🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 17 (Cameron H's 2nd Pick)

Oh, shit, guys, what do you think it's going to be?

giphy.gif

GsJSEuc.gif

• Like 6

giphy.gif

I LOVE Muppets Take Manhatten! At one point, that was going to be my pick, but I wanted to do something I wasn't really familiar with instead.

Okay, fine, I won't keep this up any longer....

For the most part, it has been my intention to only pick Musicals I've never seen before, but for this pick, I've decided to kind of break that rule. "Kind of" because I have seen it, I remember loving it, but I don't remember anything about it. This was a movie that my Guga (i.e. my paternal grandmother) showed my sister and I when I was...I don't know...probably about 6 or 7. I've always remembered the experience of watching it, but nothing about the details. Then as I was going through Musicals I might pick, I saw the synopsis for this movie, and I couldn't help thinking, "What were you showing us Guga?"

So, without further ado, my 2nd pick is....

gigi-movie-poster-1958-1020196580.jpg

From IMDb: "Weary of the conventions of Parisian society, a rich playboy and a youthful courtesan-in-training enjoy a platonic friendship, but it might not stay platonic for long."

Just as a warning, I picked this movie before I had bothered to watch the

. After watching it, I had some real reservations, but you know what: Fuck it. This is my pick and I'm sticking with it. ;)
  • Like 8

Oh, that "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" number looks very upsetting...

Also, how'd the get Lumiere for the trailer VO?

• Like 5

Oh, that "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" number looks very upsetting...

Also, how'd the get Lumiere for the trailer VO?

That's what I was thinking, too! I was like, "Eww, gross..."

• Like 5

I'll never be able to hear that song again without thinking of the terrible 'My Father the Hero' in which Katherine Heigl pretends her father is her lover to impress some kids on a cruise ship and then he sings this song...

• Like 5

I'll never be able to hear that song again without thinking of the terrible 'My Father the Hero' in which Katherine Heigl pretends her father is her lover to impress some kids on a cruise ship and then he sings this song...

*June voice* This is really upsetting...

• Like 6

Was this a movie produced and written by Don Dimello?

• Like 6

Man, I just watched that trailer again. I'm getting kind of nervous...and excited.

• Like 4

Man, I just watched that trailer again. I'm getting kind of nervous...and excited.

an+american+in+paris+smile.gif

• Like 5

636050997153720494392110286_giphy%20(1).gif

I swear I posted this earlier, but I guess it was sacrificed to the forums gods...

How was your vacation? You excited about Gigi? I can feel everyone's enthusiasm through the web-o-sphere...:)

• Like 1

I've never seen Gigi. So bring it!

200.gif#45-grid1

I do love My Fair Lady (another Lerner & Loewe). BUT they're also responsible for Paint Your Wagon...so.. yeah.. haha.

I'm interested in seeing where it lands on that scale.

• Like 3

I've never seen Gigi. So bring it!

200.gif#45-grid1

I do love My Fair Lady (another Lerner & Loewe). BUT they're also responsible for Paint Your Wagon...so.. yeah.. haha.

I'm interested in seeing where it lands on that scale.

I watched it this morning, and for me, it vacillated from pissing me off and charming me and back again. The only character I truly liked was Gigi (and - to a lesser extent -her grandmother), but I think this was by design.

It's actually pretty good. I wasn't bored, but it was very "French" and very of its time. Actually, the more I write about it, the more I think I liked it...

• Like 2

Guys. Is everyone listening to Off Book yet? I know we talked about it before, but it's seriously about to surpass HDTGM as my favorite podcast. Good thing it's on opposite sides of the week, so I don't ever have to decide on which to listen to first. This week's episode is the hardest I have laughed in a long time, so if you're not listening yet, try this one first and then go back and listen to the others (which are also GREAT).

And then go hit up the forums threads for those eps. I want this show to have all the listener interaction it deserves.

• Like 5

I'm about half way through Gigi and I think it caught me at a bad time. It's unfortunate that it had to follow Chopping Mall and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. My tolerance lately is really low and every other scene in Gigi kind of grosses me out. And it doesn't really help that Thank Heaven for Little Girls is stuck in my head.

• Like 6

I'm about half way through Gigi and I think it caught me at a bad time. It's unfortunate that it had to follow Chopping Mall and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. My tolerance lately is really low and every other scene in Gigi kind of grosses me out. And it doesn't really help that Thank Heaven for Little Girls is stuck in my head.

My experience was pretty much the same. Every time it would win me over something fucked up would happen, and I would be back at square one. The ending song doesn't help either...

I guess we should wait to get more into it next week, although I do have some shit to say.

• Like 5