Jump to content


Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure


139 replies to this topic

#41 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

I think the deal with the blood thing was that even though she looked human, that change was superficial. As soon as he saw the blood, he couldn't get it out of his head that she was still just "an animal."


Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#42 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

I think the deal with the blood thing was that even though she looked human, that change was superficial. As soon as he saw the blood, he couldn't get it out of his head that she was still just "an animal."


But humans bleed too.

#43 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 July 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:



But humans bleed too.


The blood wasn't the problem. It was a reminder that she even had to have surgery in the first place. When she was fully dressed and they were just larking about, he could forget what she used to be, but as soon as he was covered in blood and confronted with her stitched up torso, he couldn't ignore it anymore.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#44 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Also, if I'm remembering the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale correctly, the thing that makes her human is always painful and never heals - which seems to be the implication of her still using crutches at the end. So I don't think it was simply a matter of rushing things too soon after surgery. This was going to be her life forever.

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#45 kateacola

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 July 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:


But humans bleed too.


His facial expression when he got up (with the blood on his stomach) I was thinking the camera was going to pan back to Silver and reveal something crazy! Since he looked so shocked/concerned...but it didn't.

The movie never did what I thought it was going to do.

#46 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

The blood wasn't the problem. It was a reminder that she even had to have surgery in the first place. When she was fully dressed and they were just larking about, he could forget what she used to be, but as soon as he was covered in blood and confronted with her stitched up torso, he couldn't ignore it anymore.


Gotcha.

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Also, if I'm remembering the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale correctly, the thing that makes her human is always painful and never heals - which seems to be the implication of her still using crutches at the end. So I don't think it was simply a matter of rushing things too soon after surgery. This was going to be her life forever.

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale.


Yes, the little mermaid is supposed to feel like walking on knives. There's a dance where she gets to dance with the prince, and she's happy, but each step is excruciating. Oh well, that's the price of love I guess!

I liked the foam too, although it looked more like laundry soap bubbles than magical sea foam.

#47 kateacola

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Also, if I'm remembering the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale correctly, the thing that makes her human is always painful and never heals - which seems to be the implication of her still using crutches at the end. So I don't think it was simply a matter of rushing things too soon after surgery. This was going to be her life forever.

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale.


Tbh, I wasn't too familiar with the fairy tale version of The Little Mermaid... But after watching I read up on, and do like that this followed a lot of the points of the fairy tale. The whole seaform thing made more sense.

But in the fairy tale version she was rewarded for not killing the prince after he married someone else... that didn't happen here.

Silver should've known her sister would kill him for revenge..but honestly Silver should have killed him herself anyway for being such a dick and quickly moving on to someone else.

#48 kateacola

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

This scene made me have a flash back of....

Spoiler


#49 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Postkateacola, on 31 July 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

This scene made me have a flash back of....

Spoiler


YESSSSS
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#50 SaraK

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

The blood wasn't the problem. It was a reminder that she even had to have surgery in the first place. When she was fully dressed and they were just larking about, he could forget what she used to be, but as soon as he was covered in blood and confronted with her stitched up torso, he couldn't ignore it anymore.


I would think when he saw that horrible cut around her waist, he would have looked disgusted or stopped her or something. But maybe he was too blinded by lust.

#51 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostSaraK, on 31 July 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:


I would think when he saw that horrible cut around her waist, he would have looked disgusted or stopped her or something. But maybe he was too blinded by lust.


Probably, but I think that wouldn't have been as dramatic visually. Also, I think the idea is that he's trying to look past it, but can't.

Ultimately, I think the movie is making a statement about true love versus superficiality and infatuation. She wants to be with him - despite the fact he's a huge asshat who thinks she's gross - and he wants to be with her even though he's not attracted to her at all. I'm not 100% I ever got (or caught ) why he suddenly wants to be with her, but I assume it has something to do with him hitching himself to her rising star? Regardless, they are playing pretend love. True love wouldn't have required her to change for him, nor would it have mattered if she had gaping festering wounds that constantly bled. Unfortunately, she never really realizes that her feelings for him are unhealthy which is why she returns to foam at the end instead of ripping that motherfucker's throat straight out.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#52 kateacola

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:


Probably, but I think that wouldn't have been as dramatic visually. Also, I think the idea is that he's trying to look past it, but can't.

Ultimately, I think the movie is making a statement about true love versus superficiality and infatuation. She wants to be with him - despite the fact he's a huge asshat who thinks she's gross - and he wants to be with her even though he's not attracted to her at all. I'm not 100% I ever got (or caught ) why he suddenly wants to be with her, but I assume it has something to do with him hitching himself to her rising star? Regardless, they are playing pretend love. True love wouldn't have required her to change for him, nor would it have mattered if she had gaping festering wounds that constantly bled. Unfortunately, she never really realizes that her feelings for him are unhealthy which is why she returns to foam at the end instead of ripping that motherfucker's throat straight out.


I agree with everything--except I do think he was attracted to her but he couldn't get over the fish/animal/ having a tail "thing".

#53 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Question: if you all were going to write a Musical about a mythological creature, what creature would you choose? I would choose a Shirime.

Spoiler

Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#54 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Question: if you all were going to write a Musical about a mythological creature, what creature would you choose? I would choose a Shirime.

Spoiler



I was going to ask what mythical creature you guys would bone. I'll just assume your answer for that question is a shirime as well.

#55 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:27 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 July 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:


I was going to ask what mythical creature you guys would bone. I'll just assume your answer for that question is a shirime as well.


*wink*
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#56 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

What the fuck did I come back to
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#57 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

So I just finished watching The Lure. Now I need something lighthearted and palate-cleansing. I think I'll watch Chopping Mall.

(Seriously, will read the thread and comment tomorrow. WOW. What a movie.)
Lorelei: "Pardon please, is this the boat to Europe, France?"
Steward: "To where?"
Dorothy: "Not Europe, France, honey. France is in Europe."
Lorelei: "Well who said it wasn't?"
Dorothy: "Well, you wouldn't say 'Is this the way to North America, Mexico', would you?"
Lorelei: "If that's where I wanted to go I would."
Dorothy: "The dealer passes."
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

#58 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

My reaction when they were showing off the sisters' human form: where does the butt start?


#59 Good times2the Max!miliano

    Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

I couldn't watch The Lure last night because of 3 things...

1. I fell asleep

2. I woke up at 3am and "got" up to date with G.o.T. :) #notsorry

(And most importantly...) 3. I watched Cameron H.'s best film of the year "Monster-ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE-Trucks" (Yes I said it!)

THIS IS NOT A JOKE #100realandtrue

Cameron H. let me publicly say to you that I'm deeply sorry if any of my thoughts, actions, and previous posts seemed to convey that I was a "Monster Trucks" NON believer that was just a nasty side-effect from the UNFAIR review cicle this EPIC GEM recieved in the media and Internet (PLUS I had not seen it yet)... I wish to be one with the underground lake creatures

You are redeemed and all of those who have doubted the quality of M.T. simply are not working on the highest ( or lowest if you are a lake creature ;) ) level of consciousness and spiritual enlightenment you get from witnessing the greatness of this Film

All of that said, I still don't feel 100% worthy... I'm getting there, the problem is I'm not brave enough to say or write that "Monster Trucks is the best film of the year" (both 2016 and 2017 'cuz it premiered on/after Christmas 2016 in France, UK, Ireland and Malaysia... 4 Lucky countries) Much like Barry Pepper's policeman character, the truth is in front of me (Like you told the world, I saw it in the film) but I have to work some personal stuff out in order to bond with my adoptive son Tripp (Lucas Till, who you confessed was your REAL identity) And WE know what happened with their relationship at the end of the movie :D

I've decided that my punishment for my lack of "Monster Truck" courage is to spread the word about it (Much like you Cameron H.) and watch it a bunch

tl;dr... I 100% UN-Ironically LOVED/LOVE "Monster Trucks" Thank You Cameron H.

Posted Image

P.S. : Pressing play on "The Lure" Now BRB

#60 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostCameron H., on 31 July 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale tail.

FTFY
Lorelei: "Pardon please, is this the boat to Europe, France?"
Steward: "To where?"
Dorothy: "Not Europe, France, honey. France is in Europe."
Lorelei: "Well who said it wasn't?"
Dorothy: "Well, you wouldn't say 'Is this the way to North America, Mexico', would you?"
Lorelei: "If that's where I wanted to go I would."
Dorothy: "The dealer passes."
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)