๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

Yes, I was puzzled by the finginaTM as well - when Silver hits on the guy in the bar she says something along the lines of "I'm going to get a pussy" (sic) - so she doesn't consider the hole in her leg a vagina. But when the creepy club owner guy puts his hand in there she seems to show pleasure (maybe just for his edification?), and she does invite Bobo Peter Dinklage to put his dick in there, doesn't she? In all of these cases, it seems like that is definitely a mermaid vagina, but Silver seems fixated on getting a human vagina. Is this because Bobo Peter Dinklage is only attracted to humans?

ย 

AND ALSO. If she gets her tail cut off and gets a human vagina, to pretend she's not an animal, she still grows those nasty mermaid teeth and communicates by sonar. She's still totally an animal, dude.

It's like the concept of The Lure is flawed

• Like 7

In all of these cases, it seems like that is definitely a mermaid vagina,

ย 

I think it's technically her mermaid cloaca...;)

• Like 5

Hey, here's something I meant to do at the end of the last thread: not sure if anyone's interested in doing this, or if it will hurt people's feelings (probably not....)...

ย 

Since we're now into round 2 of MM, I thought we might like to rank, based on our own personal enjoyment, all of the MM films in the first round.

ย 

Here's the chronological list.

ย 

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Hairspray

Tommy

Beauty and the Beast

Across the Universe

Jesus Christ Superstar

Cabaret!

Rent

Pete's Dragon

High School Musical

Repo! The Genetic Opera

An American Tail

That Thing You Do!

The Phantom of the Paradise

The Fantasticks

Krush Groove

ย 

Aside from the blanket truth that Across the Universe is everyone's number 1, how do you rank them? (you can obviously exclude ones you didn't get to see).

• Like 6

LOL sorry about "Kinga." I went with it because I didn't know the character's name.

ย 

ย 

ย 

tumblr_oo69mz8X7J1uy3noqo1_500.gif

ย 

Darn you! I was trying to work out a Kinga Forrester joke. Closest I came was "Wow. Felicia Day has really let herself go."

I am heading off for a few days' vacation so I will step out with a couple last WTFs from The Lure. (Great pick Fister! This is one movie I got a lot out of.)

ย 

1) In the shopping scene it seemed like Kinga was a mega-star. She pushed through the crowds at the store entrance and all the clerks came flocking like she had Richard Gere's credit card from Pretty Woman. Yet the rest of the movie she's listless and barely able to go through a day, coming to life only when she's on the stage.

ย 

2) The songs in general I had a problem with but I admit it's my own pet peeve, not necessarily based in reality. I don't care that the songs didn't really rhyme in English since they're written in Polish. Yet they didn't seem to rhyme or make much sense in Polish either. I read that some of the songs were hit songs in Poland that the movie used to "lure" in audiences. I just didn't see the songs being very "singable" I guess.

ย 

3) Semi-related to #2: WhyTF were Matiek and his bride singing the gloom and doom song at their wedding? How did they even know about it? I thought Golden (maybe Silver) sang it to herself at one point. Don't remember anyone noticing it at the time nor the song resurfacing until the wedding.

ย 

4) Why did Silver and Golden stop eating the guy along the riverbank? It's like they each got a piece, took a bite or two then were like "I just remembered. I hate liver!" and put it back down.

ย 

Anyway, thanks as always for letting me pop in once in a while and sharing these movies with me! See you next week.

ย 

Cinco

• Like 4

Yes, I was puzzled by the finginaTM as well - when Silver hits on the guy in the bar she says something along the lines of "I'm going to get a pussy" (sic) - so she doesn't consider the hole in her leg a vagina. But when the creepy club owner guy puts his hand in there she seems to show pleasure (maybe just for his edification?), and she does invite Bobo Peter Dinklage to put his dick in there, doesn't she? In all of these cases, it seems like that is definitely a mermaid vagina, but Silver seems fixated on getting a human vagina. Is this because Bobo Peter Dinklage is only attracted to humans?

ย 

AND ALSO. If she gets her tail cut off and gets a human vagina, to pretend she's not an animal, she still grows those nasty mermaid teeth and communicates by sonar. She's still totally an animal, dude.

I think it's definitely to try to get together with Mietek. He told her that she's an animal, and having human anatomy seems to be her way of showing that she is, in fact, human.

ย 

Hey, here's something I meant to do at the end of the last thread: not sure if anyone's interested in doing this, or if it will hurt people's feelings (probably not....)...

ย 

Since we're now into round 2 of MM, I thought we might like to rank, based on our own personal enjoyment, all of the MM films in the first round.

I was thinking about something like this over the weekend. I think my ranking would be:

ย 

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. Hairspray

3. Hedwig and the Angry Inch

4. High School Musical

5. Rent (less so because of the movie itself and more so because it got me to watch the stage version and listen to the songs a billion times)

6. Cabaret!

7. That Thing You Do!

8. An American Tail

9. Krush Groove

10. Pete's Dragon

11. Repo! The Genetic Opera

12. The Fantasticks

13. Jesus Christ Superstar

14. Across the Universe

15. Tommy

ย 

Didn't see:

ย 

Also, speaking of That Thing You Do!, has anyone seen Andrea Savage's new show I'm Sorry on truTV? Tom Everett Scott plays her husband, and he's actually pretty funny in it (and also Zouks has a recurring role).

• Like 4

ย 

ย 

Here's the chronological list.

ย 

Aside from the blanket truth that Across the Universe is everyone's number 1, how do you rank them? (you can obviously exclude ones you didn't get to see).

ย 

This is actually kind of a difficult question to answer, simply because it's difficult to put an Academy Award movie next to something like Phantom of the Paradise. However, for me personally, it would be:

ย 

High School Musical

Cabaret

Rent

Hedwig

Jesus Christ Superstar

Hairspray

That Thing You Do!

Tommy

The Fantasticks

Krush Groove

Repo! The Genetic Opera

Across the Universe

Beauty and the Beast

An American Tail

Pete's Dragon

ย 

Again, this isn't a knock against anyone's pick. Honestly, I based my picks more on the conversation the movies generated over their actual quality. In fact, I initially wanted to take movies off my list that I had seen prior to Musical Mondays, but that would have meant taking High School Musical off, which I felt generated the best (i.e. most fun) conversation overall...

ย 

Honestly, I've had a lot of fun with everyone's pick! I'm so glad to have seen what I have and I look forward for what you guys have in store this round ;)

• Like 2

Ok here's my ranking:

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. That Thing You Do

3. Jesus Christ Superstar

4. Hedwig and the Angry Inch

5. High School Musical (counting the 3 together, 3 wasn't great but I enjoyed 1 and 2-- I still really love Efron angry prancing & singing on the golf course)

6. Across the Universe

7. Pete's Dragon

8.Cabaret

9. An American Tail

10. Rent

11. Krush Groove

12. The Fantasticks

13. Repo! The Genetic Opera

14. The Phantom of the Paradise

15. Tommy

ย 

And Hairspray I have seen, I saw in theaters when it came out. I remember decently liking it.

But I haven't seen since so I'm not really sure where I'd put it.

• Like 3

Wait no one helped me figure out where the hell their vaginas went when they grew legs.

ย 

This may have been a thing I was really focused on throughout this film...

ย 

Mine was "do mermaids poop?"

• Like 5

I still really love Efron angry prancing & singing on the golf course

We can all agree that's the best moment of any of the movies we've watched, right?

ย 

tumblr_mmwkv69uUX1r1r1ugo1_400.gif

• Like 5

My list:

ย 

1. Cabaret

2. High School Musical

3. Phantom of the Paradise

4. The Fantasticks

5. JC Superstar

6. Rent

7. Across the Universe (but #1 in my heart)

8. Pete's Dragon

9. American Tail

99. Tommy

100. Repo!

ย 

I didn't watch (or rewatch) the following:

Hedwig

Krush Groove

Beauty and the Beast

That Thing You Do

Hairspray

• Like 3

I came into this late, so I only saw a few of these. But I will say I do own Rent and Hairspray apropos of nothing.

ย 

High School Musical

That Thing You Do!

An American Tail

Repo! The Genetic Opera

ย 

ย 

Didn't watch:

The Fantasticks

Krush Groove

• Like 4

High School Musical

Cabaret

Rent

Hedwig

Jesus Christ Superstar

Hairspray

That Thing You Do!

Tommy

The Fantasticks

Krush Groove

Repo! The Genetic Opera

Across the Universe

Beauty and the Beast

An American Tail

Pete's Dragon

EXPLAIN YOURSELF IMMEDIATELY

• Like 4

You guys are lucky that I didn't put forward Menahem Golan's pet project. From my not even complete watching of the movie it would have been an assured bottom ranker in everyone's list.

• Like 1

ย 

Since we're now into round 2 of MM, I thought we might like to rank, based on our own personal enjoyment, all of the MM films in the first round. Aside from the blanket truth that Across the Universe is everyone's number 1, how do you rank them? (you can obviously exclude ones you didn't get to see).

ย 

ย 

1. That Thing You Do!

ย 

2. The Phantom of the Paradise (Close CLOSE second place)

ย 

3. An American Tail

ย 

4. Pete's Dragon

ย 

5. Repo! The Genetic Opera

ย 

6. High School Musical

ย 

ย 

ย 

P.S.: I finished "The Lure" but I still need some time to "polish" ( ;) #NotSorryNEVERSORRY ) my handfull of notes...

ย 

Will be posting in the next hour...

ย 

ย 

HAPPY VACATION CINCO!!!

• Like 3

EXPLAIN YOURSELF IMMEDIATELY

ย 

I mean I LOVED watching all of these movies, however, out of all of them, I've watched BatB many times before. So, it wasn't like I didn't or don't like it. And if I was making a list based on quality, it would be near to or at the top of my list. Honestly, I'm not really happy with my list, because the more I think about it, the more it fluctuates.

• Like 1

I mean I LOVED watching all of these movies, however, out of all of them, I've watched BatB many times before. So, it wasn't like I didn't or don't like it. And if I was making a list based on quality, it would be near to or at the top of my list. Honestly, I'm not really happy with my list, because the more I think about it, the more it fluctuates.

Okay so your list is just different than what I thought the lists were going to be. That makes more sense. Cause I am gonna do mine based on how much I enjoy the film regardless of how many times I've seen it before.

• Like 2

Okay so your list is just different than what I thought the lists were going to be. That makes more sense. Cause I am gonna do mine based on how much I enjoy the film regardless of how many times I've seen it before.

That was what I went with, too.

ย 

Cameron's just a loose cannon that plays by his own rules.

• Like 4

That was what I went with, too.

ย 

Cameron's just a loose cannon that plays by his own rules.

ย 

Honestly, I don't even want Pete's Dragon or American Tale to be as low as they are. I really don't want anything to be at the bottom at all. I loved watching all of these.

• Like 4

ย 

Honestly, I don't even want Pete's Dragon or American Tale to be as low as they are. I really don't want anything to be at the bottom at all. I loved watching all of these.

YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL, CAMERON!

• Like 4

Sorry, y'all! Yesterday ended up being busier than I had thought it would be, so I'm just getting a chance to give my take.

ย 

I also really the movie thematically. Smoczynska has said that she views the mermaids as standing in for (among other things) immigrants. But surely they can represent any exploited group. When the mermaids show up on the beach, everyone's first thought is how to make money off of them. No one (not even Mietek) makes any attempt to humanize them or treat them as anything other than something to exploit - either financially or sexually.

ย 

So the sisters are left with the choice of either humanizing/integrating themselves like Silver tries to do or just not really giving a shit and continuing to do their own thing like Golden does. Silver sacrifices her tail, her voice, and ultimately herself to try to fit into this society where no one has really welcomed her. Even the guy that supposedly loves her tells her that she's just an animal in his eyes.

ย 

But Golden just keeps doing her thing. She doesn't try to change into anything different just to appease the people who are exploiting her. And in the end, that's why she survives. I think it's important that she killed Mietek in the end - not as a way of avenging her sister - but as a way of taking control over the people who have been taking advantage of the sisters for the entire movie.

ย 

If I remember correctly Triton first tells Golden that if someone fall in love with a human (Bobo Peter in this case) and that human marries someone else if the mermaid in question does not eat him then she would become foam and die. At first I thought/felt there was like a Love triangle brewing between the 2 sisters and the bass player (I first noticed it at the end of the clothes store shopping spree song) Like he choose Silver and Golden got jealous and started to try to make them,break up (both for her sel"fish"ness and to look out for her sister) But my theory was that Golden was (a little bit) in love with bass dude as well, so at the end it was a revenge for Silver's bubbly demise and to save herself (Again, that was the theory I had in my head as I watched... The minority/immigrants/foreign angle works better)

ย 

Okay I finally got to watch it. I expected more man eating.

ย 

I counted 4 men eaten and one thumb (One in the car, two in the bank, and Bass Guy, and the thumb of older man drummer) My version was 1hour32mins there was another version wich I did not see that was 1hour28mins (It could be a 4min cut or a NTSC/PAL time difference)

ย 

Okay here's my actual take on the movie now that I've had some time to sit on it.

ย 

It was both exactly what I expected and not at all what I expected at the same time. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't rely on the Little Mermaid story so much like others have mentioned. I really expected it to be this slasher musical flick that had a ton of girls eating flesh (has anyone seen Raw yet? I've heard that is amazing) and hiding the fact that they are actually monsters using their music to lure victims. But really we only see like three instances of murder with little pay off and that felt really disappointing. I didn't give a SHIT about Silver's love for Bobo!Bieber and I really just wanted murder.

ย 

I saw Raw It's a must see... (I won't go into details so you go in as clean as possible)

ย 

I was busy trying to think up names for that body part.

ย 

Fingina maybe?

ย 

Did anybody think that the Drumer and Club Owner Guy made a "joke" about the Fingina smelling like fish at the end of that scene??? Because the scene after the title the owner goes around the backstage, the kitchen, the dressing rooms pretty pissed off about the smell but then when he is shown that they are mermaids and sees their Finginas he shrugs it off and says he does not mind?

• Like 1