Musical Mondays Off-Week 17 (Cameron H's 2nd Pick)

55 replies to this topic

#41 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 August 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

Sorry to break it to you, but the cats own you now.

And are already plotting my murder. At the last stop I came back and they were both on the driver's seat. (At each stop I would take them out of the carrier, put some water in a dish on the passenger-side floor and let them play while I went in.)
Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#42 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 08 August 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Guys. Is everyone listening to Off Book yet? I know we talked about it before, but it's seriously about to surpass HDTGM as my favorite podcast. Good thing it's on opposite sides of the week, so I don't ever have to decide on which to listen to first. This week's episode is the hardest I have laughed in a long time, so if you're not listening yet, try this one first and then go back and listen to the others (which are also GREAT).

And then go hit up the forums threads for those eps. I want this show to have all the listener interaction it deserves.

I listened to the first episode today and loved it. Not sure I'll have much to say about it in the message boards but I'll definitely be listening.

#43 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hey look, I watched Gigi today and I'm a bit confused. I mean, for a Musical Monday pick it seemed a bit out of place. I mean, there just wasn't much music to speak of. And the Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez chemistry was pretty unremarkable. No wonder this killed Martin Brest's career.

I can definitely see why this was considered one of the worst movies ever, but still puzzled about the pick.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#44 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 09 August 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hey look, I watched Gigi today and I'm a bit confused. I mean, for a Musical Monday pick it seemed a bit out of place. I mean, there just wasn't much music to speak of. And the Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez chemistry was pretty unremarkable. No wonder this killed Martin Brest's career.

I can definitely see why this was considered one of the worst movies ever, but still puzzled about the pick.

No, no. I see what happened here. You watched Gigli. We're watching Gigi - the Musical about child prostitution...
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#45 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostCameron H., on 09 August 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

No, no. I see what happened here. You watched Gigli. We're watching Gigi - the movie about child prostitution...

Oh! OH! Oh oh oh!

That explains so much.

I kept waiting for the singing, and then I thought that Christopher Walken or Al Pacino might do a little soft-shoe but instead Al just shot that guy in the face. Justin Bartha could have sung a whole number about The Baywatch. Missed opportunity.

Time to watch the one about... child... prostitution...?
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#46 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 09 August 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Oh! OH! Oh oh oh!

That explains so much.

I kept waiting for the singing, and then I thought that Christopher Walken or Al Pacino might do a little soft-shoe but instead Al just shot that guy in the face. Justin Bartha could have sung a whole number about The Baywatch. Missed opportunity.

Time to watch the one about... child... prostitution...?

And...not a lot of dancing. There's tons of sitting and singing, though...
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#47 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostCameron H., on 09 August 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

And...not a lot of dancing. There's tons of sitting and singing, though...

Gigi is the Fleet Foxes of musicals.

#48 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

If you want a movie about child prostitution with VERY little singing and/or dancing you could always watch Pretty Baby (with Brooke Shields) or Taxi Driver (with Jodie Foster).
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."

#49 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 09 August 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

If you want a movie about child prostitution with VERY little singing and/or dancing you could always watch Pretty Baby (with Brooke Shields) or Taxi Driver (with Jodie Foster).

Nope. I'm good for now.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#50 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Why are we watching a movie about an aging male golfer?

Posted Image

#51 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

Hey, everyone! I just found this ultra rare photo of Maurice Chevalier...

Spoiler

Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#52 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

View PostCameron H., on 10 August 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Hey, everyone! I just found this ultra rare photo of Maurice Chevalier...

Spoiler

Posted Image

#53 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

She's right, she's right!

#54 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

OK I can be the butt of jokes. I had NO IDEA Maurice Chevalier is actually in the movie! I looked on YouTube to try and compare/contrast him with Louis Jourdan and then I found out.

Posted Image

#55 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

I also had no idea Chevalier was a painter. How did we miss him in the painter pun thread?

Posted Image

#56 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hmmm... coming into this late makes me slightly nervous about actually watching this but I trust my fellow Cameron. Maybe I'll wait another day or two.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)