🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

In the spirit of SaraK's 'stupid question' (sic):

WHY DON'T THE MERMAIDS GROW THEIR TAILS WHEN IT RAINS? It's raining in, like, 60% of scenes in this movie and Silver runs around in it laughing. Those raincoats must be hella good.

• Like 7

This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask my favorite stupid question. Do you guys think mermaid's fingers get pruney?

Yes, if they sit around regular bath water too long. Not as much in the ocean.

• Like 5

WHY DON'T THE MERMAIDS GROW THEIR TAILS WHEN IT RAINS? It's raining in, like, 60% of scenes in this movie and Silver runs around in it laughing. Those raincoats must be hella good.

In addition, Gold is already a mermaid when she gets out of the car after devouring a man. She has to drag herself out of the car to the river (thanks Cake). Did she have a water bottle to squirt herself in the car? Maybe some blood got on her legs and she turned into a mermaid? It makes no sense.

• Like 6

In addition, Gold is already a mermaid when she gets out of the car after devouring a man. She has to drag herself out of the car to the river (thanks Cake). Did she have a water bottle to squirt herself in the car? Maybe some blood got on her legs and she turned into a mermaid? It makes no sense.

giphy.gif

Maybe they turn into Mermaids when they eat hearts and shit

Wait, no, they eat those other guys and keep their legs, and when Golden eats blonde dude at the end she has legs until she gets in the water.

One thing I really dug was how animalistic they were - they weren't women at all, they were monsters in this attractive outer form. Their whale-like noises and growling was pretty good. Their communication by sonar was a nice touch, and when they grew their fangs and their eyes clouded they really looked the part. I liked that.

• Like 6

Also how can mermaids smoke? Do they have human lungs?

I think they do have mammalian lungs instead of gills. They have vaginas on their tails, so I guess they're more like dolphins, not bony fish. Although now I have to ask, do they have blowholes on top of their skulls?

• Like 7

Heck yes it is. Even 'this season is a mess' is a damn spoiler! I'll catch up soon but have pity on those of us without HBO!

Well I disagree about this season being a mess SO TAKE THAT AND GO BACK TO NEUTRAL

• Like 5

I would say quantity of water, but it does seem like they just splash water on their legs in the beginning. Maybe they can control how fast their tails grow? The first scene it changes, it seemed like the scales came slowly. And when they jumped into the tank at the club, they appeared rapidly.

• Like 5

I agree with Cakebug's assessment regarding the script. There were things I wished they had spent a bit more time on, like who the band members were. I thought maybe the band members were a family and that the bassist was the older couple's son. However, there's a scene were Silver spies on Kinga giving a blow job (?) to someone - and later she walks out with the bassist. So they're not mother and son?

The poison scene - what was that about? Who was the other blonde lady who came to cure them? What does this have to do with anything? And then did the drummer leave Kinga for the other blonde lady?

Who exactly is Triton? Is he THE Triton? Did he bite the head off a bird on stage?

I agree with everyone. I don't totally get what the relationships were, like sometimes I thought they were a family and sometimes I didn't.

And then in the very beginning was that the band Silver and Golden were about to (probably) eat, but Kinga screamed and stopped them? And then they joined the band??

Or was that a different band they were about to eat? I wasn't sure how they got into the band or why.

I don't know who the blonde lady was. Or what the point of that scene was? There seemed to be a few characters that would pop up for a scene but had no purpose really-- The blonde lady. The cop. and Triton weren't really necessary, imo.

Also, I want to know more about the leg / tail surgery.

Was it a dead person that she got the legs from? Or was it a live girl who wanted a mermaid tail? I'm assuming it was a live person since it looks like they sewed up the tail to the body? Like if it was a dead person who was an organ/leg donor they probably wouldn't attach the tail to her, right?

If it was a live person...she's wouldn't be a real mermaid because the tail was attached, right? Won't she always be in tail form? Since she isn't a true mermaid, she wouldn't be able to breath underwater.. so why would she elect to switch bottoms?

I want to know what happened to her.

But I'm probably dumb and it was a dead person that she got the legs from.

• Like 7

If it was a live person...she's wouldn't be a real mermaid the tail was attached, right? Won't she always be in tail form? Since she isn't a true mermaid, she wouldn't be able to breath underwater.. so why would she elect to switch bottoms?

I want to know what happened to her. But I'm probably dumb and it was a dead person that she got the legs from.

I'm pretty sure she was alive. I thought she was dead until Silver turned and looked at her and the girl looked back at her. That overhead shot of the donor looked very bizzare, like her head was too small for her body.

I have no idea why someone would volunteer to have their lower half cut off and replaced with a fish tail.

• Like 5

Also, I want to know more about the leg / tail surgery.

Was it a dead person that she got the legs from? Or was it a live girl who wanted a mermaid tail? I'm assuming it was a live person since it looks like they sewed up the tail to the body? Like if it was a dead person who was an organ/leg donor they probably wouldn't attach the tail to her, right?

If it was a live person...she's wouldn't be a real mermaid the tail was attached, right? Won't she always be in tail form? Since she isn't a true mermaid, she wouldn't be able to breath underwater.. so why would she elect to switch bottoms?

I want to know what happened to her. But I'm probably dumb and it was a dead person that she got the legs from.

In addition, prior to the surgery, Silver chats up a rando at the bar and says that she can tell he wants her tail. She says she's going to be getting legs and then offers her tail to him. At first, I thought maybe she meant it as does he want the tail as a trophy of some kind? But then later, the actual surgery shows a lower body swap. So then did she mean did he want the tail as his lower body? But then again, that makes no sense, since she would be stuck with a male lower half. :wacko:

• Like 5

Why would you cut off your legs for someone who dumped your body over a bridge?

Exactly. The bassist guy was kind of a dick, right?

He told her he only sees her as an animal/fish..and then later helps to dispose of her body and maybe even helped try to murder her? (They only showed she got punched in the face right? Did they think she was dead after that?? Or did they do something else to think they were dead?)

Why go through all of that for him? He's not that into you girl..

• Like 5

To be fair, he did say that he could never have sex with her because he couldn't see her as anything but an animal or a fish. So maybe she thought that her tail was the last thing standing between them and their happiness.

In any case, dude got married SUPER fast. If he hadn't have been de-throated by a vengeful sister mermaid, I would have given that marriage, like, six months.

• Like 6

Exactly. The bassist guy was kind of a dick, right?

He told her he only sees her as an animal/fish..and then later helps to dispose of her body and maybe even helped try to murder her? (They only showed she got punched in the face right? Did they think she was dead after that?? Or did they do something else to think they were dead?)

Why go through all of that for him? He's not that into you girl..

The true monster is love. HAHA!

• Like 6

To be fair, he did say that he could never have sex with her because he couldn't see her as anything but an animal or a fish. So maybe she thought that her tail was the last thing standing between them and their happiness.

In any case, dude got married SUPER fast. If he hadn't have been de-throated by a vengeful sister mermaid, I would have given that marriage, like, six months.

Yea that too...I thought he moved on fast. Was he done with Silver because she bled on him when they were trying to bang?

She just had tail / leg surgery dude! She did that for him.

• Like 5

Yea that too...I thought he moved on fast. Was he done with Silver because she bled on him when they were trying to bang?

She just had tail / leg surgery dude! She did that for him.

Yeah, I figured it was a comment on how dumb guys are about menstrual blood. Or maybe just post-surgery sex. Either way, ease up on her you asshole.

• Like 7

I think the deal with the blood thing was that even though she looked human, that change was superficial. As soon as he saw the blood, he couldn't get it out of his head that she was still just "an animal."

• Like 6

I think the deal with the blood thing was that even though she looked human, that change was superficial. As soon as he saw the blood, he couldn't get it out of his head that she was still just "an animal."

But humans bleed too.

• Like 5

But humans bleed too.

The blood wasn't the problem. It was a reminder that she even had to have surgery in the first place. When she was fully dressed and they were just larking about, he could forget what she used to be, but as soon as he was covered in blood and confronted with her stitched up torso, he couldn't ignore it anymore.

• Like 7

Also, if I'm remembering the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale correctly, the thing that makes her human is always painful and never heals - which seems to be the implication of her still using crutches at the end. So I don't think it was simply a matter of rushing things too soon after surgery. This was going to be her life forever.

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale.

• Like 6

But humans bleed too.

His facial expression when he got up (with the blood on his stomach) I was thinking the camera was going to pan back to Silver and reveal something crazy! Since he looked so shocked/concerned...but it didn't.

The movie never did what I thought it was going to do.

• Like 6

The blood wasn't the problem. It was a reminder that she even had to have surgery in the first place. When she was fully dressed and they were just larking about, he could forget what she used to be, but as soon as he was covered in blood and confronted with her stitched up torso, he couldn't ignore it anymore.

Gotcha.

Also, if I'm remembering the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale correctly, the thing that makes her human is always painful and never heals - which seems to be the implication of her still using crutches at the end. So I don't think it was simply a matter of rushing things too soon after surgery. This was going to be her life forever.

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale.

Yes, the little mermaid is supposed to feel like walking on knives. There's a dance where she gets to dance with the prince, and she's happy, but each step is excruciating. Oh well, that's the price of love I guess!

I liked the foam too, although it looked more like laundry soap bubbles than magical sea foam.

• Like 7

Tbh, I wasn't too familiar with the fairy tale version of The Little Mermaid... But after watching I read up on, and do like that this followed a lot of the points of the fairy tale. The whole seaform thing made more sense.

But in the fairy tale version she was rewarded for not killing the prince after he married someone else... that didn't happen here.

Silver should've known her sister would kill him for revenge..but honestly Silver should have killed him herself anyway for being such a dick and quickly moving on to someone else.

• Like 6

file.jpg

This scene made me have a flash back of....

hero_EB20070913REVIEWS709130301AR.jpg

This scene.... :P

• Like 6

file.jpg

This scene made me have a flash back of....

hero_EB20070913REVIEWS709130301AR.jpg

This scene.... :P

YESSSSS

• Like 4

I would think when he saw that horrible cut around her waist, he would have looked disgusted or stopped her or something. But maybe he was too blinded by lust.

• Like 4