🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Ep. 1 Shrugging Destiny (w/ Paul F. Tompkins)

In the premiere episode of OFF BOOK: The Improvised Musical, Jessica McKenna and Zach Reino welcome guest Paul F. Tompkins to the stage in the brand new musical "SHRUGGING DESTINY". With the sure-to-be classic songs "Put Yourself First", "No One Wants To Eat At Chipotle", "Dang Dang Dang", and more, you'll be listening to this show over and over again.

• Like 2

I LOVED this! It came at a perfect time because I have been really recently discovering all of Zach and Jess' videos on youtube and i was on the lookout for more from them. They are are so funny and having PFT on the opening ep is perfect.

Everything was funny and all three were charming. My favourite was "Dang Y'Know Dang Dang Y'Know" but it was all so good.

• Like 6

Well said, a musical podcast was way overdue after the RaffleCast hiatus. You can tell how challenging it is when you hear weathered veterans like PFT and Holland being daunted by it.

The singing duo is a revelation, but that pianist is plainly ill.

• Like 6

it's insane how talented these guys are.

this has to be the all time strongest debut ep in podcasting.

• Like 9

As soon as I saw the announcement/heard the teaser last week, I was giddy with anticipation. Jessica McKenna has been a standout for me on CBB and I4H over the last year or so.

Listening to this first ep, my high expectations have been met and then exceeded.

Bravo all round.

• Like 4

I am really not into musicals/borderline-hate them but holy shit I loved this show! So funny, so much damn talent, it's awesome

• Like 2

Holy shit, I am so incredibly happy about this show! I straight up had to listen to episode 1 twice in a row immediately. Thank you for this incredible idea and beautiful execution!

• Like 4

This. Show. Is. Amazing.

Amazing like Wetzel's Pretzels amazing?

• Like 3

Wow that was crazy. Gearing up for your first time to sing with them seems way beyond intimidating haha.

Great show premise and hosts. Really hoping Aukerman, Ben Schwartz and Lapkus are some of the future guests too

• Like 4

Wow, the first song both blew me away and crushed my dreams. Excuse me while I find my own way home.

I'm hoping for some Spontaneanation regulars will pop in since some of them are really gung-ho about musical improv, like Shulie Cowen.

Also, thank you Jessica and Zach for creating this podcast! For some reason I don't like most musicals, but if it's an improvised musical then I'm so freakin' excited.

• Like 3

Hey, look, a Playbill.

Shrugging Destiny

Book, Music, and Lyrics by Jessica McKenna, Zach Reino, and Paul F. Tompkins

Act I

"You Gotta Crush A Kid's Dreams" - Parents, Bradley, Jenny, Steve, Kevin

"Shrug It Off" - Steve, Jenny, Devon

"Put Yourself First" - Parents, Smooth Citizen Radio DJ

"You Can Fuck Right Off" - Orphan

"Dang Dang Dang You Know" - Devon, Orphans

Act II

"No One Wants To Eat At Chipotle" - Chipotle Staff Member, Floor, Guacamole

"Tokyo Driftin'" - Steve, Kevin, Devon

"You Can Do That" - Straight Fyre

"A More Famous Rabbit" - Lil' Ken

"What Do I Do (Collaborative and Humble)" - Devon, Straight Fyre, Pastor

"Tokyo Driftin' (Reprise)" - Devon

"The Right Stuff (Finale)" - Devon, Kyle, Orphans, Parents

• Like 12

This was such an incredible debut ep that I listened for the first 40 mins and then started over with a group of people because it needed to be shared. And even better on the second time through. God bless you, Paul F. Tompkins. And amazing show, Jess and Zach!

• Like 9

Zach sounds so much like Trey Parker when he sings. I love it.

I came here just to say this. + a little Chris Hardwick.

Agreed, this might be the strongest debut ep of any podcast that I've listened to. "Collaborative and Humble" was so surprisingly good, one of those three scenes happening simultaneously songs like "Satisfied" from Hamilton. But done on the spot. I was belly laughing on the train.

Jess and Zach are beyond talented, and I look forward to seeing how guests fare in this Improv+song environment. PFT is a GD legend and you could tell he didn't have his regular effortless grace (but he still crushed it). Perhaps some future Weird Al or Lin Manuel? Can you imagine this show live?

• Like 2

Came off of the Comedy Bang Bang episode..

Loved this.. Brilliant and will listen every week...

• Like 2