🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 167.5 - Minisode 167.5

It will be available on Netflix on August 1.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80114501

And Tom's all like:

tumblr_nh3w53EY1F1qheo83o1_500.gif

I'm afraid the mention of Anthony Rapp triggered my "reply with Rent gifs only" protocol." It's the luck of the draw, I'm afraid. We can only hope that next time it will be Adventures in Babysitting...

• Like 7

And Tom's all like:

tumblr_nh3w53EY1F1qheo83o1_500.gif

I'm afraid the mention of Anthony Rapp triggered my "reply with Rent gifs only" protocol." It's the luck of the draw, I'm afraid. We can only hope that next time it will be Adventures in Babysitting...

tumblr_inline_mqyeo3bn3t1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 7

Blowing up a blow-up doll with a bazooka is complete nonsense, it is like a 12 year-old wrote some of this.

TTP

any chance you can put this kind of thing behind the spoiler tag? we try to keep discussions like this hidden or keep them for the episode thread. can't speak for anyone else but i like to watch the movies as fresh as i can so if you wouldn't mind i'd appreciate it. thanks

• Like 1

That part confused me. I thought the nerd guy was Ferdy not the woman.

Yeah, it was the guy. Still a good explanation though. And maybe it was short for Ferdinand? Or possibly a portmanteau of "Fucking Nerdy"? Just a couple of ideas.

• Like 3

I'm with you on everything except the Monster Trucks love, Cameron (only because I haven't seen it). I tend to check out when it's schlocky 80s horror like Chopping Mall or Lifeforce or Death Spa. I don't know why, but those movies just bore me to tears. I still love the shows that come out of them, but I'm not going to sit through those movies anymore.

• Like 5

Also, I just started playing the episode and came here to write a post about how Paul kept saying "Welcome Back Carter," but right as I finished writing the post, Paul caught himself.

Dude can never let me have anything.

• Like 4

I'm with you on everything except the Monster Trucks love, Cameron (only because I haven't seen it). I tend to check out when it's schlocky 80s horror like Chopping Mall or Lifeforce or Death Spa. I don't know why, but those movies just bore me to tears. I still love the shows that come out of them, but I'm not going to sit through those movies anymore.

Thanks, Fister! Glad to hear I'm not alone. :)

Question though: what are you guys doing with your lives that you haven't watched Monster Trucks yet?

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I am watching the Mythbusters Shark Week 25th Anniversary show (because of course I am) and they did one on "Deep Blue Sea"! Anyway, I hope Jason has seen this. https://en.wikipedia...rs_(2008_season)#Black_Powder_Shark

Also there was a showing of HARD TICKET TO HAWAII at the Alamo Drafthouse here in Brooklyn this week but it was sold out.

• Like 5

Did anyone else think/hope the reveal of the director was going to be him calling into the Explanation Hope Line to bitch at Paul?

Question though: what are you guys doing with your lives that you haven't watched Monster Trucks yet?

giphy.gif

Look, man...

tumblr_nn461lbuuJ1qdone5o2_250.gif

• Like 6

We recently got shipped a promo DVD of Monster Trucks at my work (I work at a theatre). If it's still there when I go in, I'll have to grab it and see how much of this treatment Cameron deserves.

Also, I just started playing the episode and came here to write a post about how Paul kept saying "Welcome Back Carter," but right as I finished writing the post, Paul caught himself.

Dude can never let me have anything.

I love how happy Paul was about guessing the correct pronunciation of Halle. He so rarely gets a win on pronouncing names.

• Like 3

I'll have to grab it and see how much of this treatment Cameron deserves.

I deserve NONE of it! Soon, you too will be changed...

• Like 5

I mean...no one fucking believes that.

But...I thought...I hoped, if I said it emphatically enough...I'd believe it. :(

• Like 3

Hard Ticket is a classic, It's like TBS' version of The Room.

THIS^^^ The bulk of Sidaris' films are basically what Tommy Wiseau did by accident with The Room, but Sidaris did on purpose. Sidaris basically wanted to make B movies using a rotating cast of regular actors mixed in with C-list celebrities like Erik Estrada and Pat Morita. Hard Ticket really is the best of the ones he made because it does try to be an action movie that just oozes 80s, albeit with a few slightly longer sex scenes that the average theatrical release. It's only in his later movies do there tend to be more sex scenes but even in those the actors still play with a straight face that they are these various spies or assassins.

The movie is up there with Deadly Prey and Undefeatable in regards to greatest cheesy B-action movies and should make for a great episode.

• Like 1

I deserve NONE of it! Soon, you too will be changed...

Changed for the worse.

This is assuming I don't get shamed too much by the other staff for watching Monster Trucks.

• Like 2

Changed for the worse.

This is assuming I don't get shamed too much by the other staff for watching Monster Trucks.

Look...people aren't going to get it. You're entering a brave new world. You can't expect lesser minds to understand. Monster Trucks is your red pill. Leave the cave - with all its shadows and and all of it's gossamer comforts - and join me in the fearless light of day.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

*crosses fingers* Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow! Please be Queen of the Damned and Day After Tomorrow!

I'm holding out hope for The Marine.

• Like 5

As far as schlock vs. other types of movies go, I have a real soft spot for 80s cheese, and I also enjoy the low-key time travel BONKERS of Lake House. I honestly had more fun watching that film and both Ninja Terminator and Chopping Mall than Fate of the Furious, which I found dull, interminably long, and just as misogynistic (though clearly in very different ways) as Chopping Mall. Plus, the 80s and 90s Super Clunkers are obviously easier on my wallet. I also enjoyed the HDTGM episodes coming from those movies more, since I did not have to listen to how this Fast movie IS SO AMAZING because 1,000 CGI cars fall off a building while Vin Diesel emotes with all the range of a sea snail.

With all that said I am TOTALLY UP for Queen of the Damned or The Marine.

• Like 6

I'm holding out hope for The Marine.

i'm still waiting for shoot em up. i think it was mentioned around the time of the crank movies as a "must do" but it never got did. i've had the bluray on my shelf for years. that and bad lieutenant port of call new orleans are just collecting dust in hope.

• Like 2

I've never seen The Marine, but one look at the cast list tells me that I'm going to need to remedy that. ;)

As for Hard Ticket to Hawaii, for people who share my sensibilities, I'm 40 minutes in and I can pretty much tell you that what you get in the first 15 minutes is what you get. It doesn't get better or worse. At one point, I was getting annoyed that I didn't know any of the characters' names and then it suddenly occurred to me that this movie obviously wasn't made for me. However, I think horny 11 year old boys and people who share Donald Trump's opinion on women are in for a real treat. It's not a movie; it's "locker room talk."

(The titular song is pretty great, though.)

ETA:

Okay. The frisbee scene made me laugh out loud...

• Like 3

However, I think horny 11 year old boys and people who share Donald Trump's opinion on women are in for a real treat. It's not a movie; it's "locker room talk."

Ooph, now I am dreading this...

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Ooph, now I am dreading this...

giphy.gif

I mean, don't listen to me. You might get something out of it. There were a couple of funny things/lines, but honestly, I just found it to be really boring. I think there was a good 20 minutes where I just stopped watching completely. I mean, if you're into gratuitous nudity, then this is your movie. It's literally a movie for people that just seeing breasts is enough to make them happy.

The problem is, and this is something of a refrain on these boards, there's a difference when a movie is trying to be good and fails. It's that intention that makes something transcend beyond just bad. Wiseau and Nguyen have that. You can tell that there was no intention to make this a "good" movie. There's no statement here beyond "Tits, right?"

• Like 1

The problem is, and this is something of a refrain on these boards, there's a difference when a movie is trying to be good and fails. It's that intention that makes something transcend beyond just bad. Wiseau and Nguyen have that. You can tell that there was no intention to make this a "good" movie. There's no statement here beyond "Tits, right?"

My stance on the sneering, ironic "shitty on purpose because genuine passion for art and joy are for chumps" sort of movie-making, embodied in bullshit like Sharknado, has been... NO THANK YOU. But I guess I will just have to watch Hard Ticket to Hawaii to see if it falls into that category. I hope it doesn't, but "tits, right?" has never been enough for me to enjoy a movie. I spent my youth enamored with Arnold's exposed pectorals more than anything.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

These Malibu studios films where made for a specific reason, to be shown on Cinemax at night. They had just enough plot to further the the movie along to the next sex scene. The humor is really the idea of these people being government agents. Oh the 80s, with you're big guns... and your bigger guns?

5848822163ea76ef4c3f4b463bf1dc2e--s-movie-posters-horror-movie-posters.jpg

• Like 1