thought it was hilarious. I mean, it helps that there's a

Fast and Furious

subplot. But I still enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to hear what Mary Holland has in store for my ears!

So.. I totally listened to both eps yesterday, and I loved it. Both the PFT and Mary Holland eps were great!

One of the songs in ep 2 had me dying laughing on the drive home from work.

I need more.

• Like 5

So.. I totally listened to both eps yesterday, and I loved it. Both the PFT and Mary Holland eps were great!

I need more.

It's really nice to be able to get in on the ground floor of one of these podcasts: I've spent forever trying to catch up on Spontaneanation and Comedy Bang! Bang! (I'm 80 episodes behind on Spont and about 20 behind on CBB) so to find this one early is very good news.

• Like 3

I need more.

Was it the one with the farts?

I keep humming dang dang dang, dang dang dang dang, dang dang dang you know.

• Like 2

The Gunter/Dieter song is the one that had me laughing the hardest.

I was so confused at the beginning because of Zach using the wrong name, and then when Jessica called it out, I was all but crying with laughter. I also think Mary is so brilliant in little moments in this. Like when Jessica is playing the girl that wants to be discovered at the mall, and she tells her mom, and she just goes, "WHAT? Oh, Jesus Christ. I don't even know where to start."

Anyway, this show is definitely getting thrown into my normal rotation.

• Like 3

How did you know I can't help but laugh at farts? ...you really get me.

I was laughing a lot listening to this ep (PFT's too). But it was the Wetzel's Pretzels song that tickled me the most, I think. lol

wetzel's pretzels.. they're amazing

• Like 5

Fister, you better be online on Monday because i have A LOT of questions.

• Like 7

*turns off television*

*sits in silence a bit*

*opens laptop*

*raises hand*

Yeah, me too. Me too.

• Like 6

tenor.gif

• Like 5