🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 167.5 - Minisode 167.5

Uh-oh. Monster Trucks might have a run for its money...

I just watched:

share.jpg

j/k Monster Trucks is still better. :)/>

I have kids and have to go to kid movies. This one...not good.

• Like 1

Uh-oh. Monster Trucks might have a run for its money...

I just watched:

share.jpg

j/k Monster Trucks is still better. :)

Holy shit, I for real got the vapors until the second spoiler click.

ETA: I watched that movie in the damn cinema. I could have spent that fourteen bucks on ANYTHING.

• Like 3

ETA: I watched that movie in the damn cinema. I could have spent that fourteen bucks on ANYTHING.

I got real worried until I saw the second one too. Monster Trucks is one thing....

• Like 2

Bless all your hearts...:)

Nothing will ever replace MT!

• Like 2

Might I interest you in a truck of the monster variety?

• Like 3

• Like 2

Might I interest you in a truck of the monster variety?

Does it qualify as Stockholm Syndrome if I say that this is starting to sound like a good idea?

• Like 3

Paul, thank you for registering the appropriateness of my name. But the irony is that my name is appropriate for these films, so I am not myself a Sweaty Premise on the forums for this podcast. We can never be what we behold, I suppose. Isn't that Wagner? The great Robert Wagner, character actor, of course.

I have to say I'm shocked by people who thought Hard Ticket was difficult to watch. I was generally bored watching by myself at 4 in the afternoon, but the boredom was punctuated by some wonderful madness. The soundtrack is from a bad video game. Plus, some truly insane moments in there. I won't spoil them, but I had to laugh and question if I'd seen what I just saw. Plus, you can't argue with the moral of the story.

Ha. I can't disagree with your points. As another parent who is getting up in the 5ams. The fact that you even watch a movie is mind blowing. It's taken june and I six sittings to get thru the finale of the Americans. And we liked it.

Also I'm telling Avaryl about Queen of the Damned. Have any of you seen stolen or criminal? Any good?

Stolen and Criminal are both fucking amazing for entirely different reasons.

Criminal is the better of the two in terms of pure entertainment value. Kevin Costner lumbers around Europe as basically a walking facsimile of how the rest of the world views Americans after Trump was elected. The fact that it contains the stars of two of the highest grossing comic book movies ever made is just icing on the cake. The plot is so insanely goofy, i'd highly recommend watching the Ricky Gervais Show where Karl Pilkington pitches his movie idea with Clive Warren and Rebecca DeMornay as this movie is essentially that pitch come to life.

I absolutely love Stolen though, Danny Huston is charming as ever starring as one of the worst detectives ever depicted in cinema. Nic Cage is fairly benign throughout, but the transformation that Josh Lucas goes through in this movie is so worth the price of admission its hard to put into words.

https://media.npr.or...c8ac.jpg?s=1400

• Like 1

Paul, thank you for registering the appropriateness of my name. But the irony is that my name is appropriate for these films, so I am not myself a Sweaty Premise on the forums for this podcast. We can never be what we behold, I suppose. Isn't that Wagner? The great Robert Wagner, character actor, of course.

I have to say I'm shocked by people who thought Hard Ticket was difficult to watch. I was generally bored watching by myself at 4 in the afternoon, but the boredom was punctuated by some wonderful madness. The soundtrack is from a bad video game. Plus, some truly insane moments in there. I won't spoil them, but I had to laugh and question if I'd seen what I just saw. Plus, you can't argue with the moral of the story.

I actually didn't find it difficult at all. Granted, I planned out my watching so that, really, I watched in 10-15 minute increments so it wouldn't get boring. There was plenty of absolutely bananas-silly moments for me to enjoy and a few other, surprising, things that appealed to me. Sure, there was a good amount of amateurish film-making and distasteful bits, but it had a pair of strong, intelligent female leads, which is more than I can say for a lot of action movies made NOW.

• Like 1

With Paul declaring the prospect of a Southland Tales episode all but dead, I think it's worth considering that the politics of bagging recent movies are a lot stickier. I don't think it's a coincidence that the recent era of movies was covered more thoroughly in the earlier episodes.

Speaking of "Southland Tales", I absolutely hate their reason for not going after it. I believe Paul said that they know and are friends with people that are in it, which we know already, given that half the cast of Saturday Night Live from 1994-2002 is in it and that there are approximately 1.2 million speaking parts. I mean, I may have wandered on set one day and been in the movie myself, THERE'S JUST NO WAY OF KNOWING. Anyway, the movie is a trainwreck worth talking about that no ONE person (besides maybe Richard Kelly) can be blamed for. If any of the HDTGM crew's friends DID do particularly shitty work in it though, they could talk around that all day long and we STILL probably wouldn't know who they were talking about, because the whole thing is madness.

I still hold to my original theory from several years ago though, and that's that HDTGM FEARS "Southland Tales".

• Like 3

I don't understand why fans get mad about them not wanting to do newer films or ones that their friends did.

They work in a business with a lot of politics and no job secrurity. And remember, not everyone thinks of it as an honor to have their movie on the podcast.

• Like 2

I don't understand why fans get mad about them not wanting to do newer films or ones that their friends did.

They work in a business with a lot of politics and no job secrurity. And remember, not everyone thinks of it as an honor to have their movie on the podcast.

Sean William Scott is a pretty good example of how studios are willing to retaliate on an actor after he publicly bashes his own movies before release.

That being said, i'm honestly more than a little disappointed that they wont cover their own or their friends questionable movies. Especially after they've long since been released and reviewed, making whatever criticism they have on the film have little to no effect on the films bottom line.

If they can spend as much time as they have ripping apart others work, i'd be nice to see them have a bit more humility and cover a movie they've done.

I don't think anyone is getting "mad." We all have our preferences for what movies we'd like to see done, but in the end, it's their podcast, they can do whatever they want.

What I like about these forums is I can say something like "I wish they would or wouldn't do such and such" and we can still have a civil conversation without anyone getting upset.

We love the show and we love the hosts!

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is getting "mad." We all have our preferences for what movies we'd like to see done, but in the end, it's their podcast, they can do whatever they want.

What I like about these forums is I can say something like "I wish they would or wouldn't do such and such" and we can still have a civil conversation without anyone getting upset.

We love the show and we love the hosts!

Idk seems like there are fans who do get mad that they don't do newer movies and prefer not to watch as many older movies. Not talking about the majority of fans on this site if that's what you thought I meant btw.

• Like 2

Idk seems like there are fans who do get mad that they don't do newer movies and prefer not to watch as many older movies. Not talking about the majority of fans on this site if that's what you thought I meant btw.

Oh, my bad. Yeah, I feel like everyone here is pretty chill. Honestly, I just like a healthy mix. I like new and old, and I like B and mainstream. I just like variety. For example, take the last four episodes: Ninja Terminator, Timecop, Chopping Mall, and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. Personally, I would have preferred that ratio of B movies and mainstream to be reversed. I think that's why you're not seeing a lot of enthusiasm for Hard Ticket right now - especially coming right off of Chopping Mall.

I think if they had spaced them out a bit some of the more distasteful elements of these movies would be easier to swallow. I really think having them come back to back was a bit of a misstep - especially when you consider the current political climate.

That being said, even after all this time, HDTGM doesn't really have that many missteps.

• Like 3

I think Cameron nailed why i've been a little frustrated with the last few picks. Hard Ticket to Hawaii by itself would have been significantly easier to handle had it not come on the back of so many other similarly terrible movies.

Theres also the level of B-movie i'm personally able to tolerate. The Cannon Films while insane were actually watchable and in some cases actually thoroughly enjoyable. Something like this that was lazily slapped together around a few scenes of topless women is just boring. Not too mention I feel like its hard for any level of discussion when the entire movie is just so generically bad. How can you nail down any one thing when the entire film is horrible in every regard. As compared to something like The Room that is bad in a way that is absolutely fascinating to watch.

• Like 2

As compared to something like The Room that is bad in a way that is absolutely fascinating to watch.

I hear another forum user you name-checked in your post might disagree with this assessment...

• Like 1

I hear another forum user you name-checked in your post might disagree with this assessment...

Ha! You're right. I'm not a huge The Room fan, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it had a little je ne sais quoi about it. As much as I didn't really enjoy watching it, and have no plans to watch it again anytime soon, I do still keep talking about and quoting it. Which isnt something I can say about Hard Ticket.

• Like 2