64 replies to this topic

#41 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

it's a bit quiet here this week so i'm gona throw this out here now rather than wait till wednesday ...

i watched "doomed! the untold story of rodger cormans fantastic four". you've probably heard of it or seen it. here's the trailer:

i actually really enjoyed the doc. everyone involved with making the movie really put their hearts into it. i know it's a one sided view of it but they really got shafted.

anyway, i was just wondering if anyone has watched the unreleased movie. is it worth watching. i'm sure it's been covered on other podcasts but is it worth the HDTGM treatment? it can't be any worse than the star wars holiday special... or the garbage pail kids for that matter .. and there's a pretty good copy of it on youtube so it's widely available ... again, unlike the garbage pail kids. or is it just too easy a target?

#42 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 13 August 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

it's a bit quiet here this week so i'm gona throw this out here now rather than wait till wednesday ...

i watched "doomed! the untold story of rodger cormans fantastic four". you've probably heard of it or seen it. here's the trailer:

i actually really enjoyed the doc. everyone involved with making the movie really put their hearts into it. i know it's a one sided view of it but they really got shafted.

anyway, i was just wondering if anyone has watched the unreleased movie. is it worth watching. i'm sure it's been covered on other podcasts but is it worth the HDTGM treatment? it can't be any worse than the star wars holiday special... or the garbage pail kids for that matter .. and there's a pretty good copy of it on youtube so it's widely available ... again, unlike the garbage pail kids. or is it just too easy a target?

I watched both the doc and the movie recently. This was my Letterboxd review:

It isn't as terrible as you might think, but it's not as good-bad as you'd want it to be either. Its greatest crime is that it's kind of boring. However, that being said, they capture the tone pretty well. The newer F4 movies could have done a lot worse than use this movie as a storyboard.

I watched the full movie on YouTube, here's the link!

Hopefully that works for you! It's worth checking out even if it's not worth sitting through.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#43 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostCameron H., on 13 August 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Hopefully that works for you! It's worth checking out even if it's not worth sitting through.

i think i might. the cast and crew were so passionate about it but i doubt it will live up to their emotions. next weekends viewing me thinks .. unless i forget

#44 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 13 August 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

i think i might. the cast and crew were so passionate about it but i doubt it will live up to their emotions. next weekends viewing me thinks .. unless i forget

Here's my review for Doomed:

Quite possibly the most depressing superhero movie since Catwoman. The saddest part of all is the cast and crew's insistence that it could still be released in some format today and make "millions." Oh, honey...no.

Drinking Game: Anytime someone says, "We poured our blood, sweat, and tears..." or "I think that's when I started to realize..." take a shot.

I will say this: the cast do a pretty great job. You can tell that they aren't phoning it in. The only person I remember thinking was a little off was the guy who played Ben Grimm. To me, he played it a little too much like an "aww, shucks" milk drinking, non-swearing, Clark Kent-type. Maybe this was to juxtapose it with his angst after becoming The Thing (in fact, I'm sure this what the we're going for), but it really didn't work for me.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#45 Sam.

Earwolf Engineer Extraordinaire

• Moderators
  • 84 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 12 August 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Me when someone other than Paul started talking during the Paul's Pick of the Week section:

Posted Image

I should have introduced myself, apologies.

#46 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

I saw Fantastic Four sometime before the Jessica Alba/Chris Evans version came out. My memory is pretty close to Cameron's review. It looks as cheap as it is but I still liked it okay. It's arguably the best Fantastic Four movie yet.

I wasn't aware of the documentary. I'll have to check it out.

#47 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

I'm about 20 minutes into this one and am liking it so far, but I will recommend the documentary on Amazon about the making of Pet Sematary called Unearthed and Untold. It's not like other making of documentaries about infamous flops like Doomed or Lost Souls, but it is pretty detailed in how the much work went into making that film and how involved the Maine town where the film was shot was involved with making the film. Pretty interesting watch if you enjoy Stephen King's books or movies.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#48 Royboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

We are way overdue for another bad comic superhero movie getting covered on HDTGM. A double feature of Roger Corman and Josh Trank's FF movies would make for a perfect live show pairing. Because they both need to be covered. I've seen the Corman one three times in my life and The Jeweler alone deserves a lot of the discussion.

#49 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

Holy shit, there was almost a CGI remake of this made in 2013 produced by Michael Eisner and directed by Oscar nominated short film director PES. Why the fuck would they think this film warranted a remake?
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#50 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

I know the board skews younger but did anyone else collect GPK cards when they were kids?

I remember having the first and second runs, full sets each, before giving them away in elementary school.

The drunk one was always my favorite -- I obviously had no conception of drunkenness at the time.

#51 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I know the board skews younger but did anyone else collect GPK cards when they were kids?

I remember having the first and second runs, full sets each, before giving them away in elementary school.

The drunk one was always my favorite -- I obviously had no conception of drunkenness at the time.

I collected them as well but my parents hated them. So, I never had that many and certainly not a full set from any series. I really liked the Alien Ian one at lot.

#52 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:00 AM

My baby keeps vocalizing whenever a character in Garbage Pail Kids speaks forcing me to focus solely on the visuals. I wish I knew what I did to piss him off...
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#53 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

View PostCameron H., on 17 August 2017 - 02:00 AM, said:

My baby keeps vocalizing whenever a character in Garbage Pail Kids speaks forcing me to focus solely on the visuals. I wish I knew what I did to piss him off...

Making him watch Garbage Pail Kids is probably pissing him off.

#54 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 17 August 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Making him watch Garbage Pail Kids is probably pissing him off.

If I've gotta do it then so does he! Besides, what else can I do? I'm not going to have him learn about interdimensional fart monsters on the street.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#55 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

paul sent out another newsletter today giving details of upcoming live shows and it looks like we're getting a halloween special this year cause their reviewing the howling 2 in DC on the 27th october. i know this is early but it's streaming on TubiTV for free:

http://tubitv.com/vi...r_is_a_werewolf

i'm posting this now because you know these streaming sites, it might not be there come october, so if you're looking for something to watch over the next few weeks or you want to screengrab it or something, you can. for free!!! ... i should really be getting a kick back from Tubi by now ..

#56 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

look who just got a dream writing gig

http://www.slashfilm...es-paul-scheer/

Posted Image

congrats paul!!!!!

#57 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 17 August 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

look who just got a dream writing gig

http://www.slashfilm...es-paul-scheer/

Posted Image

congrats paul!!!!!

One of my favorite movies! So glad its future is in Paul's capable hands. I can't wait to see it!
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#58 Ofcoursemyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Very happy for Paul, this is also one of my favorite movies ever. I can't wait to watch.

Same cannot be said of a rebooted King of The Hill. I just got done marathoning every season and it ended on a darn near perfect note as long as you watched the actual season finale after the last aired episode.

The thought of it coming back without significant involvement from Mike Judge is troubling to say the least.

#59 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:38 AM

View PostOfcoursemyhorse, on 17 August 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Same cannot be said of a rebooted King of The Hill.

???????????????????????????????????/

are they rebooting it??????????? to quote paul "NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!" some shows are off limits and that's near the top of the list. just leave it alone FOX!!!!!!

#60 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:39 AM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 17 August 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

paul sent out another newsletter today giving details of upcoming live shows and it looks like we're getting a halloween special this year cause their reviewing the howling 2 in DC on the 27th october.

I love that movie. The end credits cracked me up as a kid, as an adult though... oh boy. At least the theme song is still rad.