๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

My notes...

ย 

* The names of bands in this movie (Figs 'n' Dates, Ballad & Romance) made me want to start a band named "Netflix and Chill"

ย 

* Just before the club owner guy opens the door discovers the mermaid sisters in the dressing room in the wall a the left of/outside the door there are a LOT of posters for the Trio Band "Figs 'n' Dates" (Older Lady, Bassist, Drummer) Now that I know that the movie is set in the '80 my guess is that some of those posters can be as old as 10/15 years (so late '60 early '70. Its not a NEW band) One theory I had is that after the Mermaids came out of the water with the help of the two men in the band, The washed out band (Figs 'n' Dates) got back in the music game with a steady gig at the night club. This is supported by the fact that the patrons and staff of said nightclub (exept maybe the owner) are almost (unconsciously? uncontrolablly? maybe?) choreographed dancing to the beat of the mermaid song or to the "NEW" sound of "F&D" The other part of the theory is that they where struggling hard, they were homeless, heating their sausages/food out of trashcan fires and being street musicians by the shore... And they teamed up with the mermaid sisters for their second shot at fame (Something told me that they where BIG big some time ago, then went away and were forgotten. I cant believe they were consistently/constantly famous for over a decade just by doing nightclub gigs) ... That was my theory

ย 

* If the band Aqua had a dissclaimer for the "Barbie Girl" song saying that it was not about the Mattel doll, does the scene where the drummer shows the mermaids naked to the owner need a disclaimer as well or it gets a pass because is "a joke"???

ย 

* In the photo shoot scene (where the mermaids had bunny ears) all I could think of was the centerfold for that issue would surely be twice or even 3 times longer than a standard one and would be a hassle to fold in and out ;)

ย 

* This movie is from Janus Films (La Jetee, The Red Balloon amongst many MANY other classics) I went to their website and found this...

ย 

https://s3.amazonaws...17_original.pdf

ย 

* A while ago I saw a Pro-Envirnment/action/Rom-Com from China called "The Mermaid/Mei ren yu" (2016)

I liked it a LOT its from Stephen Chow, the same guy who directed "Kung Fu Hustle" (2004) and since we are in the suject of mermaids I figured it was a good time to recomend it. Here is the trailer...

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Qfwwlo4bw

ย 

* My favourite cameo/underused character was the (main?) female cook Mrs. Rockets... I would not mind seeing a movie about her story with her as the main character

ย 

ย 

P.S.: Other notes that I had were similar to what was written in the 7 pages before so I did not post them, but I liked a bunch of your posts :D

• Like 4

* A while ago I saw a Pro-Envirnment/action/Rom-Com from China called "The Mermaid/Mei ren yu" (2016)

I liked it a LOT its from Stephen Chow, the same guy who directed "Kung Fu Hustle" (2004) and since we are in the suject of mermaids I figured it was a good time to recomend it. Here is the trailer...

This has been on my list since I heard about it last year. I think it was on Amazon Prime for a while (or maybe Fandor or something?), but when I finally decided to watch it, it was gone. But I'm glad to hear it's really good! I'll have to remember to check it out next time I'm at the video store.

• Like 3

I counted 4 men eaten and one thumb (One in the car, two in the bank, and Bass Guy, and the thumb of older man drummer) My version was 1hour32mins there was another version wich I did not see that was 1hour28mins (It could be a 4min cut or a NTSC/PAL time difference)

I think Golden ate the cop too. I still expected more, though lol.

• Like 4

ย 

ย 

Here's what I wanted: full, joyous musical number (like the shopping scene) where the mermaid's tear and eat a bunch of people. A bright and beautiful bloodbath :)

• Like 5

i thought I remembered the cop at the wedding? Or am I being Polish-blind?

• Like 5

i thought I remembered the cop at the wedding? Or am I being Polish-blind?

ย 

The cop was on TV after her "date" with Golden as well.

• Like 2

Here's what I wanted: full, joyous musical number (like the shopping scene) where the mermaid's tear and eat a bunch of people. A bright and beautiful bloodbath :)

ย 

So more like Repo! ? ;)

• Like 1

ย 

The cop was on TV after her "date" with Golden as well.

Huh I thought Golden went for her throat before they cut away to a new scene. That's the main problem I have with all the "killings" is that you really don't see much that you would think you would see. Like in the car it's a wide shot before you see blood everywhere on the windows. When Golden and Silver attack together you don't see anything until afterwards when they're munching on organs. Even with Bobo Peter they cut away right as she's chomping into his neck.

ย 

I know it's probably a budget thing and they had a lot of effects done with the tails, but still I was really expecting to see some gore here lol.

ย 

And I hate gore! Why did I even want that???

• Like 2

Huh I thought Golden went for her throat before they cut away to a new scene. That's the main problem I have with all the "killings" is that you really don't see much that you would think you would see. Like in the car it's a wide shot before you see blood everywhere on the windows. When Golden and Silver attack together you don't see anything until afterwards when they're munching on organs. Even with Bobo Peter they cut away right as she's chomping into his neck.

Golden moves towards her neck, and the cop points a gun at her head.

ย 

And, yeah, then she's on tv a scene or two later.

• Like 3

ย 

So more like Repo! ? ;)

If any movie could use some direct-to-camera expositional talk-singing, I think it's The Lure. I think I would have enjoyed Golden and Silver telling us how delicious the man-flesh they just ate was. Plus it would clarify their body count for us!

• Like 3

Who here thought Silver looked like Alison Pill a little bit??? (I did!)

ย 

The-Lure-1200x520.jpgalison_pill_01.jpg

ย 

P.S.: When I saw "Monster Trucks" I kept thinking Lucas Till has to be related to John Cena (Like a son or a baby brother lol), and started calling him mini-John Cena or John Chin-A ('Cuz of Lucas Till's Chin)

ย 

Lucas-Till-lucas-till-7931993-303-393.jpgJohn-Cena-john-cena-24507839-454-462.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, Fister, for sharing The Lure with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm glad I did :)

• Like 5

Thank You Fister! for me "The Lure" is one movie that you grow to love the more and more you watch it... Great pick!

ย 

ย 

Thanks, Cameron H, for sharing "Monster Trucks" with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm SOOOOO glad I did :):D

ย 

fify ;)

• Like 3

Agreed - although The Lure had some issues, I'm glad I've watched it.

ย 

Looking forward to Cameron H's week as well. Not necessarily for the pick itself, but more so that he will have posted it hours before I even wake up on Monday.

• Like 6

Thanks, Fister, for sharing The Lure with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm glad I did :)

ย 

Agreed - although The Lure had some issues, I'm glad I've watched it.

ย 

Looking forward to Cameron H's week as well. Not necessarily for the pick itself, but more so that he will have posted it hours before I even wake up on Monday.

ย 

My thought's exactly!

giphy.gif

• Like 5