#21 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

Ha ha ha, guys.

I'm just saying, Monster Trucks is the best movie of this or any generation. Quite frankly, Citizen Kane can go fuck itself.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#22 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Not to interrupt but truthfully we don't put as much thought into nixing movies as you might believe. I work with Nate and Avaryl on finding movies that are better than just blandly bad. It's surprisingly how many current movies we have looked at that are just fine. I'd rather do something like The Apple or Ninja Terminator because they are just so different, they allow us to go in different directions from a conversation standpoint. That doesn't mean we ONLY exist in them. For example the next two films are wildly different and from the 2000s. . To me it's about creating variety and also making the film watching experience fun. My biggest issue about this show is when people complain about not wanting to watch a "bad movie" - that's the whole premise. Plus I will argue that these weird ones are really watchable. Hard Ticket is a classic, It's like TBS' version of The Room. All this being said, I love reading these opinions and please I just want you to understand the choices. Back in the beginning we wouldn't pre watch. Now I'd argue we toss away a ton after looking at them. As with anything it's a matter of taste. So you might not like Ninja Terminator but a lot of other people did. So hopefully we keep the roulette wheel of genre spinning and we try to connect genres or making interesting pairs week after week. Hence Chopping Mall and Hard Ticket. But I do want you to know we are afraid of current films. We just want to find ones that are fun to watch and yeah they aren't going to be good. I also hear the argument that The Face/Offs and Devils Advocates are fun. I love them too but they are a little harder to come by.

Re: Netflix - I know it's not technically free but a majority of people have Netflix and it's something where you don't have to pay per movie or even have cable. In my experience people are willing to take a chance on Netflix films because if you have it. It's just a click.

Also your monster truck arrgument is INSANE.

#23 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

I also hear the argument about B movies. But it's fun to dip our toes in that pool too, especially with Horror.
Again just from a variety standpoint. Have faith that we can always keep you guessing and that we can go from Time Cop to Grease 2 to Ninja Terminator to Lake House.

#24 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 July 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Re: Netflix - I know it's not technically free but ...

i know dad. i was just looking for a place to rant about my sister giving away my netflix password ... i mean, who does that???

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 July 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

... we can go from Time Cop to Grease 2 to ...

i still haven't watched grease 2. hence it's the only HDTGM episode i haven't listened to. i should really but i just can't stand musicals. i did buy the dvd though so i'm a step closer

#25 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

My biggest issue about this show is when people complain about not wanting to watch a "bad movie" - that's the whole premise.

In my defense, I love watching bad movies. I look forward to watching them every other week. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. But I do think there's a difference between a good-bad movie and a bad-bad movie. And, of course, that in itself is subjective. I'll give this movie a shot, too. I just find it boring when the discussion comes down to, "this untalented person who had no business making a movie made a bad movie." I like looking for the little logical errors in these movies. The little things that don't quite add up. But when the whole movie is one huge logical error...

And, again, this isn't a knock on the show or it's quality or anything like that. It's just that I like to talk about these movies with the friends that I've met on these boards. When the movie doesn't have much to offer beyond, "Wow, that sucked" it's kind of a bummer. And I get that my complaint is very Cameron H-centric. I apologize for that.

Spoken like a man who hasn't experienced the joy for himself. You have my pity.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#26 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

Well, I might as well get to this now. I'll be going on vacation soon for two weeks and not sure if I'll have access to internet or a computer so I bring to you a very special early edition of...

How Did This Get Named?

Hard Ticket to Hawaii is グラマー・エンジェル危機一発 (Guramaa Enjeru Kikiippatsu) or Glamor Angels Imminent Danger

Now this is weird things are a bit odd. See as some of you may or may not know Hard Ticket to Hawaii is the second Andy Sidaris film and actually a sequel to Malibu Express. You'd figure "Oh, when it came to Japan they called all those films Glamor Angels to play off Charlie's Angels." While the second part is probably true but this is the only film in the series to have a different title than the original English one. Now normally I would post a poster of the film but this one is the exact same as the American one. However, what I did find were two TV spots for the movie. Enjoy!

The part that needs to be highlighted is this shot which reads "Perverted snake come oooon!!"Posted Image

The second TV spot is rather dry and just explains the story of the movie but has this wonderful shot. After profiling each one of the girls by name and what makes them special it cuts to:
Posted Image

Which reads "Muscle Man B: (heart heart heart) with Eddie" and "Handsom Guy A: Donna's lover"
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#27 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

For example the next two films are wildly different and from the 2000s.

*crosses fingers* Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow!

HA!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#28 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 28 July 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

*crosses fingers* Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow!

QotD is SO GOOD though

#29 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Loved the "Ferdy" meaning/explanation, but I just thought they called the character like that becaused he was a nerd and it rhymed with "Nerdy"

#30 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:28 AM

View PostGood times2the Max!miliano, on 28 July 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

Loved the "Ferdy" meaning/explanation, but I just thought they called the character like that becaused he was a nerd and it rhymed with "Nerdy"

That part confused me. I thought the nerd guy was Ferdy not the woman.

#31 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 28 July 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

HA!

I almost name checked both of those movies in my initial post. ;)
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#32 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 28 July 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

QotD is SO GOOD though

Legit good or so bad good?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...

#33 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 28 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

Both at once and none at all.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#34 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostCameron H., on 28 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

Both at once and none at all.

My interest is now piqued

#35 TechTheatreProf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Paul played the trailer for our next assignment and the voice over uses the line, "The tantalizing wetness of the blue Pacific". How pervy is that? I feel like the Pacific should file a restraining order against the scriptwriter and the voice actor who did the trailer. Maybe the director of the Chopping Mall had a hand in its creation....

I just discovered this podcast a month ago and I heart it so.

TTP

#36 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostTechTheatreProf, on 28 July 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Paul played the trailer for our next assignment and the voice over uses the line, "The tantalizing wetness of the blue Pacific". How pervy is that? I feel like the Pacific should file a restraining order against the scriptwriter and the voice actor who did the trailer. Maybe the director of the Chopping Mall had a hand in its creation....

TTP

Glad to hear it and glad to have you.

Posted Image

#37 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

View PostTechTheatreProf, on 28 July 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

TTP

Posted Image

Welcome aboard!
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#38 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 28 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

So bad good that it becomes legit good.

#39 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

View PostCameron H., on 28 July 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Forget cats, give me funny and cute bear gifs and pictures anytime.

Posted Image

#40 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)