Episode 168 - Hard Ticket to Hawaii: LIVE!

87 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,027 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

HDTGM All-stars Andrea Savage (I’m Sorry) and Karen Kilgariff (My Favorite Murder) joins Paul and Jason to discuss the 1987 action thriller Hard Ticket to Hawaii. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about serious conversations in hot tubs, blowing up skateboarders with bazookas, throwing nunchucks, and getting messages in sandwiches delivered by a sushi restaurant.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.
Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

So glad this movie was covered as I'd seen the skateboard scene many times but had no idea where it was from. I had a hard time remembering any character’s name, so eventually I paired things down to Blonde #1 and #2 and Dumb Dildo Ryu and Ken (plus Sports Dildo).

I have a lot of sympathy for the snake. Imagine the life it lead prior to when we first see it. It was either born into captivity or it was cruelly taken from its home and/or a possible family to a medical research facility, to be injected with who knows what and given rat cancer. Each day must feel like eternity until one miraculous moment when a shipping error finds the snake in a tropical paradise. It's free, maybe for the first time ever. Alone, except for the memories of how it suffered at the hands of men, lamenting the life it never and will never have, slowing dying of cancer. The snake eventually comes across the happy honeymooning couple, which represent everything that has been taken away from it. Maybe it's hunger, or instinct, or just an emotional lapse, but it kills them. Its life force ebbing away, the snake finds a cool dark place to rest in and die (the pipe under the women’s bungalow). Does it dream while it settles here? I would assume there would be nothing but nightmares. Perhaps awakening from and trying to flee these nightmares, it bursts up through the toilet, but the snake sees its reflection in the mirror, the haggard specter staring back causes the snake to have another breakdown, shattering the mirror and trashing the bathroom.
Pathetically the snake crawls toward Blonde #2 begging for release from this hell. It sees the smuggler jerk from earlier who had tried to hurt it, recognizes that he wants to harm this woman, and kills him not just for his transgressions against the snake but to save the snake's unlikely saviors. Having helped someone in its final moments the snake finds peace and is ready to truly be free. Unfortunately, the woman shoots the snake non-fatally in the face twice before it is blown up by Dumb Dildo Ken’s rocket launcher. That's your hard ticket to Hawaii.

#3 Edded by dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:25 AM

If u go down on her ur gonna be kissing the back of my head cuz I'll already gonna be there

#4 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:35 AM

Posted Image

it's one of the most bizarre things i've seen in a while .. a grown man wearing ugly assed shorts doing skateboard tricks in hawaii whilst holding a gun in one hand and a blow up doll in the other ... not to mention all the stuff that came before and after ... HDTGM indeed

#5 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

1. This would not have been a good one for June. Wise move to sit it out.
2. I never watch it, but I want to see this Family Feud episode. Steve Harvey sucks.
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#6 FrancisRizzo3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

Why did Jade fist fight the bad guy? The heroes had no compunction about killing, so why not just have Rowdy shoot him? Was there a vendetta we didn't see? Or was it that Rowdy was THAT bad a shot?

When Edy changes to pick up the guys (for no good reason) why the cut aways to the girl in the pool in the whIte swimsuit? I expected something to happen, but nothing. Not even some trademark Sidaris boobs.

Did Stephen Segal pattern himself after Jade?

When do we see a remake with Rob Heubel as Rowdy?

#7 Good times2the Max!miliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

CamBert... was this the format you saw H.T.T.H. in??? ;)

http://www.zgrade.co...panese-vhs-tape

#8 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

I'm only a few minutes into the podcast but calling this a feminist movie as they do makes me legit angry. Just passing the Bechdel test doesn't make a movie pro women. Just having the women be badasses doesn't make it pro women.

The scene that bothered me the most, beyond the "you practically raped me" line, is the scene where the woman held hostage is strung up and tortured with a whip. It immediately cuts to a man having an orgasm so their screams blend together.

On one hand, I'm glad June didn't have to watch this but I wish she had to take everyone to task.

#9 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 04 August 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

I'm only a few minutes into the podcast but calling this a feminist movie as they do makes me legit angry. Just passing the Bechdel test doesn't make a movie pro women. Just having the women be badasses doesn't make it pro women.

The scene that bothered me the most, beyond the "you practically raped me" line, is the scene where the woman held hostage is strung up and tortured with a whip. It immediately cuts to a man having an orgasm so their screams blend together.

On one hand, I'm glad June didn't have to watch this but I wish she had to take everyone to task.

This this this this this

Posted Image

A movie that passes the Bechdel Test is not automatically good for women. Remember that EVERY TWILIGHT MOVIE PASSES. Think about that.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#10 Give Me Your Baby 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

I wanted them to talk about Rowdy and Jade doing racist impressions of Bruce Lee while half assedly doing martial arts sparring on a boat at the beginning.

Also everyone on Molokai except for the cops at the beginning and one henchman are white. I know the movie was made in different time but it was Hawaii 5-0ing PoC hard.

#11 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

I thought "Hard Ticket" referred to it being a hard way to get to visit Hawaii. As in Taryn probably thought it was going to be an easy assignment to a wonderful part of the world but instead she ended up chasing murderous drug dealers and running from contaminated snakes on a former leper colony

#12 Good times2the Max!miliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I wonder if the people who made "School of Rock" got the idea for the first part of their credits from "Hard Ticket to Hawaii"???

#13 Good times2the Max!miliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

(I can't post more than 1 video link in a post)

Also the guys who did Detention...

#14 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

wait .. there is a directors cut?? is this the one on youtube???

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00005Q2ZU

#15 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Do airplanes typically land on golf courses? Do they pull into parking lots like normal cars would?

I'm not familiar with the vagaries of small aircraft.

#16 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Donna says that there has never been a snake on the island but for some reason there were 2 snakes in the warehouse that day. we're told one, a healthy one, was going to the wildlife park for display. but what's the plan with the second one. where were they delivering the deadly contaminated snake to? and why would you risk sending a deadly diseased snake anywhere when you know it's going to be dead in a couple of days. just leave it where it is and let it die and then get rid of it.

there was so much work went in to get that snake into the house just so they could make a crappy jaws pun and blow it's head off with a rocket. the whole snake plot was completely unnecessary .. but totally worth it!

#17 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 04 August 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Do airplanes typically land on golf courses? Do they pull into parking lots like normal cars would?

I'm not familiar with the vagaries of small aircraft.

you should ask an experienced pilot like, i dunno ... say ..

Posted Image

i'm pretty sure this whole movie was filmed on a golf course over the quite season. there's nearly always a bunker or two in the background

#18 LTL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

I found this podcast hard to listen to; Paul seemed more confused and befuddled than normally. ...plus neither guest, including Jason, ever completed a thought or spoke in full sentences.
Also this movie was just terrible.

#19 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 04 August 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

This this this this this

Posted Image

A movie that passes the Bechdel Test is not automatically good for women. Remember that EVERY TWILIGHT MOVIE PASSES. Think about that.

I came here to make a similar point after they mentioned it early in the episode, but I should have known you and grudlian would be on the case already :)

(Someone in the previous ep thread called the thoroughly problematic last movie "feminist" because it passed the Bechdel Test, too)
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#20 LTL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I know this is not an actual financial statement (is the internet ever wrong ;) ) but I was still shocked none the less
https://www.celebrit...moss-net-worth/