Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

182 replies to this topic

#21 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 18 August 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

Correction: The best movie based on a Topps chewing gum trading card series is 100% Mars Attacks.

Posted Image

#22 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

The most entertaining and well-made part of this movie is the 30 seconds-ish of Three Stooges we get, and even then, it's a fucking SHEMP!!

#23 Wil Dride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Were in a bucket in goo form? Changed into vaguely humanoid shape. Possibly came from space? Anyone else thinking the GP Kids were just a bunch of Odos from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine?

https://soundcloud.c...-mean-to-pixley

#24 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

Paul referenced Captain Corelli's Mandolin a Nic Cage movie where Penelope Cruz is the love interest

#25 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostCostacoast, on 18 August 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Did anyone notice the large painting hanging in the basement of the antique shop, featuring what looks like Will Ferrel's character from the "Lovers" sketch on SNL and a RenFaire actress? It's very creepy.

Fun fact:
That picture is actually of the notorious special effects and creature designer John Carl Buechler. He ran Roger Corman's effects shop in the 80s and 90s and directed Friday the 13th VII and the original Troll, but he's probably best known for creating the Ghoulies from the Ghoulies series of movies. In fact the over his shoulder in the picture is the main Ghoulie. He worked on this film in designing the make up for the Garbagepail Kids.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#26 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 18 August 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

He worked on this film in designing the make up for the Garbagepail Kids.

Ooof, that's a credit you'd 'accidentally' leave off your resume. It's jobs like that which Alan Smithee credits were invented for.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#27 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 18 August 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Ooof, that's a credit you'd 'accidentally' leave off your resume. It's jobs like that which Alan Smithee credits were invented for.

Or additionally you leave it on and when asked about it claim you were given $100 to make them all and look how much you did with so little!
No, you're right. Alan Smithee all the way.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...

#28 Trurl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Who says the show pictures need to be taken on an LG flip phone?

#29 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

So, there's an episode of the Cosby Show (link) where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called "The Gross-out Gang," and I'll be damned if it doesn't seem like a direct reference to the GPK Movie -- silly music and gross noises with very little actual dialogue heard. Even before I watched this movie, I remember thinking that Gross-out Gang had to be a GPK send-up. But no! Turns out that the Gross-out Gang is an actual thing:

Posted Image

I mean, goddamn, how much of this does the world need?

#30 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

"When we come to the audience, you can do your screaming then...question mark?" I kind of wanted Jason to go off on the people who were shouting dumb shit.

Like, there's a part of the show that encourages audience participation, and it's not the first half. People didn't come to the show to hear you shout nonsense; they want to hear the people on stage.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#31 wiscomedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Omission: I was really hoping for extended discussion of the fact that one of the creators of the Garbage Pail Kids is Art Spiegelman, creator the famous graphic-novel Holocaust memoir Maus:

http://www.slate.com...pail_kids_.html

Properly understood Garbage Pail Kids is clearly an elaborate metaphor for the impossibility of beauty after Auschwitz.

#32 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

Or additionally you leave it on and when asked about it claim you were given $100 to make them all and look how much you did with so little!
No, you're right. Alan Smithee all the way.

I've always found the Troll and Ghoulies puppets/costumes to be strangely adorable, so these costumes being so off putting was a shock. I'm choosing to believe that they didn't give him much of a budget to work with considering this mess of a movie and how badly the original artists were ripped off.

#33 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

View Postwiscomedy, on 18 August 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Omission: I was really hoping for extended discussion of the fact that one of the creators of the Garbage Pail Kids is Art Spiegelman, creator the famous graphic-novel Holocaust memoir Maus:
Maus was part of the reason why Spiegelman bailed before the cards really got going, IIRC.

Spiegelman would later become the cover artist for the New Yorker.

Posted Image

#34 Crummy Scrimmage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmityville, PA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

I loved Jason's constant bewilderment over Foul Phil (the "straight-up baby"). I listened to the ep again just for those segments.
Posted Image

#35 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Slight minor correction not of Paul but for his Wikipedia based information. In Japan the cards were called ぶきみくん Bukimi-kun which somebody translated as Mr. Creepy. In my opinion it's not really a good translation. Bukimi could translate as creepy or eerie, but it's the mister part that's really kind of inaccurate. In Japanese the suffix of -san after the name can be used for men and women regardless of age and is a pretty much one point translation to mister or miss. However, there are other post name suffixs that carry a more nuanced meaning that often doesn't translate in English. Kun is one of them. It's a term of affection or familiarity used mostly with young boys. We don't really do this in English. It would kinda be like calling a boy "Davie" instead of "David". Not really the same but close as we can get. The point is by calling them -kun you are denoting that they are children and not really applying the title or mister to them. Also important to note in Japanese there is no singular or plural, so the name refers to all of them not just one. Therefore in my opinion a better named would be "The Creepies" and not "Mr. Creepy."

Or... we go by the full title of the movie in Japan.
ダーティ・キッズ ぶきみくん Daati Kizzu Bukimi-Kun or Dirty Kids, The Creepies.
Posted Image

#36 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

View Postwiscomedy, on 18 August 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

This is more horrifying that my Gomez Addams thoughts. That man has a Pulitzer Prize. This feels wrong.

P.S The Defenders came out today...
P.P.S. How are you today, Elektra?

I'm doing very well, Cameron! "Defenders" did come out today and I binged it all.

Spoiler

#37 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

^ clicked on the spoiler even though I only got through 3 episodes (felt like a chore btw) and it was worth it

#38 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 18 August 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

^ clicked on the spoiler even though I only got through 3 episodes (felt like a chore btw) and it was worth it

The beginning is VERY slow. But now you have something to look forward to I guess?

#39 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

Ok, so the wrong Jon Lovitz, but this was a great episode. The crew wasn't necessarily phoning it in the last few, but they didn't seem too into the task at hand. Jason was in top Zouks form here. I love that Paul was super intense watching the movie. And June? She was on fire this episode. She was awesome.

Moving on, when is real Jon Lovitz coming on the show?
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#40 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 18 August 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

So, there's an episode of the Cosby Show (link) where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called "The Gross-out Gang," and I'll be damned if it doesn't seem like a direct reference to the GPK Movie -- silly music and gross noises with very little actual dialogue heard. Even before I watched this movie, I remember thinking that Gross-out Gang had to be a GPK send-up. But no! Turns out that the Gross-out Gang is an actual thing:

Posted Image

I mean, goddamn, how much of this does the world need?

THIS IS A REAL THING? I was certain it was a parody of Garbage Pail Kids

I remember the Gross Out Gang from the Cosby show so vividly. For some reason, the way some character says, "I ate too many hot dogs" is etched into my brain and it's such a stupid reference that no one gets.